my new philosophy with kegging equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnef

Reaction score
I posted this in another forum, but I have received some questions about it here, so I decided to post the information.

I wanted to share the evolution of how I work with my kegging equipment.

I've always used flared connectors because I've always bought the cheapest kegs I could find, and I like being able to take apart my equipment.

I used to use worm-drive clamps, but those cut my fingers on a regular basis, and did not seal the gas lines very well. Most of my gas line is still 1/4 ID x 3/8 OD tubing, which is what the homebrew shops sell, and what I assume most of us use for our gas line.

Then I moved to oetiker clamps, which are by far superior to the worm drive clamps at sealing but are a huge pain when trying to remove - I still use oetiker clamps when I need a clamp though, and I still have bags of clamps because I always buy more than I need.

I always used 3/16 ID x 7/16 OD tubing for my beerline because that is what is sold everywhere and marketed for beerline, and it seems to have a pretty standard pressure drop that people use with their calculations.

I like to keep spares on hand for everything, which meant that for both types of tubing, I had at least 100 ft, in some cases 200 ft of spare tubing. I also had to keep those stainless barb nut fittings for new lines of tubing. I don't even know how many of those barb nut fittings I have at this point, well over 100 though.

I never liked having two different types of tubing to deal with, and I did not like having to use the barb nut fittings. I began looking at options that were available, mostly through US Plastics.

I found these acetal john guest fittings: http://www.usplastic...74538&catid=832 along with some that had 1/4 MPT with 3/8 tubing fittings, and I also found 3/16 ID x 3/8 OD poly tubing from US plastics that could fit and seal with the acetal fittings.

I know I've invested a lot in the older tubing and barb nut fittings so far, but I have been gradually using these new John Guest fittings along with the new tubing for the new beer lines I've been installing in the walk-in cooler, and so far for the past few months, I've had no leaks, and they work well.

In the long term, this will be much more convenient for me, as I am gradually going to transition to all one type of tubing and all John Guest fittings. This will actually reduce the number of connectors I have from before - I used to install the barb nut fittings on all tubing, even on pieces I wasn't using at the moment, or for spares. With these John Guest fittings, they only go on the quick disconnects, and I can adjust tubing or change it easier by popping it out, cutting it, or replacing it, then pushing it back in to seal.

The only leftover part is the check valve for the gas line. I use the polypropylene check valves from US Plastics, and for those I still plan on using oetiker clamps, but I don't see an affordable way around this. I looked into the 3/8'' John Guest check valves and they were too expensive for me to put on all my gas lines. It would've been awesome if they were cheaper, but they aren't, so they aren't a viable alternative for me.

I also could not find a long enough John Guest bulkhead to pass through the coffin box, but I may just need to look beyond US Plastics for that piece. I think I've found one, and it is on order.

That was extremely long-winded, but I wanted to share my experience and what I've learned so far from the past 6 years of kegging and working with an ever increasing number of kegs and the frustrations that go along with that - I am at over 100 kegs now, and if any of you have been following the walk-in cooler thread, I now have 14 faucets flowing. I also still have a chest freezer with kegs in it too, along with numerous CO2 tanks and regulators - all of which I intend on gradually transitioning over to these fittings and the new tubing.

Here is a follow up post as well with some pictures:

Here is one regulator that I've converted over:

Here is the manifold that I have retrofitted with new valves and the fittings

Here are what the disconnects look like - they are the standard flared disconnects with the John Guest fittings on them:

Right now I am doing a leak test on everything that I've retrofitted (two set of regulators, and the one manifold). I need to be careful to make sure I don't create new leaks. Depending on how well these two sets go, I may try to retrofit the regulator for the walk-in, along with the manifold. If I can retrofit everything and make it leak-free (right now it has a big leak), then I may feel comfortable leaving the gas on the kegs in the walk-in cooler. Plus with these fittings, it is relatively easy to add in a Tee, or put in another manifold.

Once I've leak tested the manifold itself, I will make the gas lines, and put in the check valves, then do another leak test with the disconnects. I try to do my tests over a 24 hour period to make sure there aren't any leaks, and I only like to do one segment at a time, so it takes me a while to do a leak test.

