next recipe - porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootYtRappeR

Reaction score
Here's the next recipe that I'm going to try to pull off this weekend.
It's called Hell Gate Porter from beerrecipes.org
Question: does the hop schedule really need to be this complex?

Fermentables
6 lb Dark LME
1 lb Amber or Dark DME
1 lb 80-90L Crystal
.5 cup Black Patent
misc.
1 c. Blackstrap Molasses
.5 c. Honey

Hops
1 oz Cascade (60 min)
1 oz Northern Brewer (30 Min)
.5 oz Cascade (30 min)
.5 oz Cascade (15 min)
.5 oz Tettnanger (2 min)
.5 oz Tettnanger (steep w/out boil)

Yeast Wyeast London Ale #1028
Procedure Steep grains.
60 min. boil.
hops to above schedule
misc. ingredients added at 45 min
Cool

Wish me luck!
BT

I'd assume someone played with the hops in that recipe, refined until "they" thought it good enough to publish with pride. I'd go with it.

Sounds like a good recipe. If you feel so inclined, I'd substitute pure cane syrup instead of the blackstrap. IMHO the blackstrap kinda "takes over" the flavor profile but I do like the cane taste. Cane syrup has a much lighter taste and is loaded in fermentables. Charleston Brewery in Charleston, SC makes a porter with alot of molasses and I think it just kills all the other flavors.
Good luck and tell us how it turns out.
ciao
Jeff

Looks like a nice strong porter. If you really want, you could simplify the hop schedule, say, 1oz Cascade for 60, 1oz each of Cascade and NB at 20, and 1oz Tettnanger at/near flameout. It's really up to you.

A cup of black strap is workable. I made an Old Ale that used three cups and that was too much. The hopping seems overly complicated for a porter and too much, period. Most porter's don't get aroma hops and the Tettnanger would get lost in a porter's nose. I'd skip it and the 30 minute Cascade.

Thanks guys! This is my second brew and I've never used any hops in the boil yet. your right, it makes sense for a porter to not have a real strong hop aroma and just enough bitter to complement the sweetness. I think I'll simplify it to

1 oz Northern Brewer (30 Min)
1 oz Cascade (30 min)
.5 oz Tettnanger (2 min)

Also, I was thinking of adding a little to the recipe:
some malto-dextrin powder to increase the body a little.

and

Toasting a .5 lb of two row Munich malt according to Palmer
*350 °F Dry 30 minutes Toasty, Grape-Nuts Flavor.

How much malto-dextrin should I add?

Back