A buncha my best recipes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang, I just got some good news. Some of my recipes that were posted on another forum (non beer related, actually an erotic writer's and artists site called Literotica where I host a discussion on sex and spirituality) were selected and included in a cookbook called Foodgasms.

Cooking (and now homebrewing) is my creative outlet. I got started cooking when I was 10 years old, but it really took off a few years back...I also used to actually make flutes, drums and jewelry until ministerial school, then I needed a way to get my creative jones on in a less time consuming way, so cooking was something creative that the "Piece" could be completed in a couple hours rather than a few weeks.

A couple years ago I started to put together the application for the "Be the next food network star" reality show, but the application requirements were huge, including if I recall turning in 300 recipes and shooting a 10 minute cooking video...I never got around to finishing it...maybe someday.

Enjoy!!!

I'll do them as seperate posts so they can be easily printed out.

Pan Seared Duck

I was surprised to find that duck is cheaper than chicken in the Detroit area.

Brine:
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 pint pineapple orange juice
15 whole black peppercorns
1 bunch fresh thyme
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 (5 1/2 to 6 pound) frozen Duck, thawed

Combine all brine ingredients in a plastic container with a lid. Place the lid on the container and shake to dissolve the salt.
Remove the pop-up thermometer, liver, gizzards, and heart. Cut off the wings.

Using kitchen shears, locate the spine at the base of the neck. Cut up the line of the backbone towards the neck cavity. Turn the duck and cut straight towards the rear cavity. Remove the backbone.

Turn the duck over and cut straight down the middle of the breast bone, leaving 2 equal duck halves. To separate the legs from the breast, flip your halves over so the flesh side is facing up at you. Using a knife, make a crescent shape cut between the leg and the breast. Lay your knife flat against the skin and make 3 marks in one direction and then in the other, making an X. Make sure that you are cutting through the skin and not the meat.

Line the inside of a plastic lexan or a pot with a zip-top bag. Place the duck quarters inside the bag, and pour the brine over the duck. Seal the bag, ensuring that all air is removed from the bag. Brine the duck for 2 to 2 1/2 hours in the refrigerator.

Bring 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large pot. Place a colander into the pot and line the sides of the colander with the duck. Do not stack the duck quarters on each other. Cover and turn the heat to medium low. Steam the duck for 45 minutes. Set oven to 475 degrees F. Place a large cast iron skillet into the oven.

Remove duck pieces from steamer and place legs, skin side down, into the hot skillet. Place the skillet into the hot oven immediately and cook the leg quarters for 10 minutes. Add the breasts, skin side down, and cook for 7 more minutes or until the duck takes on a deep mahogany color and the skin is very crisp.

Salmon "Boats"

Here's a real strange one taught to me while I was in seminary by a Nashville music producer (buddy of my cottage mate), who was taught it by no less than Jimmy Buffett himself.

It sounds really bizarre...but it is quite orgasmic!

Salmon steaks or a large piece of salmon cut into individual portions.
Tinfoil
Bacon, Proscuito or Serrano Ham
Red Wine
Dijon Mustard
Green Onions
Capers
Chopped Garlic
Fresh Pineapple and/or Mango

Make little tinfoil "boats" a little larger than the steaks...eg fold over and up a little "box" of foil about an inch and a half on each side larger that the fish...

Place on the bottom of the foil a couple of strips of salty ham-proscuito or spanish ham is the best. Remove the skin on the bottom of the salmon (if there is any) and place the fish on it...add a tiny amount of chopped garlic...Pour a little splash of red wine onto it. Slice up a few green onions or scallions and drop a few on top...Place pineapple slices on top of the fish....or Mango or both...Now it gets strange...but gooooooddddd!!!

Drizzle a few squirts of your fave dijon or course brown mustard and a few capers on top of it all...splash on more red wine...Stick the boats onto the grill or in a medium/low oven and cook until the fish flakes and the fruit softens...sounds really weird but the combination of flavors is incredible....

Spaghetti Pie

(Modified from a pre jail Martha Stewart recipe)

1 Box of spaghetti, cooked al-dente and drained (8-10 cups)
Jar of favorite red sauce or home made...
7 eggs
3/4 of a tub of Richotta Cheese (or cottage cheese, or 1/4-1/2 cup of heavy cream.)
1 1/2-2 bags of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
half a jar of grated Parmesiano/Reginno cheese
large can of sliced mushrooms (or fresh)
can of black olives sliced
1 ham steak cubed
3/4 bag of sliced peperoni, cut into triangle quarters
big fistfulls of dried parsley
fistful of dried oregano
2-3 pinches of red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper+ salt and pepper to taste

10"x14"- sheetcake pan, between 2-3" deep or whatever the dimension of a traditional sheetcake pan is....

