My Next Brew - Northern Brewer - Patersbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had an All Pils SMaSH with Saaz that was fermented with WLP530, which is supposed to be the same strain.

You'll be surprised at how much "stuff" you get from that yeast. Very enjoyable beer.

Nb put this in the same aging category as a barleywine? Really? Anybody go long with this one in bottles? I was thinking of trying it with the hopes that it could be a yeast builder in my belgian repetoire, but 6 months for a session beer would be too patient for this guy!

Ok nevermind. Six weeks not months- I think ill try this fella on for size its supposedly based on the "extra" type beers that don't really see the us market and rarely leave the breweries.

I brewed the all-grain version of this one and have had it in the bottle for over 4 weeks now. It's one of my favorite brews to date. It's delicious and smooth but offers amazing complexity and different flavors as the beer warms up in the glass.

Definitely give it a shot.

Honey ferments out fairly clean so other than being a little bit "thinner" from the increased alcohol it should be about the same. Add .75lb of white table sugar at the end of the boil would do about the same thing.

It will turn out really good as is. Might want to try it first before changing the recipe. :mug:

Brew Day!!

PA041567.JPG

PA041568.JPG

PA041569.JPG

PA041571.JPG

Made the all grain version of this and it was fantastic. Will be brewed again for sure.

I had great efficiency and ended up at 1.055 for an OG and finished at 1.008 so it was a bit stronger than intended but delicious none the less.

I just bottled my first Patersbier this morning and it even tastes great uncarbonated. I've got another kit waiting in the wings. I'm still new to AG, but this beer is simple, yet seems to have a unique taste.

I just bottled my first Patersbier this morning and it even tastes great uncarbonated. I've got another kit waiting in the wings. I'm still new to AG, but this beer is simple, yet seems to have a unique taste.

Funny. I thought mine tasted pretty bad at bottling time. Mrs. Gnome didn't like it either. Turned out great, though.

whoa, just measured my pre boil gravity at 1050.

I've adjusted up the hops and I'll be topping this one up until I'm in the low 40s per recipe specs.

all right! more beer!

Yeast is pitched. I'm starting this one at 67*, anyone have the temps they've fermented this sucker at with good results?

Yeast is pitched. I'm starting this one at 67*, anyone have the temps they've fermented this sucker at with good results?

I pitched mine at 59F and let it free rise to 78F (took about 2 days to get to that temp) and kept it there until it was finished. Gravity ended at 1.006 (from 1.046). There's a lot of citrus notes in mine (grapefruit) and I think it's really tasty.

I pitched mine at 59F and let it free rise to 78F (took about 2 days to get to that temp) and kept it there until it was finished. Gravity ended at 1.006 (from 1.046). There's a lot of citrus notes in mine (grapefruit) and I think it's really tasty.

Yipes that's way cooler than I thought to start!

an update/small piece of advice

If you'd like to drink this beer young, I'd advise fining the final product in some way.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying it :)

If you'd like to drink this beer young, I'd advise fining the final product in some way.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying it :)

Yes, it is very hazy young. 2-3 weeks in the fridge helps quite a bit. I'm brewing a Belgian Tripel with the same yeast (3787) and I'm going to try fining it with gelatin before bottling.

I brewed this beer without the Tradition (couldn't get them at my LHBS), substituting Hallertauer, and then used the Safbrew T-58 dry strain. It came out amazing! I took it to a brew-and-tell last Friday, and though there were 12 beers there, folks just kept hitting my keg for more. The Safbrew gave some amazing Belgian-style flavors. This is one recipe I'll keep going back to over and over!

Back