How long in a water bath?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marius

Reaction score
Hey, I'm cooling my fermenter in a water bath, where I put 1 litre of ice three times a day. I usually let my beer for four weeks in primary and never use a secondary.

Do you think I must put the litre of ice three times a day during the four weeks? Or just during the first week (when fermentation is harder)?

The temperature in my room is 70 - 80 F during four months.

I'm planning to build a Son of Fermentation next month but i have a Red Ale in the fermenter.

Thanks to all.

That is a lot of work and ice to keep up for any duration. Have you tried just putting a t-shirt over your carboy with some water? That can keep temps down a fair amount via the wick and evaporation. Other than that I would recommend brewing beers that ferment better at warmer temps until you get some kind of fermentation chamber going.

Hi Parker,

Yes I have the T-shirt dressing my carboy, but the tap water i fill my bath with goes at 66 F and the climate is so Humid here that the shirt doesn't do it's job.

I thought about what you say of brewing high temp beers, but after three batches of Belgian Triple and Dubble :)tank:) I wanted something softer.

Do you think I could stop putting the ice after the first week?

Anyway, I think the Son of Fermentation is calling my name from the underground....

Back