Good Oktoberfest recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late, but I'm hoping to find a good Oktoberfest recipe. I know I need to use Noble hops, but that's about all I know. Any help (mash temps, etc) would be appreciated!

Have tried the one in Palmer's book? Looks pretty interesting. I have one D-resting right now (extract version). The AG version he has is a multi-rest infusion, let me know if you don't have the recipe...

I used 1lb caramunich, 1/2lb carahell, 1/2lb Crystal 40 for the specialty malts on top of 6lb Munton's light DME (you can sub 2-row if you're AG).

Hops: 1oz Tettnanger 60, 1oz Tettnanger 20min, 1oz Hallertau min.

Saflager-23 if you like dry.

This is the batch in my brewing vid and this is tied with my IPA for "most likely pint to be pulled" when i go to the kegger.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Did you search at all n00b? :drunk:

:mug:

Edit: Also, listen to this.

Thanks, Cheyco (and the rest of you). Apparently, you have to be able to spell to get the search to work! Thanks!

Another question, then- in Palmer's book, the recipe calls for vienna malt, but the other recipes call for pilsner malt. I can do maybe a two step mash (not three like Baron's recipe)- so is either malt better for me than the other? And Palmer's Denkenfreudenburgerbrau recipe calls for Tettnang at 40 and Liberty at 30 minutes (one ounce each)- any experience with that schedule or with Liberty hops in an Oktoberfest? I definitely want to accentuate the maltiness, but have it well balanced.

One of my best friends is in Germany now, until October I believe. I would love to get over there to see him and drink a few beers. I lived in Germany in the early 80s, and that's where I learned to drink beer.

Yooper Chick said:
Thanks, Cheyco (and the rest of you). Apparently, you have to be able to spell to get the search to work! Thanks!

Another question, then- in Palmer's book, the recipe calls for vienna malt, but the other recipes call for pilsner malt. I can do maybe a two step mash (not three like Baron's recipe)- so is either malt better for me than the other?

The Vienna will give much more maltiness and colour than the pilsener malt, and truth be told, you'll be fine with a single infusion mash. Listen to that mp3, it'll really set everything straight.

Yeah, I think a single infusion would be fine, especially if you use Vienna or better yet Munich. You could certainly use 20-25% Pilsner just for some enzyme assurance. Some melanoidin malt might give some decoction-esque maltiness, but I haven't tasted it in a lager yet (though I have a Pilsner conditioning right now with some melanoidin malt). It is excellent in malty ales.

According to the Kaiser, and I just trust him implicitly on these things, if you're using the Weyermann Pilsner malt a protein rest will help insure good clarity.

In terms of hopping, I would only do a bittering charge using traditional hops (Hallertaurer or Tettnang I think would be good choices) and aim for low-ish IBU's (for me this means ~25-30 IBU's on my system). The maltiness should really come out.

Wonderful info- thanks all! I'll put together my recipe tomorrow (I'm a bit under the influence tonight) and order my stuff right away. I really appreciate your help- my first Oktoberfest is going to be happening!

Back