Cheap Fly Sparge Set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeScott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just converted a 60Qt Igloo Cube to a MLT this weekend, and did a test run using nothing but water, so far, so good. No leaks :)

I had read a couple of batch vs fly sparging posts, and I was thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to just cut some PVC to fit on the top of the cooler, put some holes in it, and when I'm ready to sparge, siphon the hot water into the PVC, using a valve to control flow.

My questions is, so long as I keep the water level above the grain, that should be good to go, right? Should I keep the water just above the grain, or can I just put it in as fast as I can so long as I don't disturb the bed?

Also, big thanks to everyone who posted their MLT builds, they were a huge benefit to me. I would have never known not to use Zinc hardware, and would have poisoned myself or my friends. Great forums are made by great people, and this forum is not short on those!

The only downside, is that in the last 2 days I've ran across 3 other projects I would like to do. :)

Any help is appreciated!

Fly sparging should be done as slow as possible. You want to keep the water level about 2 inches above your grains.

Batch sparging really is the easiest way to go. It's less hassle...and no matter what anyone says... I tend to get better efficiency from batch sparging.

If you want to make it out of plastic. I would suggest CPVC if you can get it rather than PVC. At sparging temperatures, PVC is likely to start melting (and possibly adding some unpleasant flavors).
Then again, a loop of silicon tubing with holes drilled in it would probably work as well.

-a.

Thanks Guys!

I didn't realize you're supposed to do fly as slow as possible. Maybe after I get a couple of batches under my belt, I'll try it. Batch sparging seems to be the simplest.

I didn't realize there was a cpvc until I went to the hardware store for the parts for my MLT cooler conversion. Luckily all the parts I bought were cpvc.

Thanks!

I built this sparge arm out of the stainless steel tube from a sanke keg spear.

arm.jpg

It works great and the price was right.
Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but my efficiencies went to hell when I tried batch sparging. Last weekend my braid got crushed during the mash and the flow was reduced to a trickle so I switched to fly sparging and my efficiency hit 80%. Compared to the 50%-60% I had when batch sparging, I think I'll go back to fly sparging.

i've been using the aluminium filter from my coffe urn hlt as the spreader unit for my sparge water. and i dont know about the whole slower is better when fly sparging thing since i open the valve all the way and set the outflow on the mlt to match. this generally gets me thru a full session in as little as 20min and still get an efficiency of over 85%.

arm.jpg

Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but my efficiencies went to hell when I tried batch sparging. Last weekend my braid got crushed during the mash and the flow was reduced to a trickle so I switched to fly sparging and my efficiency hit 80%. Compared to the 50%-60% I had when batch sparging, I think I'll go back to fly sparging.

Something was definitely wrong if you got 50% batch sparging. You could do better than that with a NO sparge. My guess is that you weren't fully converted.

arm.jpg

That's just about what I was looking at doing, except with CPVC. I'm planning on doing a couple of batch sparges first, so I'll be able to take a look at my efficiency then.

i've been using the aluminium filter from my coffe urn hlt as the spreader unit

eriktlupus - That's a good idea too! I don't mind doing it slow, but faster would be good too :)

Can you tell me what kind of connection you did in the middle ? Did you welded the ends ? Tell me more I want to build one using the spare spear I have! Thanks!

arm.jpg

I'd just like to point out at that tons of fly spargers (myself included) just flow sparge water from the HLT in slowly, with no sparge arm. If you want you can curl the tube around the inner wall of the MLT. I usually get 82% efficiency, and haven't noticed any channeling along the cooler wall. Just keep the water an inch or two above the grain bed.

I just set a colander on top of my cooler. Nothing to make or buy. But maybe that's not the point..

I am new to this as I am building my station I'm learning.

So that was a question I had from the beginning: Why do I need to spray water around, doesn't the water cools off if I drip it out reducing the extraction power ? So your answer answers it.

So the main idea with sparging is to saturate the grains with hot water to push more sugar out of the crashed grains. So I don't really need an arm.

When do I start the sparging ? Do I do it while I am getting the wort out ?

My best,
Q

I'd just like to point out at that tons of fly spargers (myself included) just flow sparge water from the HLT in slowly, with no sparge arm. If you want you can curl the tube around the inner wall of the MLT. I usually get 82% efficiency, and haven't noticed any channeling along the cooler wall. Just keep the water an inch or two above the grain bed.

This is my setup. Cost about $0.45 for the tee. Works great. Before this I used a collander for my sparging.

ForumRunner_20121026_163127.jpg

ForumRunner_20121026_163146.png

ForumRunner_20121026_163202.jpg

Can you tell me what kind of connection you did in the middle ? Did you welded the ends ? Tell me more I want to build one using the spare spear I have! Thanks!

Not sure if he's still around but I would also love to know this.

Latest posts

Back