No Fizz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zozo

Reaction score
We are into our 8th batch and have really learned alot and come along way fast, part in due to some good advice here.

Our final "NOOB" issue seems to be a consistent under carboniation. It's really brought down the level of what would have been a few good batches.

We are using 3/4 cup of priming sugar for a 50 gallon batch. Been leaving in the bottles anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.

Any ideas? More sugar?

Thanks in advance

I'll assume 50 gallons is actually 5 gallons or that's the answer to your question right there. :)

3/4 cup is a good amount, what temperature are you keeping the bottles at while they carbonate?

Is each bottle undercarbonated, or are some worse than others? If so it could just be that the priming sugar isnt getting evenly mixed in your bucket before you bottle.

Otherwise personally I get 5oz bags of priming sugar and the beers carbonate perfectly.

ha ha yes 5 gallons. We keep them in the garage which is right around 45 degrees

Temperature. I'll bet that is the problem. You need to carbonate at fermentation temperature for 3 weeks give or take and then move them to the cooler environment.

zozo said:
ha ha yes 5 gallons. We keep them in the garage which is right around 45 degrees

Well, that's the issue right there. In order to carbonte, the bottled beer should be kept at fermentation temperatures. For most ales, that's 68-70 degrees. After 2-3 weeks, when the beer is completely carbonated it can be moved to a cooler place if you wish.

I'd just bring those bottles in to where it's much warmer and give them a gentle jostle to resuspend the yeast. Wait two weeks, and i'm sure you'll be happy!

mr_stimey said:
Is each bottle undercarbonated, or are some worse than others? If so it could just be that the priming sugar isnt getting evenly mixed in your bucket before you bottle.

Otherwise personally I get 5oz bags of priming sugar and the beers carbonate perfectly.

We actually thought of that before we bottled our last two. So we made sure to stir up the bucket aittle before we went to bottles.

So we will see if that was the problem in a few weeks.

Some bottles of our previous batches were definietely better than others but even the best are still on the flat side.

No kidding?! Wow we thought we were supposes to keep them dark and cool when in the bottles?!

Thanks Im going to bring them insde right now.

Thanks!

Well now that you mention the temperature Ill agree with the others that its probably because its pretty cold

zozo said:
No kidding?! Wow we thought we were supposes to keep them dark and cool when in the bottles?!

Thanks Im going to bring them insde right now.

Thanks!

45F is fine after 3weeks at fermentation temp. the cooler conditions will help the beer remain stable for a longer period of time (like a year or more).

3 weeks around 70F will carb them and help the yeast clean up any remaining diacetyl and give time for flavors to meld.

Back