Snickers ad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hostileNabusive

Reaction score
This is a recent ad from Snickers starring Mr. T.
It was shown in the Uk but was pulled stateside after complaints that it was offensive to homosexuals.

Some people must seriously just hate humor and wake up thinking "how can I take a big steaming dump on everyone today?"

... or is there some obvious insensitivity in the clip that I'm missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if that was the only objection.

There was a pretty famous incident of kids firing paintballs at joggers and cyclists.
In Phoenix, we hade some dirt bag serial killers firing guns out of thier car window.

I try to stay out of these threads, so I hope this post isn't too inflammatory.

It seems that the same people who claimed homosexual insensitivity are guilty of some pretty heinous stereotyping, themselves. Pot...kettle...black?

I would bet it was more because of the paintballing kids than homosexual complaints...I mean MOST speedwalkers I've seen when I speed walk wiggle our a$$es like that when we walk...Though most of us don't wear bright yellow short shorts....

:D

There was a pretty famous incident of kids firing paintballs at joggers and cyclists.
In Phoenix, we hade some dirt bag serial killers firing guns out of thier car window.

So idiots who can go to a movie and watch Arnold kill 1000 people in crowded places, cant see a funny commercial without going nuts?

sigh.......

Some people must seriously just hate humor and wake up thinking "how can I take a big steaming dump on everyone today?"
... or is there some obvious insensitivity in the clip that I'm missing?

If you are missing it, so am I. You brought up one of my greatest pet peeves:
Too many whiney ass people with the attitude of "I don't care if there are 500 of you that like that, there are two of us that are offended. Therefore you can no longer have that!" Then they turn around to the one friend they have and say, "I just stopped 500 people from having the right to think for themselves, but I sure am happy."

Too bad a "straight" fast walker can't turn around and sue whatever organization protested on the grounds that they have labled all fast walkers as homosexuals.

There is a place for it but this wasn't one of them.

That's hilarious. Some people need to relax a bit.

Time to change the avatar in homage to this video!

I'm just rounding out what the argument is.
I think people pick up on the (dare I say) sexier news items about the gay issue instad of the whole concept.

BTW a long time ago I lnked to the earlier T Snickers campaign which also did not air here in the US. I'm a fan, but I can see why they didn't run that one here as well.

Also If you think that these marketers are above playing you then word to the wise...
They do these cuting edge controverial campaigns on the side to fan the flames a bit knowing that they will get some underground cache. They want people to object.

They want you to buy into being angry that it was cut. Apparently it's working with some here!

Edited for emphasis!

OK so what have we learned here?

Homosexuals have just claimed speed walking as their own. Now all speed walkers are gay, thanks to gay people. Don't make fun of speed walkers anymore.

Shooting snickers at people is not a good idea, because you will make other more easily influenced people want to kill people. Don't even aim a snickers at someone.

Is that right?

JC Penny's unaired ad:

http://clicked.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/06/30/1175629.aspx

The folks online are calling it the viral ad JC Penny doesn't want you to see, which sounded suspicious to me since of course if it's an ad they want you to see it. But now I see it's being forced off of YouTube so maybe they really don't want you to see it. Luckily, AdAge has it on their own server and since they've written about the story they can probably argue some kind of fair use. NOTE: I think this is work safe but be advised, the plot of the video is two teens practicing speed dressing from underwear to fully clothed. So at a few points in the clip, as they practice, you see these two teens in their underwear. But not sexpot underwear and not really long lingering looks. The controversy here is not teens in underwear but the overall impression that the teens are doing this speed dressing so they can avoid getting caught kanoodling in the basement later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so what have we learned here?

Homosexuals have just claimed speed walking as their own. Now all speed walkers are gay, thanks to gay people.

That must be it.
If your reaction to a male speedwalker is "gay guy" then that's your own damn fault and I shouldn't be deprived of funny just because of your perception.

Too many people take life way too seriously. I wish I could sell people a sense of humor.

Too many people take life way too seriously. I wish I could sell people a sense of humor.

says the guy who is trying to make a serious argument that he is being deprived of a commercial that he has obviously watched, linked to, and can watch in a contimuous loop until teh internet melts down.

If you don't get that, my joke fee schedule is pretty reasonable.

says the guy who is trying to make a serious argument that he is being deprived of a commercial that he has obviously watched, linked to, and can watch in a contimuous loop until teh internet melts down.

If you don't get that, my joke fee schedule is pretty reasonable.

I see what you did there olllllo, clever! I was making more of a generalization about "funny" but I get it.

And sure this one made it to the internet, but how many times haven't they made it... how many times?:p

Perhaps it would be funnier if, when the 'roid-ranging moron in a warlord-style guntruck came down the road screaming and shooting, the speedwalker took cover and returned fire until the perceived threat was neutralized.

Back