Pre-heat oven to 375

Drain speghetti into a collander...In pot you boiled it in crack open 7 eggs and lightly beat. Whisk in richotta cheese, until mixture is smooth. Dump in one bag or equivelent of shreded mozzarella and coat. Dump in approximately half a container of parm/reg cheese into mixture. Add parsley, oreganno, pepperflakes, salt and pepper. mix thoroughly and add in olives, ham and peperoni. Coat thoroughly and toss in mushrooms. Dump in the drained spaghetti and mix it all together thoroughly, making sure that peperoni/ham/olive/mushrooms get throughly spread throughout. You may need to add another egg or more richotta cheese to make sure that everything is throughly coated (I originally started out with 6 eggs and half tub of richotta.)

Lightly grease pan and dump the mess into it, pressing it down somewhat tightly with back of spoon. Pour about a quarter of a jar of sauce on top of it (optional) and spread it over it like cake frosting. Spread out another half- whole bag of mozzarella on top and sprinkle with more grated cheese.

Cover with tinfoil and bake on center rack 40-50 minutes until done in the center. Optionally for a brown and crisp top, remove the tinfoil after the first 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes. Heat remainder of sauce in sauce pan.

After cooled 10-15 minutes run a knife around the edges to break the brown bits, then divide the pan evenly and cut throughly across the pan...Lift slices of pie out with spatula (should lift easily if it is thoroughly cooked and cooled slightly.) Plate it and cover each piece with a few spoonfuls of sauce...

yummy...it does freeze well for leftovers...

BEST Chiles Relleno's ever

9 "meaty" plump Poblano Peppers.

First I roasted the poblanos till their skins blackened and place them in a paper bag til they are cool enough to touch...

Stuffing.

in a pan saute 1 diced onion
2 WHOLE small red Chiles
3 WHOLE cloves of Garlic

Saute until onions are translucent and cloves/peppers are a little soft...
Set this aside to cool and while waiting peel the poblanos.

When the onion mixture is cool put it in you food processor....add to it

2 (or more) Chipotle peppers (I used canned and rinsed the adobo sauce off them, but if you have dried Chipotles, steam them for a few minutes to rehydrate them and let them cool too)

4 tablespoons cream cheese
1/2 tub of ricotta cheese
1 package of Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 Package of sharp cheddar cheese
1 fist full of fresh cilantro
Pinch of Kosher Salt

Pulse in processor until ingredients are combined.....you should be able to form the mixture into logs with your hands....if the consistency is too "wet" add the rest of the shredded cheddar and some Japanese Panko breadcrumbs and pules again till you get a formable consistency.

place the poblano on a cutting board look down at it and make a slit down the side that is facing you, from stem til almost the bottom tip. Open each of the Poblano peppers along the front remove the seeds inside, and stuff them with the cheese mixture until the are plump.

Set up a dredging station using three cake pans or whatever you have...

In the first pan put in flour mixed with a little salt and a couple tablespoons of Cumin.

In the middle bowl beat together three eggs.

In the last bowl Panko Breadcrumbs (or any breadcrumbs...but Panko, found in the international section of most big box grocery stores, has a really light and crisp consistancy-it reminds me of shredded toasted coconut-it is better than that italian stuff)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Heat about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of oil in a heavy skillet.
Have a baking pan ready lined with paper towel

Coat the Peppers with flour, dip them in egg, coat the flour/eggy peppers with panko and place in hot oil..when one side is done, flip them with tongs to brown the other side...(also make sure to hold them with tongs on each of the narrow sides too...Place each one on paper towels to drain..

place them on a shallow sided cookie sheet (SLIT SIDE UP) and bake in oven for 10-15 minutes to heat the insides...(if you place them slit side down, the mixture will melt and leak out.)

Plate the Chile relleno and drizzle with Mole sauce

Serve with rice and beans.....

My favorite fall dish.

Braised Pork Tenderloin in Pear/Rosemary/Onion/ Garlic sauce.

