Michael Phelps likely to be banned from 2012 olympics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
That is such horse****! Ive seen this happen time and time again in the sports world and its ****ing stupid as far as I am concerned. How in the **** is THC a PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drug? Maybe it enhances the performance of your appetite?

They did the exact same **** to Nick Diaz after he choked everyones beloved lightweight Takanori Gomi (when Diaz was supposed to be Gomis sacrificial lamb)

Its all politial at this point. People fear athletes who are stupid successful due to sheer talent alone. This is crap.

Maybe I should ban the olympics and their sponsors?
-Me

Thats his own fault. What a freakin idiot. If you're going to aspire to greatness and compete on a level like that then you can't make stupid @ss mistakes like that. I got no qualm with somebody that wants to get stoned out of their mind. But not an OLYMPIC ATHLETE doing it for a newspaper pic. ............ Stupid.

WTF? That's such a load of crap. If he doesn't get into the olympics I think the debate forum will explode.

That is such horse****! Ive seen this happen time and time again in the sports world and its ****ing stupid as far as I am concerned. How in the **** is THC a PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drug? Maybe it enhances the performance of your appetite?

They did the exact same **** to Nick Diaz after he choked everyones beloved lightweight Takanori Gomi (when Diaz was supposed to be Gomis sacrificial lamb)

Its all politial at this point. People fear athletes who are stupid successful due to sheer talent alone. This is crap.

Maybe I should ban the olympics and their sponsors?
-Me

Gotta agree with you, here. As someone who used to smoke a LOT of weed, the only time it helped me in anything competitve was with my dart game. It's ALMOST as good as a shot and a beer to calm the nerves.
It was also great for bringing down the adreniline after a football game, but as a "performance enhancer" ??? Please !!!

Do you really think Americans care if he took a drag ? President Clinton was applauded for his drag even though he "didn't inhale". Wait till it comes out that obama has "Blunt's" in the oral emm I mean oval office! They'll market them and call them... "Smoke From Heaven" ..Hail the Lord obama send phelps back to his momma like Laughing Gnome said!

Do you really think Americans care if he took a drag ? President Clinton was applauded for his drag even though he "didn't inhale". Wait till it comes out that obama has "Blunt's" in the oral emm I mean oval office! They'll market them and call them... "Smoke From Heaven" ..Hail the Lord obama send phelps back to his momma like Laughing Gnome said!

well according to the article it was out of a bong so I guess he technically took a 'rip' :ban::mug:

I always thought you hit a joint, toke a pipe, rip a bong...;)

Just another good reason to support and contribute to N.O.R.M.L.

Or just another reason to grow your own stuff and keep it under wraps a little bit. I don't smoke and never will but if I did I wouldn't be stupid about it.

Why buy from someone that could get you busted when you could invest in a little system to grow your own. Don't put any in your glovebox or sock and you will be good to go.

I live in a pretty small house and can find about 20 places to grow pot if I wanted to.

Or just another reason to grow your own stuff and keep it under wraps a little bit. I don't smoke and never will but if I did I wouldn't be stupid about it.

Why buy from someone that could get you busted when you could invest in a little system to grow your own. Don't put any in your glovebox or sock and you will be good to go.

I live in a pretty small house and can find about 20 places to grow pot if I wanted to.

I don't see the need to have to hide it in the first place - that is why I am actively involved with N.O.R.M.L...

As far as growing your own I will just have to plead the fifth amendment for now :)

I don't think he should be banned. Test him at testing time, if he's clean he's good to go if he fails then he's not. I agree that the last thing THC is, is a performance enhancer. Unless you're playing video games. :drunk:

I don't think he should be banned. Test him at testing time, if he's clean he's good to go if he fails then he's not. I agree that the last thing THC is, is a performance enhancer. Unless you're playing video games. :drunk:

Or maybe if you're playing in a rock band! :fro:

I don't see the need to have to hide it in the first place - that is why I am actively involved with N.O.R.M.L...

As far as growing your own I will just have to plead the fifth amendment for now :)

The simple fact is that its illegal. Don't get me wrong. I have NO PROBLEM with anyone that wants to smoke it. I just don't see them legalizing it any time soon. So.... If your going to, then just be a little discrete about it.

I'm no "goodie 2 shoes" that is going to tell you not do do ANYTHING illegal. I spank my kids and own plenty of guns (that I'm not supposed to have). All i'm saying is to be smart about it.

I used to smoke copious amounts of pot. Not so much anymore, once or twice a year now... I'd like to but I just don't have the time and $. I think it should be legal and Phelps should get another gold medal if he can smoke pot AND go tho the Olympics.

Not a good plan... Here in Hampton Roads there is a case pending against a guy who killed a cop when they raided his house. (At O'dark thirty)

He had a very small stash and maybe 1 or 2 plants. Hardly a reason to bust in his door and scare the **** out of him - thus causing him to defend himself.

He has a good chance of getting off of this one too.
-Me

He should be banned. He is a criminal and should be in jail. You shouldnt be allowed to participate in the olympics if you are in jail.

/heavy sarcasm

I'm really torn about this.

First off, "College Student Smokes Pot" is hardly a news item. It's up there with "Teen Girls Text a Lot" and "Dan Quayle Says Something Dumb."

However, Phelps should (a) know that he's getting a lot of money from his sponsors and (b) respect the fact that a lot of kids look up to him.

Is it a dumb standard? Yes. However, athletes in the upper ecehlons of their sport should be aware that they're held to a higher standard than "regular" folks, and should act accordingly.