I have also just ordered another bulkhead, hopefully it will be long enough to go through the plywood side of the coffin box. I'd like to get both my CO2 as well as my beergas to go through the coffin box and into the walk-in cooler through the use of the push-to-connect fittings if possible.

I have to be careful of cost though - I have so many disconnects, regulators, and manifolds (plus three jockey boxes and two randalls), that to retrofit everything at once is pretty expensive, so I will be trying to do this gradually. The next order may only be for 25 pieces, and I may need more than double that still at this point. Plus as I change out the fittings, I will also need to buy more tubing to match these fittings, and I may need another 200-300 ft of line, along with more check valves.

Whew. So far it seems to be worth it for me though, and hopefully I can retrofit the rest of my equipment within half a year or so.

A guy has a bad gas leak somewhere and decides the way to fix it is to replace all of his lines and connectors, which will cost a small fortune.

Ok then.

That's one of those posts that pretty much sums up on its own, not a whole lot to talk about...

Cheers ;)

I have my check valves in line just after the connectors, this would work great for me if I could go valve->check->JG->gas line etc.

Is this designed primarily to allow the swapping out of pin for ball lock, or have you uncovered another thing that this streamlines (I am looking for excuses to throw at the wife to justify a trip to HD)? It would definitely cut down on the cost of check valves if I didn't need them attached to every connector, your solution might actually be the perfect solution for me....

Have you had any issues controlling foaming using these lines? I used a ton of JG valves on my old reef tank and loved the way they worked, the only reason I never used them around the beer was the check valve issue.

Looks awesome, I would LOVE to make this change to my system, and since I need to connect 3 new taps I got for Christmas, this is very timely!

Link not working... maybe you can update the link pretty please?

Also, I need a bulkhead for my gas anyway, let me know if the one you get works, that will be the start of a conversion to that system for me, and the wife wants the co2 back outside the keezer so her soda keg can go back inside.

A guy has a bad gas leak somewhere and decides the way to fix it is to replace all of his lines and connectors, which will cost a small fortune.

Ok then.

That's one of those posts that pretty much sums up on its own, not a whole lot to talk about...

Cheers ;)

if you got cash you got cash

I must admit that I don't really get this thread. What was the issue that was solved with these JG fittings? Being able to quick disconnect?

Personally, I have a dual output regulator...each output goes into a manifold/distributor with check valves. I use oetiker clamps. I never quick disconnect anything except the actual ball lock quick disconnects between kegs. I don't know where the advantage of these John Guest fittings is?

ryanmcl - Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.

lotbfan - Sorry for the bad link, here is a new one: John Guest ® Flare Female Acetal Connectors 3/8 x 1/4 | U.S. Plastic Corp.

also here: John Guest PI4512F4S Female Adapter Flare - 3/8 x 1/4 Flare - FreshWaterSystems.com

I don't have any issues associated with the acetal john guest fittings. I do get some foaming on the first pour, but that is due to the nature of using a coffin box. They do have bulk discounts which I plan on taking advantage of.

edit - I forgot to discuss the bulkhead. The new one I received was not as expected. I still haven't been able to find a john guest push to connect bulkhead that is long enough for 3/4'' plywood plus two layers of rigid foam insulation. An option, if you are running an even longer setup is to use the 3/8'' unions using tubing (or copper of appropriate OD) to go through the wall.

day_trippr - This is not just to address a gas leak, this is to make changing out connectors much easier for both gas and liquid lines. I do not propose that this is the solution for everyone, but for my circumstances, it makes things much more pleasant to work with. I have over 70 kegs filled, a mix of ball lock and pin lock. I already sunk a good amount of money into my older tubing, oetiker clamps, and those flared barb nut fittings. Using these, it will make working with my walk-in cooler and chest freezers much easier and streamlined. I also have more than a handful of CO2 tanks and regulators I use on a regular basis, so being able to move things around makes things much easier. I also have three jockey boxes that I want to convert so that swapping kegs at an event is much easier than taking out the wrench every time. The cost is actually not that big of a difference, and I think it is actually cheaper in the long run - if you add in the cost of the oetiker clamps, the flared barb nut fitting, keeping two types of tubing on hand, and spares, it actually seems to come out cheaper to go with these acetal john guest fittings in my mind, but my mental math could be off. I also plan on buying 50 at a time though, so there is a bulk discount.