Pork Loin
14 cloves Garlic (2 slivered and 12 left whole)
Fresh Rosemary
Large Onion chopped
2 tbs Olive Oil
2tbs butter
1 1/2 Bottles of Pear Nectar (32 ounce bottle size)
salt and WHITE pepper to taste
Splash of white wine to deglaze the dutch oven

take a rolled pork tenderloin, pierce it all over and shove slivers of garlic into the cuts...pat on handfuls of rosemary all over it...

Then in a cast iron dutch oven brown it in 50% olive oil and 50% butter (couple of tbs each).... Remove the pork and sweat a finely minced onion in the same oil.

Place the 'loin back in the dutch oven and pour in pear nectar (In America J Knudson Organic unsweetened is available at Kroger) until it is about half way up the meat. Drop in AT LEAST a dozen garlic cloves, more rosemary (a small palm full) and a pinch of salt and white pepper.

Stick the dutch oven on the back of the stove, in a 350 degre oven or in the back of a fireplace for a few hours until the pork is thoroughly cooked and the liquid is reduced and thickened (approx 2 1/2-3 hrs).

Remove the loin, let it rest 5 min, then slice and place on a platter....Pour the thick liguid through a strainer, pressing the almost melted garlic cloves and onions against the mesh with the back of a spoon....Deglaze the dutch oven with a splash of wine and pour that through the sieve into the "gravy", mix the liguids together...If not thick then reduce some more on stove... Then drizzel over the pork, serve the rest of the au-juice on the side....

Goes great with roasted rosemary potatoes and Asparagus.

Quick and Dirty Jamaican Meat Pies

Here's a very simple version of Jamaican Meat Pies...It all started when I picked up a jar of something called Jamaican Salsa at the store...

Tasted terrible as a salsa and wasn't the least bit spicy...so I took a pound of chicken breasts and ran them through my food processor. Then took a 1/2 pound of pork sausage. Half a large onion, chopped...and some minced garlic...and a large potato diced into small cubes.(I boiled the potato cubes for about five minutes then drained them)

I sauteed the onions and garlic in a little oil, then added the ground sausage and chicken, and browned it. Then added the potato cubes. Then I dumped half the jar of salsa over it, a few dashes of jamaican hellfire sauce and some red pepperflakes. After it started to reduce I added two fistfulls of golden raisins...And cooked it all down till the liquid evaporated.

I bought frozen puff pastry dough. Thawed it out and rolled the narrow sheets
out til they were wider and thinner. Then Using a wide glass as a template, cut out a bunch of dough circles.

Then I spooned a few tables spoons of the filling onto the rounds, folded them over, pressed down the joint with a fork abd brushed them with an egg wash, then baked them till the dough puffed up and got golden brown....

Made several dozen...The tasted great, especially the next day...Chucked half of them in my freezer in zipplock bags...

Rev. Michael’s Asian/Indian Fusion Tilapia
(Feeds 2 adults w/ side dishes such as greens)

Preheat Oven to 375

1 ½ Tbs. Emeral’s Asian Spice Blend (or any commercial or homemade blend ) & 1 ½ Tbs. Curry Powder (mixed together)
1 Onion sliced across to form rings
4 Tilapia Filets
2 Limes
1 ripe mango cut in cubes
1-2 cups pineapple chunks
White wine or champagne (whatever’s open and available)
Handful of pumpkin seeds toasted in hot dry pan
Pinch of salt

Layer half of the onions on bottom of glass baking dish. Sprinkle one third of spice mixture over onions. Squirt half of a lime over onions and spices.

Lay fish on onion bed. Place rest of onions on top of fish. Sprinkle one third of spices on top of fish. And squirt more lime juice over fish. Splash some wine (or champagne) over fish.

Put diced fruit over fish, sprinkle remainder of spices, rest of lime juice and toasted pumpkin seeds on top of fruit. Splash another dash of wine over everything. Add a pinch of salt on top of everything.

Place pan with water on bottom rack of oven and baking dish with fish on middle rack.

Bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Baste fish with liquid from bottom of pan and cook 7-10 minutes longer until fish is white, and flaky and fruit is soft.

Peaches and Cream Pork Loin

Since this was a "throw together" the measurements are non existant, but here it goes.

Take one Pork Loin, trim off any excess fat and stab it all over with a fork.

Marinade it over night in the following;
(I do my marinating in 1 gallon ziplock bags)
Approximately 2 cups any Tropical Blend 100% Fruit Juice (We happened to have had Juicy Juice Look for one that has peach in the mix).
3/4 Cup Soy Sauce
2 Table Spoons Crushed Garlic.

