Money

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam

Reaction score
On average how much do you spend on ingredients to mak 5 to 6 gal. batches?

Average batch is ~$17. You'll probably want to sort your data points by brew method, as well. I brew AG which is generally cheaper than extract. I also reuse my yeast and went in on a bulk buy of hops this year, both of which contribute to a lower cost per batch. Once I get my fellow GRABASS'ers poisoned by the AG bug I hope to buy some bulk malt, as well.

I'm one of the GRABBASSholes that (for now) brewes with extract.

I buy DME and hops in bulk, and re-use liquid yeast for a couple batches.

If you don't buy in bulk, the price for the extract/batch goes up a few dollars. Non-bulk hops can cost 3 times as much as bulk hops, so depending on the recipe, you could be adding a lot of $.

For reference, my IPA recipe is my most expensive due to the amount of hops used. Buying non-bulk, a batch of it cost about $35. Using bulk ingredients, a batch cost about $25.

A 'normal' batch (less hops and DME than the IPA) for me costs about $20.

-walker

Hops - $1.40 (avg) per oz
DME - $11.95 for 3 lbs
Grains:$1.10 per lb
Water: $1.00 per gallon
Yeast : $6.00

So, typically it's like this:

Hops: $4.20 (nice...)
Yeast $6.00
DME $24.00
Water: $5.00
Grains: $2.20
-------------------------
SubTotal of about $41.40
Tax (8.75%) $3.62

That's if I have sanitizer, bottles, priming DME and caps.

Mine normally runs about the same depending on what I brew. I'm still a n00b, but I'll be starting my 4th batch this weekend. :ban:

Anyway, my first brew was done via an ingredient kit that was $24.95. The second was a Franziskaner clone that cost me about $45. The most recent batch was a spiced holiday ale. All said and done, after buying all the spices, it was about $55 - $60.

Also, I end up buying 7 gallons of spring water @ $0.79 / gallon and 2 bags of ice to cool the wort, which is $1.50 / bag. As Cheesefood said, that's assuming that I have all of the other incedentals.

Since I do not have a LHBS what is the best web site for ordering ingredients.

-Allen

About £6 for grain if I re-use yeast. I think thats about $10. In reality with extras like keg spares, bottle tops, liquid yeast etc it works out around £10 - 15 ($15-20). Luckily Scottish water is very clean and soft so I don't have to worry about that.

Also I'm pretty new to all-grain brewing so I can't ignore the initial outlay for equipment.

yeah, I'm normally in the 30-35 dollar range because I don't buy in bulk and I'm a hop head. those hops get expensive! I've just started splitting starters, though, so I should start saving some money.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I don't buy in bulk and I'm a hop head. those hops get expensive!

Buy yourself some bulk hops if you can store them. I think the bulk order we got last time came out to about $0.50/oz (maybe less) for hops. That's MUCH better than the $1.50/oz from the LHBS.

-walker

Walker-san said:
Buy yourself some bulk hops if you can store them. I think the bulk order we got last time came out to about $0.50/oz (maybe less) for hops. That's MUCH better than the $1.50/oz from the LHBS.

-walker

Probably a good idea. I guess cascade would be a good one to start with since it goes in so many APA's and IPA's. what ones do you buy?

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Probably a good idea. I guess cascade would be a good one to start with since it goes in so many APA's and IPA's. what ones do you buy?

The GRABASSholes split an order. We bought 2 # cascade, 1 # columbus, 1 # chinook, 1 # hersbrucker, 1 # EKG, and 1# fuggles.

The EKG was all for me.
The hersbrucker was all for BeeGee.
The others were split 2 or 3 ways.

By the way, if you order, go with hopsdirect.com. Each "pound" of hops that they sent weighed about 24 oz. :)

Yep, if you can club in with some other people bulk hops are the way to go. If you're not too finicky about exact recipes you come across you can cover a lot of ground with a few varieties.

