Kegging 101?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Can someone point me to a thread or a link that gives the basics of kegging, carbing, etc.? I'm thinking about going to my LHBS and taking the plunge. I have 10 gallons in secondaries that I just can't get bottled (I am so sick and tired of washing and sanitizing all those bottles and the mess involved with filling and capping them all) and the ingredients are all ready to make a new batch) that I think it's time.

Also, I don't have a fridge to keep kegs in. Just a relatively cool cellar. My LHBS guy says he recommends buying a couple of gizmos to put on empty 2 liter soda bottles. Apparently, you just fill them from the keg, put the special tops on them, pressurize them, and keep them in the fridge. Has anyone else tried/used those?

yeah, all those links there should get the ball rolling.

personally I feel if you want to keg, you need to get a chest freezer or a fridge to keep things cold.
I'm a beer snob...beer never belongs in plastic (after primary at least ;) )

plus if you put it in those 2 liter bottles, you have to sanitize them first, and they're oxygen permeable, and usually clear...all things that can skunk beer unless you're planning to drink all that beer within 24 hours.

i mean, if you're gonna drop the cash on all the kegging goodies, may as well look for cheap used fridge or chest freezer, and a temp controller.

but again, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the great links. I guess I'm trying to avoid a. the cost of a second fridge and b. the added energy bill (mine is already sky high with just one refridgerator going).

Latest posts

Back