Adding Hops with Zero Minutes ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Hi, I'm making a St Arnold Xmas Clone and it's asking to add Liberty Hops with (0) minutes left in the boil. Am I reading that right ? If so, what does that do and how long after the boil should the hops sit ?

Yup, turn off the heat and add the hops. This addition adds hop AROMA to the brew. Let them sit for 5 mins. or so then chill as usual

Does it say "0 minutes left" or just "add at 0 minutes"
I would interpret the latter to mean at the "start" of the boil.

Brewno said:
Does it say "0 minutes left" or just "add at 0 minutes"
I would interpret the latter to mean at the "start" of the boil.

No, the brewing nomenclature would have the longest time as the start of the boil, most usually 60 minutes. That is the duration that the hops should be boiled. So if it says "0 minutes" you should not boil them, just add them once the brewpot is off the heat.

It's fine, and normal, to add hops at the end of the boil. If you boil hops for much longer than ten minutes, their aroma component evaporates (read: disappears), so if you want an aromatic beer, the way to get it is to add hops right at the end. Hops that are boiled from the start are there to impart bitterness to the beer.

gresc said:
Hi, I'm making a St Arnold Xmas Clone and it's asking to add Liberty Hops with (0) minutes left in the boil. Am I reading that right ? If so, what does that do and how long after the boil should the hops sit ?

Gresc

Could you post the recipe or do you have a link?

The recipe is from the Best of BYO Magazine. Where it lists the hop schedule it simply says: 3oz Liberty hops (0 min)

I've actually seen recipes that call for a hop addition 5 minutes after flame-out. I don't know if that's for people using IC's opposed to CFC's, but it seemed intriguing.

Does anyone know of a temperature table that shows how the lupulin glands are effected by different temps?

PseudoChef said:
No, the brewing nomenclature would have the longest time as the start of the boil, most usually 60 minutes. That is the duration that the hops should be boiled. So if it says "0 minutes" you should not boil them, just add them once the brewpot is off the heat.

The recipes I get from my LHBS are reversed I guess. The additions usually read something like: Add extract return to a boil and then add hops. At 45 minutes add flavoring hops and at 58 minutes add finishing hops 60 minutes remove from heat.

Brewno said:
The recipes I get from my LHBS are reversed I guess. The additions usually read something like: Add extract return to a boil and then add hops. At 45 minutes add flavoring hops and at 58 minutes add finishing hops 60 minutes remove from heat.

Ok. Most of the recipes you'll find on the 'net will be "60' meaning boil for 60 min, etc.

For more flavor/aroma, try a first wort hop. I don't know how it works, but it does.

Add your 60 minutes hops into the first wort you collect. Then perform your sparges and just add that wort on top of the rest until you have your boil volume. Then boil and add the rest of your hop additions as you normally would.

It seals in a lot more of the flavors than you'd expect for a 60 minute hop addition!!!

I just used FWH on my last batch (yesterday) so I don't know how it will turn out but this is how i did it and how it was explained to me. It is also in Palmers book/web book under "Hops." I added half of my finishing hops to my grain steep at 170 degrees for 30 minutes and then added that to my boil water. Palmer says to use low alpha hops. FWH is supposed to be for hop flavor rather than aroma or bitterness. Pretty much what you said already I guess:)

The guy who explained it to me originally is a wiz with this stuff. He wrote me a whole explanation of how it works but I lost the email:mad:

I'd have to look back at the recipe, but I'm fairly certain that you add those Liberty hops at after you cut the heat for the boil.

I do the same the thing with some of my recipes where I want late addition hop flavor and aroma but not quite the fresh hop aroma that comes from dry hopping. Adding after you cut the heat simulates, to some extent, the effect of a hop back.

TL

yeah on my last amarillo ipa my buddy tipped me to throwing in hops after the i turned off the flame and put the lid on the brew pot while i get my primary ready for the wort. it did add some nice aroma to the brew

Back