Honey of a Gluten Free Lager advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arhomebrew1

Reaction score
I made the Honey of a Gluten Free Lager recipe from Brewing with Briess web site. I got the ingredients from Northern Brewer. Their White Sorghum syrup comes in a 6lb bottle. I added the whole 6 lbs instead of the requested 3.75lbs. I also added 4oz of maltobedextrin (40min) and 5tsp of yeast nutrient (flameout). I only used 1 package of dry lager yeast, but will ferment and age at room temp. The starting gravity was 1.060 and it is bubbling away after putting it in the fermenter yesterday. Did I do something real bad by using the whole bottle of Sorgrhum syrup? Did I need to pitch more yeast as I did not make a yeast starter. I will use 5oz corn sugar to carbonate. What do you think it will taste like?

The recipe is from the brewingwithbriess.com web site
Honey of a Gluten Free Lager
Recipe for 5 US gallons (19L)
Description: Medium to darker honeys blend with the sorghum flavor and combines well with the citrusy floral aroma
hops.
Quantity Ingredient Comment
3.75 lbs BriesSweet(tm) White Sorghum Syrup 45DE High Maltose
1.5 lbs Honey (medium to dark color and flavor honey works best)
0.5 lbs Corn Syrup (medium conversion)
0.5 oz Hallertau Hops (6%AA) Beginning of boil
0.75 oz Cascade Hops 10 minutes before end of boil
0.75 oz Saaz Hops (End of boil)
2 pkgs Dry lager yeast or Wyeast 2206GF gluten-free yeast
1 cup Honey Bottling
Brewing Procedures:
Mix syrup and water and bring to boil. Add bittering hops. Boil 40 minutes. Add second hops. Add remaining hops
according to schedule. Quickly chill wort. Ferment for 2.5 weeks at 55-60º F. Transfer and lager at 32-35º F for two weeks
minimum. Force carbonate or bottle condition with honey (recommended).
OG 1.042
FG 1.008
ABV 4.5%
IBUs 16

Basically you put in lots of fermentables and way too much yeast nutrient.

Keep the temps down and it should be a nice beer. If it ferments too high it will put out lots of solvent flavours. Lager it for double the specified time and then draw of a sample.

And I'd estimate 6 to 7 % alcohol.

Thats what it called for on the yeast nutrient bag. If I ever make this again I will follow the recipe and maybe get an ale yeast for it. Looking to make a mild tasting gluten free beer for my brother-in-law. Looking for a recipe that would taste like Redbridge (his favorite). I'm not gluten intolerant. I will taste this 1st to see if I think he will like it, otherwise I will drink it myself.
Steve

If you're brother in law likes Red bridge, he'll love yours. No worries man.

The 1st Gluten Free I made had way to many hops for him. I liked it, but he did not, that is why I'm going to this beer 1st. I will probably transfer to the secondary after 10 days for another 7 days to help clear it up. Secondary has a very hoppy Kolsch in it now, but I will bottle it this weekend. Thanks for the help!!
Steve

Back