Stone Ruination Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blender

Reaction score
Currently, I am in San Diego so we had to visit Stone Brewery. We took the brewery tour and then ate at the bistro enjoying some of their brews. It is a real nice facility which is fairly new. I even went to a presentation on malt and milling which was interesting and enjoyable considering the 4 pitchers of beer at the classroom. :)

My favorites to date are the IPA and I just now poured a Ruination Ale which is probably the most hop flavored beer I have ever had. It is so full of hop flavor that it has been a revalation to my palate. They brew in 12,000 gallon fermentors and for the IPA I do believe the tour guide said they dry hop with a whopping 300 pounds of hops. Just unbelievable.

So I see big flavor,aroma and high dry hopped brews in my immediate future upon returning home.

Ruination is a mighty tasty beer...I have done a wickedly great clone that has prb been my most popular beer to date. If everything shows up today, I will be brewing a Stone IPA clone this weekend!:ban:

brewt00l said:
Ruination is a mighty tasty beer...I have done a wickedly great clone that has prb been my most popular beer to date. If everything shows up today, I will be brewing a Stone IPA clone this weekend!:ban:
If you brag, you gotta share the recipe. Board rules....

:)

FlyGuy said:
If you brag, you gotta share the recipe. Board rules....

:)

Here's mine that I got from AHS. It's all grain and effing rocks!:ban:

A real Stone is on the left and my clone is on the right.

4569-IPA2.jpg

Awesome - hope it turned out well for you. So jealous of your Stone tour! I love Ruination...but only in small doses. A 22 oz bomber is way too much, but if I had it on tap, I'd be sipping a little every night!

Oh man, I am heading out there in two weeks. I will be stopping by there and picking some of this up!

Yuri_Rage said:
Awesome - hope it turned out well for you. So jealous of your Stone tour! I love Ruination...but only in small doses. A 22 oz bomber is way too much, but if I had it on tap, I'd be sipping a little every night!
I agree, I had 2 last night and that is enough. While we were on the tour they were making Arrogant Bastard. They do 4000 gallon boils and combine 3 of them in 12000 gallon feremntors. The guy said they only fermented the Arrogant Bastard for 3 days and then it off to a bright tank. I was somewhat surprised at that but he indicated that they use a hell of a lot of yeast.

I can take or leave the arrogant bastard but I really love the ruination. I think it pales in hop silliness next to the scullers from skagit brewery. If you get a chance you might want to pick up a 22 of it to make your mouth pucker.

seawort said:
I can take or leave the arrogant bastard but I really love the ruination. I think it pales in hop silliness next to the scullers from skagit brewery. If you get a chance you might want to pick up a 22 of it to make your mouth pucker.
Skullers is damn good IPA, IMO!!!
:mug:

I live close enough to skagit river to go get it whenever, and a few stores around here carry it. I thought it was over hopped the first time I had it... and then realized I was being silly. :rockin:

I am going to contribute to the off topicness...:off:

But yes, that Scullers IPA is wicked. And it sneaks up on you when you are out. I also find the Mongoose IPA from Hale's a bit on the "hop silliness" scale...

Back on topic...

I had a friend make a Ruinator Clone. Bit darker, but it had that little alcohol kick at the end. Mighty tasty. I'll see if I can get the recipe.

I just poured a glass of Ruination and tried it for the first time.

WOW!

I LOVE this beer!

I definitely want to brew a clone of this IPA. This goes on my brew list, with three others ahead of it at this moment.

Oh man, I am heading out there in two weeks. I will be stopping by there and picking some of this up!

Be careful. 2 weeks ago my buddy picked up a growler each of ruination and 11th anniversary. Brought it back and both were flat as a pancake. He called Stone and they said they were having carbonation issues and will re-fill gratis. problem is, how often does one get there.

Be careful. 2 weeks ago my buddy picked up a growler each of ruination and 11th anniversary. Brought it back and both were flat as a pancake. He called Stone and they said they were having carbonation issues and will re-fill gratis. problem is, how often does one get there.

When I move out to San Diego next year, I would imagine at least once per month.:mug:

Well, seeing as the original post was over a year ago, I will be sure to be careful next time I go.

All the beer I brought back was great.

ruination ipa is by far the best beer i've ever bought in a store (granted i do live in alabama, we dont even allow over 16 oz bottles i had to go to atlanta to even get it). also got lagunitas hop stoopid. both were very good, ruination ruined my taste for ipa's. i'm going to tennesee tomorrow to get some more...

My wife had a conference in San Diego last year. Being a huge Stone fan, I HAD to go with her. Such a great beer town. I visited many breweries while out there and we went to Stone 3 times. I am so jealous of the people who live out that way. Boston has great beer, but its got nothing on San Diego.

Back