My $.02.

I wonder if they would have jumped his $h1t if he said it was flavored tobacco. Still a bad example.

Smoking is bad, mmkay?

What idiocy.

Ban him for being a moron. You got that much riding on your image and you take a chance on blowing it for a little buzz? It's illegal (like it or not) and he just has so much to lose and so little to gain...

"“He looked just as natural with a bong in his hands as he does swimming
in the pool. He was the gold medal winner of bong hits."

I can't believe they put people that say **** like that in news reports.

Is it a dumb standard? Yes. However, athletes in the upper ecehlons of their sport should be aware that they're held to a higher standard than "regular" folks, and should act accordingly.

My $.02.

What do you think of Athletes doing beer commercials?

What Phelps SHOULD have responded with:

Dear America,

I take it back. I don’t apologize.

Because you know what? It’s none of your goddamned business. I work my ass off 10 months per year. It’s that hard work that gave you all those gooey feelings of patriotism last summer. If during my brief window of down time I want to relax, enjoy myself, and partake of a substance that’s a hell of a lot less bad for me than alcohol, tobacco, or, frankly, most of the prescription drugs most of you are taking, well, you can spare me the lecture.

I put myself through hell. I make my body do things nature never really intended us to endure. All world-class athletes do. We do it because you love to watch us push ourselves as far as we can possibly go. Some of us get hurt. Sometimes permanently. You’re watching the Super Bowl tonight. You’re watching 300 pound men smash each while running at full speed, in full pads. You know what the average life expectancy of an NFL player is? Fifty-five. That’s about 20 years shorter than your average non-NFL player. Yet you watch. And cheer. And you jump up spill your beer when a linebacker lays out a wide receiver on a crossing route across the middle. The harder he gets hit, the louder and more enthusiastically you scream.

Yet you all get bent out of shape when Ricky Williams, or I, or Josh Howard smoke a little dope to relax. Why? Because the idiots you’ve elected to make your laws have have without a shred of evidence beat it into your head that smoking marijuana is something akin to drinking antifreeze, and done only by dirty hippies and sex offenders.

You’ll have to pardon my cynicism. But I call bull****. You don’t give a damn about my health. You just get a voyeuristic thrill from watching an elite athlete fall from grace–all the better if you get to exercise a little moral righteousness in the process. And it’s hypocritical righteousness at that, given that 40 percent of you have tried pot at least once in your lives.

Here’s a crazy thought: If I can smoke a little dope and go on to win 14 Olympic gold medals, maybe pot smokers aren’t doomed to lives of couch surfing and video games, as our moronic government would have us believe. In fact, the list of successful pot smokers includes not just world class athletes like me, Howard, Williams, and others, it includes Nobel Prize winners, Pulitzer Prize winners, the last three U.S. presidents, several Supreme Court justices, and luminaries and success stories from all sectors of business and the arts, sciences, and humanities.

So go ahead. Ban me from the next Olympics. Yank my endorsement deals. Stick your collective noses in the air and get all indignant on me. While you’re at it, keep arresting cancer and AIDS patients who dare to smoke the stuff because it deadens their pain, or enables them to eat. Keep sending in goon squads to kick down doors and shoot little old ladies, maim innocent toddlers, handcuff elderly post-polio patients to their beds at gunpoint, and slaughter the family pet.

Tell you what. I’ll make you a deal. I’ll apologize for smoking pot when every politician who ever did drugs and then voted to uphold or strengthen the drug laws marches his ass off to the nearest federal prison to serve out the sentence he wants to impose on everyone else for committing the same crimes he committed. I’ll apologize when the sons, daughters, and nephews of powerful politicians who get caught possessing or dealing drugs in the frat house or prep school get the same treatment as the no-name, probably black kid caught on the corner or the front stoop doing the same thing.

Until then, I for one will have none of it. I smoked pot. I liked it. I’ll probably do it again. I refuse to apologize for it, because by apologizing I help perpetuate this stupid lie, this idea that what someone puts into his own body on his own time is any of the government’s damned business. Or any of yours. I’m not going to bend over and allow myself to be propaganda for this wasteful, ridiculous, immoral war.

Go ahead and tear me down if you like. But let’s see you rationalize in your next lame ONDCP commercial how the greatest mother****ing swimmer the world has ever seen . . . is also a proud pot smoker.

Yours,

Michael Phelps

The standard Phelps is being held to is arbitrary, because the laws behind his reprimand are arbitrary, and, like others have said, cannabis is not a performance inducing drug. It doesn't diminish his athletic integrity at all.

Still doesn't change the fact that I can't look at his ugly-ass face. Phew...

Smoking is bad, mmkay?

F*ck it, if I can't enjoy a couple good cigars a year what's the point of living healthy?

Great reply, I wonder if the "Storm Troopers" will kick down his door and seize his gold medals?
If I was Phelps I'd beat the piss out of the little snitch that gave up the picture, then the parasites would have another big story to exploit!

Amen to that!!!
I do not work 1/50th as hard on my body as Mr. Phelps does but I do not think that recreational partaking of the Ganj is ever a bad thing. I do not burn like it is my job but a toke here and there is not going to destroy you.

Don't panic if it is Organic!!!!:)

Thanks for that Evan! That is seriously hilarious. A part of me wishes he would have taken the opportunity to make a stand, but of course i can understand why he would not do that.

Because he's a worthless *****? SRSLY, the reason this **** runs rampant is because people would rather take the easy road to avoid trouble and save their own ass rather than speak and spread the truth.

Back