My First BIAB Stand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well finally brewing on the new model 2 with its new owner. Here some pics for ya. I like to see some of your pics so please post as you build and brew:tank:

20160625_063656.jpg

20160625_063705.jpg

20160625_063757.jpg

20160625_063732.jpg

As you all know I have web store to sell the plans for these stands but due to the lack of sells I am shutting down www.biabstands.com on Sept 1. I am still trying to make a affordable kit if you still interested please let me know before closing the site. All that supported me I appreciate it and I am leaving the Face book page and this one open its not over yet just need to cut back on the funds. Remember Dream, Build and Brew!!!!!

Looking forward to see what you are able to come up with as far as a ready to put together kit. I am loving my BIAB stand that I made from your plans:

13900345_10209863880141726_246045478686322273_n.jpg

13920935_10209864255711115_440677121558684859_n.jpg

Thanks "chiefFW" ! Here is a pic of my eBIAB on a stand built from your plans (sorta...kinda...!) bed frames were the way to go, I just chose to weld it together rather than bolt.

Cheers, Don

IMG_1468.jpg

Last edited:
That is awesome great job

So I'm going to necro this thread because I have a couple questions for you chief!

It looks like you've bolted in all the shelves that the burner sits on instead of welding them on. What's the advantage of that? It seems easier to just weld them in place.

Do you have any how-to videos on getting your diamondplate wrapped around that wood so that it looks good?

Finally, have you found that the height of the utility table is too low compared to your pot? From your drawings it looks like it only sits about 30" off the ground, and since I'm 6'3" I would have to bend down to pick anything up off of it.

Thank you for the great ideas! I'm incorporating a few into my design but it's going to be an original creation.

The stands were bolted together due to several people do not weld or does not have the money to get them welded. Mine is welded and bolted the yellow stand is way for every one with simple tools to make a great single pot vessel stand that takes up very small room. To wrap diamond plate take a little practice and skill. You have to use a soft rubber hammer like in video 1 cut L at each corner with the board in place tap from the middle going left hand and right hand ALWAYS starting from the middle do not get in a hurry you want to bend the metal together(same angle at a time). As far as height great glad you are designing a stand that fits you I would differently do the same thing. I have made custom stand with this design it very simple a few leg adjustments is all I have to do it is very simple. Also there 3 models each was design for different storage room and preference do you have the plans? Model two four leg change would change the height of the table and make it more enjoyable for you to use.Good luck I really like to see your stand when your done I am sure you will have a lot of fun with your project. If you like since we talked on facebook I could show you how I did it and you can see mine stand we use them for training introducing people how to BIAB all grain if that would help ya.

The stands were bolted together due to several people do not weld or does not have the money to get them welded. Mine is welded and bolted the yellow stand is way for every one with simple tools to make a great single pot vessel stand that takes up very small room. To wrap diamond plate take a little practice and skill. You have to use a soft rubber hammer like in video 1 cut L at each corner with the board in place tap from the middle going left hand and right hand ALWAYS starting from the middle do not get in a hurry you want to bend the metal together(same angle at a time). As far as height great glad you are designing a stand that fits you I would differently do the same thing. I have made custom stand with this design it very simple a few leg adjustments is all I have to do it is very simple. Also there 3 models each was design for different storage room and preference do you have the plans? Model two four leg change would change the height of the table and make it more enjoyable for you to use.Good luck I really like to see your stand when your done I am sure you will have a lot of fun with your project. If you like since we talked on facebook I could show you how I did it and you can see mine stand we use them for training introducing people how to BIAB all grain if that would help ya.

Many thanks Chief!

I'm still collecting bed frames and thinking of design ideas, so it'll be awhile, but I'll post pictures when it's done.

I'm debating installing a sink with garden hose hookups on the countertop for cleaning on the fly, and plumbing in an in situ backflush loop, and whirlpool bypass loop for my plate chiller so I never have to switch connections, only turn valves. I don't think I could deal with a plate chiller if I had to switch all the hookups around every time, and break it all down for cleaning after every brew.

I also have a great idea for a collapsible and rotatable bag hoist that's easy to make. and I may put cupboard doors on the front of the cabinet side for storage.

My goal is to keep the vertical height in check, and make this thing easily mobile for brewing away from home as conveniently as I can.

Great ideas are you going to use steel and aluminum to keep the weight down? My larger stand can be heavy when taking it to other sites I normally take the yellow stand and purple stand burners add a good amount of weight

Great ideas are you going to use steel and aluminum to keep the weight down? My larger stand can be heavy when taking it to other sites I normally take the yellow stand and purple stand burners add a good amount of weight

I'm going with steel frame, just because I can't weld aluminum well enough, and it's easier to get. All of the bolt-on hardware will probably be aluminum to save weight. I'm planning to put it on a good set of wheels so I can just load it into the back of my pickup on ramps instead of ever having to lift it. So as long as it's less than 250lbs or so, I think I'm ok with it.

I'm debating changing the diamond plate out now though. My wife brought up a good point last night that it's not exactly a flat surface for setting smaller objects on (hydrometer vial, refractometer, graduated cylinders, etc). So I may go with lab-grade phenolic resin or something like that instead.

@chiefairwrench Maybe a little off topic but what chiller is that in all of your pics? Is it convoluted?

So this is my new-ish to me electric BIAH. 10 gal pot with chugger pump and Hosehead Raspberry pi controls. I changed it from Strange Brew to CraftBeer Pi just because. It has a SS basket but only mesh bottom. It works ok till the grain bill get up past 10lbs. So I have a 20 gal SS pot that I will use my old turkey basket with a bag to do my big beers and 10 gal beers. It work good, just still dialing it in

brew setup.jpg

Nice set up look like Model 2 stand would work for you just and remove burner sits. I use a induction cooker on my yellow stand when I do electric. We are doing 10 gallon batches with the burner 5 gallons with the induction cooker.

phone 07192015 002.jpg

Back