BrewThruYou - How many kegs do you work with on a regular basis? The fewer the kegs, the less you have to worry about things like this. Are all your kegs ball lock? If they are, even less reason to worry about this. I have a good mix of ball lock and pin lock (I bought whatever I could find cheapest at the time), so I need to be able to swap between them quickly.

My main goal with this was to reduce the different pieces of equipment I keep on hand - I keep spares for everything, quite literally. In fact, I still have over a dozen check valves, bags and bags of oetiker clamps, spare flare barb nut fittings, regulator gauges, 20+ poppets, etc. So to only have to purchase one type of tubing for both gas and liquid, one type of fitting for both gas and liquid, and to be able to change out connectors by pushing on a collar sounds great to me. I just wish I had known about these fittings years ago and saved the money I already spent on the 'standard' way of doing things.

So if this can help any of you to streamline, make things easier, and especially save money, I am glad to have posted!

For that, I just put the tubing on to the tailpiece as you would in a standard setup.

The only way I can think of to use a John Guest fitting would be to use one of those tailpieces that has a 1/4'' male flare, they are the ones that you can use to convert a kegerator system to use both sanke kegs and soda kegs.

Once you put that tailpiece on, you use one of the John Guest fittings on that, and you can quick disconnect the tubing from that end as well.

It would be awesome if I could do that, but I am limited in depth in my coffin box, and I have 14 faucets right now, so for me to buy 14 of these becomes expensive. If you only have a few faucets though, the cost shouldn't be too bad.

Here is the piece I am referring to: Tail Piece 1/4" MFL : Northern Brewer

I am sure other online homebrew shops also sell a similar fitting.

Just based on how bad quick disconnects leak on my air tools if the line isn't perfectly straight at the connector, I would not take a chance on these. With as tight as it is in some kegerators, you'd probably get one at an angle enough to cause a leak. You could lose beer and CO2.

I'd be interested to follow along and see how this works out long term.

wanna sell me some of your old flare conectors, was just about to buy another 25 to add on to my jockeybox. swivel nuts are still the go to for me.

Slipgate - These types of connectors are quite different than the quick disconnects used for air tools. I have been using them for my liquid lines on about 8 of the 14 faucets on the walk-in cooler, and have not had any leaking problems so far. I am still working to get the gas manifold leak-free (I haven't worked on it in a while), but the leaks that I've seen aren't with the tubing connection, just on the pipe threads and making sure they seal properly.

bucfanmike - Unfortunately, I haven't converted everything over to these quick disconnects, and I still have a LOT of things that are still using the flared barb nut connectors. Once I convert everything over, and know I don't need any more, I might be willing to sell them, but that could be a while, and I might want to keep them on hand just in case. I'd recommend for you to go ahead and buy what you need now, or consider looking in to these John Guest fittings as an option for you. Once you price the tubing (the smaller OD is cheaper, I believe), the barb nut fittings, and clamps, you may come out cheaper with these John Guest fittings.

The only way I can think of to use a John Guest fitting would be to use one of those tailpieces that has a 1/4'' male flare, they are the ones that you can use to convert a kegerator system to use both sanke kegs and soda kegs.

Once you put that tailpiece on, you use one of the John Guest fittings on that, and you can quick disconnect the tubing from that end as well.

Funny, I was just on hd.com looking at that option. The only 1/4" JG fittings i see that are threaded are nptf, do you know offhand if a nptf will thread on to a mfl fitting? I will need to convert my tail pieces from slip to mfl, but that would be a super simple connection. If I can get the wife motivated, we might head to the HD tonight and see what we can't put together. The other really nice thing about goig to JG is that they sell inline ball valved for cheap, very easy to turn off taps to keep visiting kids and pets from turning on your taps...

So you are looking for a 1/4'' tubing connection? If so, ihomebrewsolutions has one here: Fittings & Valves

I don't know of any other cheaper sources off the top of my head, but you might be able to find something. If you do, post it back here for everyone to see!