Remove meat from Marinade and carefully make repeated slices into it to turn it into a flat sheet of meat (Or if you are less skilled with a knife just cut a slit down the length of the loin to make a tunnel)

Looking down at the "meat sheet" cover the pork (Leaving approximately 3/4 inch on the top and bottom free)of it with crumbled Feta Cheese (French Feta Would be the best, but regular greek style works fine.)

Peel and slice into wedges 3 fresh ripe peaches, and lay the peeche slices on top of the feta.

Carefully roll the pork loin back into a cylinder and tie somewhat tightly with kitchen string.

Season the outside of the meat with whatever seasoning salt/herb blend you prefer.

Make a tinfoil boat (or use a baking pan) slighty larger than the length/width of your loin.

Place on the top rack of a BBQ Grill on medium heat with soaked hickory chips. CLose the lid and grill/roast approximately 50 minutes carefully turning the loin over halfway through the cooking process.

Do not overcook the pork til it is dry...the 45-50 minute range I cooked it at last night (on a gas grill) left the meat moist and tender.

Carefully cut away the string and slice. Each slice will have a wedge of feta/roasted peach in it.

I just came up with something that makes a great Brunch piece or a nice appetizer, or just something for dinner when you're not feeling like a full meal. I wanted to share it and was going to start a thread, but I remembered this old cooking one of mine, so I figured I'd just bump this a post it here.

480493_10151092728024067_1168616993_n.jpg

Take a package of smoked salmon, put it in a food processor along with some low fat cream cheese, some lemon juice, old bay seasoning and some grated parm/reggiano and give it a whiz.

Take two eggs, a little milk, salt and pepper, garlic powder and black truffle oil (optional, but amazing) and beat gently, like mixing them for scrambled eggs. Butter a muffin tin. Brush 3 wonton sheets with butter and line each cup with them, layering them so the pointy tips alternate and fill the cups.

Spoon in some of the salmon cream cheese mixture, about 3/4 full. Ladle scrambled eggs mixture on top, filling the cups. Tap on counter to seat egg mixture around salmon. Sprinkle on more cheese.

Butter another wonton sheet and press down on top of each cup to seal. Butter top and sprinkle wit sea salt and pepper. Bake in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

Brown top lightly with brûlée torch (or under the broiler for a bit) and serve.

Looks delicious. I don't spend enough time looking through the cooking forum - your salmon boat recipe above looks like something I should try, we eat salmon a lot, but its usually just one or two variations. Salmon with ham sounds very Spanish, plus with the capers, mustard and citrus. Thanks!

That looks incredible! By "scramble," you mean whisk together, right? Not actually cook scrambled eggs.

I'm going to have to try the braised pork recipe. I love a good pork loin and I think the wife would enjoy that recipe. I've never cooked a pork loin that way before.

Revvy these all look quite tasty, but I'm wondering if there is anything that can be substituted for the cream cheese & milk in the salmon cup recipe. I know, nothing can REALLY take the place of cream cheese, but for those of us with lactose intolerance, it's either go without, or pay the piper.
Regards, GF.

Revvy these all look quite tasty, but I'm wondering if there is anything that can be substituted for the cream cheese & milk in the salmon cup recipe. I know, nothing can REALLY take the place of cream cheese, but for those of us with lactose intolerance, it's either go without, or pay the piper.
Regards, GF.

I don't know....I'm sure there's something out there, but since I don't have that issue, I don't keep up on things like that.

A lot of recipes of this sort call for Mayonaise as a binder, but I can't digest that stuff, so I use things like cream cheese.

They seem to make everything for lactose intolerant people these days, so I'd be surprised if there WASN'T an alternative.

I just found this on a google search, I don't know if it's true or not. http://www.cheftalk.com/t/31870/lactose-free-sour-cream-and-cream-cheese They're saying that lactose is broken down in the sour cream making process, so perhaps sour cream would work?

There's also evidently a tofu based supstitute http://www.godairyfree.org/product-...eam-cheese-non-hydrogenated-vegan-gluten-free for cream cheese.

But for that matter, wouldn't a creamy soft tofu work just as well?

Thanks Revvy, you rock! :rockin:
I'll give the tofu a try, maybe even with some mayo. I'll have to sort of experiment a bit, but thanks for the base recipe(s). I think the salmon boats will be on the to do list very soon.
Regards, GF.

Back