Continuous hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveM

Reaction score
Being inspired by Dogfish Head's continuous hopping to make their 60 Minutes IPA (and others), I decided to try it out. I brewed yesterday ("stinking up" the house while I was home alone...mmm).

We'll see how it comes out, but it seemed to me that little good for the beer will come from me getting up on my toes and hopping up and down for the full one hour length of the boil. My wife agrees, and since I am about 220 lbs (at 6'5", or 100 kilos at just under 2M), she is grateful that the house is built on a concrete slab with no basement, so I did not damage to the structure. I will say that it was an excellent aerobic workout. And by the way, I'm grateful that we all use still use hours as a measure of time - metric conversions always throw me.

Seriously, I figured I would take a shot - it was just two ounces of Williamette (five gallon batch) in a Red Ale and every five minutes, I put a couple of baby food spoonfuls into the boil.

If it makes any kind of noticeable impact I will advise.

nice timing - i did this yesterday as well, with an IPA. we'll see how it goes! i also plan to dry-hop once i move to secondary.

Have you seen the clone recipes for DFH 60 minute IPA? Many call for continuous hopping... Including Yooper's recipe in the database, which is excellent.

I like an intensely hopped brew as much as anyone - more than most actually. But this time out, I figured I would go for a less intense experience. This was me, struggling to fight my impulses for a powerful hops experience. Normally, I would have thought "Two ounces?? Of Williamette?? Come on, lets go get another couple or three ounces of Cascade or Amarillo and take this thing to the next level."

So no DFH/60 clones (at least, not this time). Besides, what are the odds that I could improve on that? On the other hand, if someone compares this to something like Killian's (is that even still made?) and says it beats it hands down, then I will have succeedded.

Back