As for the threading, I don't know if the thread pitch would be the same, but for some reason, I doubt it, and if it were similar, I still wouldn't trust it completely.

Also, with those ball valves, check what material they are made of, and make sure it is something that is food grade and has a fairly low oxygen permeability, at minimum hdpe. I'm not sure if they sell acetal ball valves or not though.

Definitely update this thread with your progress and how things work out for you, even if it doesn't work out well. I figure the more information out there for brewers, the better so that they can make the best choices for themselves.

edit - here is a cheaper source for the 1/4'' ffl x 1/4'' OD tubing: http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-4250-john-guest-brass-flare-female-connector-14-x-14-ffl.aspx

Not counting on shipping for the gas and beer disconnects (I can get those locally) which cost 13 bucks for a pair, and not including the cost of the tubing (I have that laying around, and it is cheap if you get a roll at HD or Lowes) if we were to step up to 3/8" OD tubing, my shopping cart is showing $31.68 for the fittings to do one keg.

This price includes the acetyl ffl to JG fittings (four of them) a 3/8" check valve not in acetyl (it touches only CO2 so the food grade isn't as important) and an inline 3/8" acetyl shutoff valve. The valve you could get around if you had shutoffs on your regulators, which I do, just including them for completion sake on the pricing. This comes out to $44.68 per line.

At a standard online parts vendor for beer a basic (traditional) beer and gas line setup without the check valve or shutoff valve is about 30 dollars per tap shipped. An inline shutoff valve and check valve combo is $11.90, and by my calculations the adapters to get that into a standard regulator setup that terminated in MFL fittings plus clamps is about $13.50 locally. This comes out to 56.59 as the basic setup cost per tap.

The only other cost I see is mfl tailpieces are $6.50, as opposed to the standard 2 dollar cheapies with the slip fitting.

My cost to retrofit 5 kegs would end up being $145.40 assuming starting from scratch. Since I already have ball valves on my CO2 gang valve, that drops to $106.16 (shipping costs change a bit). This is very reasonably priced in my opinion. Steinbart's here locally charged me $46.00 per tap for all the connectors and hoses, and I have nowhere near the versatility of changing kegs and line lengths that this setup would afford.

Tax return coming soon, gonna put together this order and get the parts for one line in a couple of weeks, will report back on how it turned out!

That all sounds reasonable to me! I am impressed that you are going with the JG check valve. Please let me know how those work for you. I have so many gas lines, that it become very expensive very quickly just for those check valves.

That versatility is exactly what I like about using the JG fittings.

I like moving to the 3/16ID x 3/8OD tubing for both liquid and gas, not just because it is one type, but also because it doesn't impact the flow rate of the liquid that much, and it has a higher pressure rating than the 1/4''ID standard gas tubing.

I am actually excited that someone else is trying these fittings for beer. I don't think there are many of us, at least I haven't seen or heard any in the forums I frequent doing this. I look forward to your results!

I couldn't delay gratification and ordered in the parts to do one line, hopefully the parts will be here and installed by the end of the week. I will post back the photos when it is done. My wife is groaning, she had to deal with about 500' of ice machine lines from our RO system to our aquariums running all over our last house, and I think she still has nightmares of me coming home with homer buckets full of JG fittings for past projects. :)

I have done all my lines gas/liquid with JG's works great with BEV-FLEX tubing makes cleaning a breeze plus allows the line to move/rotate in the fitting...... gnef glad you like freshwatersystems

beaksnbeer - thanks for sending me the link! I haven't ordered from them, but their prices are definitely cheaper than usplastics.

If only the Bev-Flex tubing was a 3/8'' OD rather than the 5/16'', I would want to try it, but getting the different JG fittings, and retrofitting my liquid lines would defeat the cost savings of unifying to the JG fittings for me. I've heard that tubing is awesome though.