I got the Hersbrucker and have used it for all German styles I've done...two Hefeweizens, a Weizenbock, and will use them in my Oktoberfest this weekend.

I actually did get some of the EKG and Fuggles and will use them in English beers, though frankly I haven't done any since the order. I did use some in the Highland Gaelic clone.

For the APA's/IPA's go with what you like or want to try out. The 3 C's are fairly standard, but you don't need all of them. Might try some Columbus or Amarillo.

Pale malt $5 (25kg bags)
Other malts $2 (by the #)
Hops $2 (by the #)
Yeast $2 (4 - 5 brews per vial)
Propane $3
Odds and ends less than $1
Total < $15

-a.

I also buy my base malt by the 50# bag and reuse yeast. Grain is also cheaper if you can mill it yourself. My last batch cost me around 12-15 bucks. AG brewing is definitely cheaper ingredients-wise, but the toys involved can get pricey:cross:

The cost goes down easier when I break it down to a "per beer" cost which for me is between $.65 - $.75 per 12 oz beer.

I have convinced the wife that brewing is cheaper than buying off the shelf by using this method....nevermind those new pieces of equipment!:p

Since the first of the year I have brewed over 75 gallons and have spent about $60.00. I got a great deal on ebay for most of my hops and I have been lucky and aquired a lot of my other supplies at a greatly reduced cost, but I am getting ready to start buying grain in bulk and I get my yeast free from a local micro then reuse for a few batches.

Sorry, but have to bump this thread, I blame it on me being new to brewing and a little tipsy ( not from home brew though ) As of right now I have ( on my definition) brewed 10 gallons , in which the first 5 gallons is in the botteling stage ( 2.5 gallons that I have done and drank is from a Mr. Beer Kit) so I’m wandering what is the typical brake down on cost for all grain ( thinking of changing over to a BIAG) system. I do realize this is a Hobby, but need to find a way to convince the wife for the expense of the equipment. I know i still need to do a lot of research and reading on the understanding of brewing, but figure I need to start some where as well as asking questions.

So far I have seen a system for $900.00, for a starter kit for Electric BIAB.
For a typical extract Kit that I would be interested in trying is about $47.00, and I only have the bare min for brewing ( kettle, fermenter, bitteling bucket, and a thermometer)
Planning on getting a hydrometer within the next week or so.

I would urge you to read Charlie Papazian's book 'Complete Joy of Home Brewing'. All-grain is the oldest form of brewing, and doesn't require expensive equipment at all. Charlie's book shows how to do it with simple homemade gear.

Sorry, but have to bump this thread, I blame it on me being new to brewing and a little tipsy ( not from home brew though ) As of right now I have ( on my definition) brewed 10 gallons , in which the first 5 gallons is in the botteling stage ( 2.5 gallons that I have done and drank is from a Mr. Beer Kit) so I’m wandering what is the typical brake down on cost for all grain ( thinking of changing over to a BIAG) system. I do realize this is a Hobby, but need to find a way to convince the wife for the expense of the equipment. I know i still need to do a lot of research and reading on the understanding of brewing, but figure I need to start some where as well as asking questions.

So far I have seen a system for $900.00, for a starter kit for Electric BIAB.
For a typical extract Kit that I would be interested in trying is about $47.00, and I only have the bare min for brewing ( kettle, fermenter, bitteling bucket, and a thermometer)
Planning on getting a hydrometer within the next week or so.

For BIAB, you may just need to get a bag. If your kettle is 5 gallons, you can do 2.5 gallon batches without any issues, especially if you're only doing it on an electric stove. I do 2.5 gallons myself due to my stove, but I find it's a good mixture of not too big and not too small that it's worth the time. Upfront cost of ingredients is less as well. If you want to go bigger, you'll need a larger kettle (10 gallons for five gallon batches) and possibly a propane or high quality induction burner, depending on your stove. I'd also recommend getting a decent probe thermometer. All of that would get you started with little cost.

Back