1st Home Grown Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fuggles are really crawling the hallertau and cascade are doing respectably. Any hints for getting fuggles to take off. I only have two bines and they are about 2-3 inches and really are not taking off.

I was fortunate enough to get my rhizomes from a generous member in my brew club. Got 3 Centennials and 1 Brewers Gold to add to my 3 4th season Cascades growing up in Minnesota.

I planted the new rhizomes into pots, separating the two varieties. Within a couple days, I saw little buds poking out.

1 month later, and the tallest bine is roughly a meter up the twine now! Now I am about to head from my place here in Colorado and plant them in my garden in Minnesota. Hopefully they make the voyage. I leave in 3 hours.

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

SaevaVeritas said:
My fuggles are really crawling the hallertau and cascade are doing respectably. Any hints for getting fuggles to take off. I only have two bines and they are about 2-3 inches and really are not taking off.

My fuggles is the slow-poke of the garden too. Might just be the nature of the beast.....!?

Damn..! Those buggers grow quick..! Over the past two weeks the nugget has more than doubled it's height to 11' and starting to send out side-shoots... the fuggles is around 5'... not easy to see in the pic against the growth in the background

image-91247684.jpg

The nugget reached the top of the trellis (17') and is sending out side shoots everywhere..! The fuggles is about 10' now and has some side shoots too...

image-4146252277.jpg

The nugget bine topped the trellis, looped down about 5', grabbed the rope again and is going back up. The fuggles has slowed its climb but is really getting bushy..! But ... no signs of burrs or cones yet :-/

image-945923245.jpg

image-4201397457.jpg

My cascades have taken off here in SC. Here is a picture, not a great shot, but they are close to 20ft high. Just starting to bud and flower, but the hops don't start any lower than about 8-10 ft.

287795_10100571455241067_516689932_o.jpg

Got a ladder up and took a look at the top of the nugget bine... there are burrs everywhere up there..! Not the best pic but t'was shot with a phone...

image-3327775706.jpg

image-3638881362.jpg

Very nice! Of my 8 rhizomes planted, 4 are doing very well, 2 are mediocre, and 2 are slow. I have 2 that have produced bines up to 15' and one up to 12'. I have one at about 9', two at 3 to 4', and two that don't seem to want to climb beyond 2' depite a ton of bines popping through the ground. I just posted a few pics on my thread. Like yourself, I'm getting some burrs forming. One of the cascades is absolutely loaded with burrs, one of the chinooks has a fair amount, andthe other cascade is just starting to form a few. I had an issue with the natural fiber twine that I used for climbing lines rotting at the bottom with the ends being staked slightly below grade. My hallertau was the fastest out of the gaits and was up to 6' very quickly when I came home from a weekend out of town and there had been storms. Several of my ropes had rotted and the high winds snapped the climbing bines on those plants, so I have been struggling to retrain the later developing bines that have emerged to climb. I have since fixed my rope rotting problem and added more slack to my cables to allow sufficient tree sway, so now it's a waiting game. The slow pokes in my garden are my centennial and glacier. I also had some early issues with aphids, but an organic vegetable spray has solved that issue. Keep us posted on the progress, but it looks like you and I both should have little first year harvest! :mug:

Considering that these are 1st year plants, I'm so impressed with the Nugget... it's topped the 17' trellis and has climbed the tree above another 6'..! The fuggle is about 10' or so but getting really bushy. I used plain 'ole nylon rope and the bines had no problem grabbing on and climbing. The only maintenance I do is add a tablespoon of miracle grow tomato food dissolved in a gallon of water to each plant every weekend and water occasionally if there's been no rain. Other than that, no fuss..!

SWMBO took some nice pix with her fancy-schmancy camera...

image-3275719605.jpg

image-3718796321.jpg

image-2738401619.jpg

image-738442485.jpg

image-4126885310.jpg

image-1623288240.jpg

Went to feed the plants and noticed some cones starting to take shape on the Nugget bine..!

image-3562672802.jpg

image-3227205439.jpg

Nothing on the Fuggles... looks like I'll get some Nuggets though

image-1651105293.jpg

Harvest time..!! The fuggles did not produce any cones this year but the Nugget bine did really well..!

Should be more than enough for a brew or two..!

image-2767052271.jpg

image-3961097503.jpg

image-3885631374.jpg

image-2623212331.jpg

Nice work!!!! Looks like your 1st years did a little better than mine. I ended up with something like .3 oz. of columbus, 1.5 oz. of cascades, and 2.5 oz. of chinooks, so just slighly over 4 oz. total in dried weight. :eek:

I'm going to brew up a pale ale with and use 'em all in it. Not enough to do a big IPA like I wanted, but what the hell....a little is better than none at all. Congrats on a respectable harvest! :mug:

Thanks..! I'm thinking about a SMaSH with Golden Promise... I would call it "Golden Nugget"... haha..!

Back