I have done all my lines gas/liquid with JG's works great with BEV-FLEX tubing makes cleaning a breeze plus allows the line to move/rotate in the fitting...... gnef glad you like freshwatersystems

is Bev Flex poly tubing that works with JG fittings?

i might be interested in playing around with this idea a bit - dealing with typical beerline hose on barbed fittings is wearing me down... it would be nice to have a convenient way to do line maintenance, replace a worn or dirty line or quickly and easily extend or shorten for whatever need.

have there been any drawbacks with the stiffer ply tubing over the more flexible typical 3/16 ID beer hose?

The 3/16''ID Bev-Flex tubing has a 5/16''OD, so you can use the JG fittings with the appropriate tube fitting size.

The pressure drop per foot is lower for the tubing, so you need more of it, I've read 18-20ish ft or so per line at average serving pressures. Like you said, it is stiffer, so the bending radius is limited if that is important for you (it is for me with a narrow coffin box).

I've also read that it can be troublesome getting the tubing to fit on to the typical 1/4'' tailpiece, so 3/16'' taipiece would definitely be easier to work with. If you use JG fittings though, this wouldn't be a problem at all.

Ha, I had this open to update, but I posted a message meant for a different thread.

I'll update anyway:

I have now transitioned even further with John Guest, and am about 80+% the way there, and am now using the bspp shank fitting to 3/8'' OD tubing, and am now using 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD bev seal ultra. Because the restriction is too low, I have also transitioned to Perlick 650ss flow control faucets. The main impetus for this move was so that I wouldn't have to throw away the first couple ounces of beer from each line due to plastic taint.

I have also been thinking about moving to poly tubing for my gas lines, but I don't like how rigid it is.

I have about half of the faucets and lines converted now, and will be doing the rest as soon as I can, this upgrade is expensive!

I still really like the John Guest fittings, they make changing tubing and disconnects amazingly simple. I am still buying more and more of them as I convert more of my equipment.

I have also converted two of my jockey boxes over to John Guest fittings, my 6 pass and my 2 pass. I am still using pvc 3/16" ID x 3/8" OD lines for the jockey boxes though, and have no intentions of changing those over to bev seal line, though it would be a simple thing to change later on if I wanted to since they are already on John Guest fittings.

Once I finish converting the other 7 taps on the coffin box from the walk-in to the 650ss faucets, john guest shank fitting, and bev seal line, I'll convert the last 5 pass cold plate to John Guest fittings. I've also been thinking about adding another two lines to the coffin box on the right side. I would only do this after finishing the other 14 taps first, and if there was still a lot of beer I wanted to put on tap, I will probably add another two to make 16 on the walk-in. I also have direct draw keg setups that I built using the 650ss faucets and a special fitting from chi company, but I put the two faucets from those (one for ball and one for pin) onto the coffin box, as I would use them a lot more there. Once I finish the conversion, I plan on getting another set of 650ss faucets for those direct draw setups. That will put me at up to 18 650ss faucets! Whew.

I've also noticed that John Guest fittings have become a lot more popular around here, and I hope this encourages others that are getting started to at least consider them. I really wish I had started with them, I would've saved a lot of money and time!

Here are some pictures:
21967033529_7041f0003c_c.jpg

21967035709_b792f19b8e_c.jpg

22232651705_3ed1273e29_c.jpg

Haha!

I should add a couple things that I just thought of:

1. Now that I have converted even more to John Guest fittings, I have moved away from clamps entirely, and will not install another clamp from here on out (I still have some lines I haven't converted yet that still have oetiker clamps), especially as I sold all my oetiker clamps and my oetiker clamping tool.

2. The main complication with having no clamps would be a check valve for the gas lines. I found a metal check valve that chi company sells that attaches directly on to the MFL of the disconnect. They aren't cheap though, at just under $10 a piece. I plan on getting 6 of them in the future to have 3 sets of ball lock and pin lock gas connectors. One set in the walk-in, one set for carbonation, and one spare set on another CO2 tank. This works for me, as I don't keep the CO2 on the kegs in the walk-in, as I wouldn't trust the manifolds for 14+ lines to be leak free forever. In fact, this is how I've been using my current manifold in there. It has 5 outputs, but I only use two of the lines at a time, one for ball lock and one for pin lock.

