Aging a Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangeCatBrewery

Reaction score
I know that Wheat beers are to be consumed while young and fresh. What are the detriments to aging it? Will the flavor mellow out (loose flavor) or will it go bad quicker that other beers?

I am asking because I didnt add enough water to my concentrated 1.5gallon boil, and the Weizen has a heavy malt feel/flavor. Will this flavor relax with time or not?

I can drink them as is, or I add 1/4 can of flavorless American canned beer, ie. Natural Light.

I know this is a rookie mistake, I was short 1/2 gallon of water and went ahead and pitched the yeast etc..... Being lazy has its price....:cross:

Thanks, PAUL

The freshness and the yeast flavors will dissipate over time, but I'm not sure if the heaviness will fade. Somewhat, maybe, but don't expect this to be a summertime quaffing beer.

Nope it is definately not a "quaffer". But definately drinkable. I have another Weizen that I just bottled on Friday. That should be much more "quaffable".

Back