3. The only issue so far with the 650ss, john guest, and 1/4" ID bev seal ultra is that the coffin box isn't cooled, and I have to restrict the flow a lot at first, and then gradually increase the flow as the shank and faucet are chilled by the incoming beer. For small tasters, this still produces a good amount of foam, but for full pints, I can get it to where the head is just right. The sacrifice for this is pouring speed. The gain is that I don't have to throw away any beer, which is what my priority right now is. You can see the CO2 breaking out of solution due to the temperature difference right before the shank and John Guest fitting. I did try to cool the coffin box using a bilge fan and piping. It did work, but my coffin box isn't sealed or insulated well enough, and it brought too much moisture into the walk-in, which caused the AC unit to freeze up. After a few attempts, I decided it wasn't worth it to get it to work, and I have been satisfied with the pour from the 650ss.

I am selling some kegs (I still have around 90 or so in total, with nearly 70 in the walk-in storing beer, mead, or cider), to fund the rest of the faucet purchases, and once I replace the 425ss and ventmatics, I am expecting to recoup a good amount of the cost since those still fetch a good price, and I have the 8mm spouts along with the original spouts.

Well, I sold two more kegs today, and ordered another five 650ss faucets.

I also refurbished one of my old two body secondary regulators with John Guest fittings, and I hope to update the gas system of the walk-in when I replace the five faucets. I will replace the valve on the primary regulator with a new valve with a John Guest fitting (currently it has an integrated barb), and I will attach John Guest fittings to the 1/4" MFL bulkhead through the coffin box. This will allow me to change out all the tubing (I think it is all around 9 years old now anyway), and then have all John Guest fittings for the gas system in the walk-in.

Once I do that, there will be only one other dual body primary regulator that has flared fittings, and the one 5 pass jockey box. I already have two primary regulators converted over, and a manifold converted to John Guest fittings, as well as my 6 pass jockey box and 2 pass jockey box.

Once I change out the five faucets, that will bring me up to 12 out of the 14 finished and changed over. I hope to sell the 425ss and ventmatic faucets at that point, which will help to fund the last two, and possibly allow me to add another two taps on the side of the coffin box, bringing me up to 16 taps on the walk-in. I still also need to get another two 650ss faucets for my keg direct draw setups too though.

So far on the seven that I have changed over, they work exactly as I expect, and I am able to pour immediately with no waste. I don't think I'll have to touch my beer line or taps for a long time, and because the bev seal ultra is so smooth, I don't think I will need to be as aggressive with cleaning when I pump recirculate caustic cleaner.

Haha!

I should add a couple things that I just thought of:

1. Now that I have converted even more to John Guest fittings, I have moved away from clamps entirely, and will not install another clamp from here on out (I still have some lines I haven't converted yet that still have oetiker clamps), especially as I sold all my oetiker clamps and my oetiker clamping tool.

2. The main complication with having no clamps would be a check valve for the gas lines. I found a metal check valve that chi company sells that attaches directly on to the MFL of the disconnect. They aren't cheap though, at just under $10 a piece. I plan on getting 6 of them in the future to have 3 sets of ball lock and pin lock gas connectors. One set in the walk-in, one set for carbonation, and one spare set on another CO2 tank. This works for me, as I don't keep the CO2 on the kegs in the walk-in, as I wouldn't trust the manifolds for 14+ lines to be leak free forever. In fact, this is how I've been using my current manifold in there. It has 5 outputs, but I only use two of the lines at a time, one for ball lock and one for pin lock.

3. The only issue so far with the 650ss, john guest, and 1/4" ID bev seal ultra is that the coffin box isn't cooled, and I have to restrict the flow a lot at first, and then gradually increase the flow as the shank and faucet are chilled by the incoming beer. For small tasters, this still produces a good amount of foam, but for full pints, I can get it to where the head is just right. The sacrifice for this is pouring speed. The gain is that I don't have to throw away any beer, which is what my priority right now is. You can see the CO2 breaking out of solution due to the temperature difference right before the shank and John Guest fitting. I did try to cool the coffin box using a bilge fan and piping. It did work, but my coffin box isn't sealed or insulated well enough, and it brought too much moisture into the walk-in, which caused the AC unit to freeze up. After a few attempts, I decided it wasn't worth it to get it to work, and I have been satisfied with the pour from the 650ss.

I am selling some kegs (I still have around 90 or so in total, with nearly 70 in the walk-in storing beer, mead, or cider), to fund the rest of the faucet purchases, and once I replace the 425ss and ventmatics, I am expecting to recoup a good amount of the cost since those still fetch a good price, and I have the 8mm spouts along with the original spouts.

Could I ask about number 2? You say that you don't keep co2 on your kegs in the walk-in, and looking at the pictures I see no co2 lines, but liquid lines going out to your very impressive bar. How does the beer get there? You need co2 to push it, no? Am I missing something?

Ah! I wasn't clear. I carbonate my kegs before putting them in the walk-in, so once they are in there, they are ready to be tapped and are fully pressured. As I drink from the kegs though, the pressure in the kegs will drop, so I periodically go into the walk-in, and go around to all the kegs, and repressurize them one by one. That is why I only need a single ball lock and pin lock gas connector in the walk-in.

Also, I have two 50# CO2 tanks (along with five 20# tanks), one of which is used for the walk-in. It is right next to the coffin box, and chained to the side of the walk-in. I use a bulkhead at the coffin box to bring the CO2 line in. I will be converting all of those connectors to John Guest fittings, and also using the Bev Seal Ultra line as a CO2 line to replace my current PVC gas lines.

As I drink from the kegs though, the pressure in the kegs will drop, so I periodically go into the walk-in, and go around to all the kegs, and repressurize them one by one.
:smack:

Ah! I wasn't clear. I carbonate my kegs before putting them in the walk-in, so once they are in there, they are ready to be tapped and are fully pressured. As I drink from the kegs though, the pressure in the kegs will drop, so I periodically go into the walk-in, and go around to all the kegs, and repressurize them one by one. That is why I only need a single ball lock and pin lock gas connector in the walk-in.

Also, I have two 50# CO2 tanks (along with five 20# tanks), one of which is used for the walk-in. It is right next to the coffin box, and chained to the side of the walk-in. I use a bulkhead at the coffin box to bring the CO2 line in. I will be converting all of those connectors to John Guest fittings, and also using the Bev Seal Ultra line as a CO2 line to replace my current PVC gas lines.

Thanks! How often do you have to repressurise?

It really depends. If I just put a new keg in, I’ll go in once every day or two to make sure it is getting up to the right final pressure.

Once the kegs are all stable, it then depends on how often I drink, and which beers I’m drinking from. I would save average once every 1-3 weeks. If I am going to have people over, I’ll go in the day before and repressurize everything just to make sure.

Now, with the 650ss faucets, I plan on overcarbonating slightly to 2.8 volumes, and then allowing the pressure to drop to around 2.3 volumes (or when I notice a difference in pouring speed or carbonation of poured beer). The new faucets will allow me to do this easily because I can control the flow dramatically. I may even be able to overcarb to 3.0 volumes with no discernable difference in pouring, but I don’t think I will go that extreme just yet. This will allow me to extend the time between repressurizing.

I will say that this method has helped me keep CO2 in my tanks and saved me money. I have been using a single 50# tank for serving for over 9 years now. I have another 50# tank I’ve been using for carbonation for about 5 years, and I have five 20# tanks as backups and for portable use with the jockey boxes. I’ve only lost one 20# tank 9 years ago to a slow leak, and ever since then, I’ve always shut off the gas. It doesn’t make sense to me when I see people post that they’ve lost two or more tanks in the recent past.

I posted this in another forum, but I have received some questions about it here, so I decided to post the information.

I wanted to share the evolution of how I work with my kegging equipment.

I've always used flared connectors because I've always bought the cheapest kegs I could find, and I like being able to take apart my equipment.

I used to use worm-drive clamps, but those cut my fingers on a regular basis, and did not seal the gas lines very well. Most of my gas line is still 1/4 ID x 3/8 OD tubing, which is what the homebrew shops sell, and what I assume most of us use for our gas line.

Then I moved to oetiker clamps, which are by far superior to the worm drive clamps at sealing but are a huge pain when trying to remove - I still use oetiker clamps when I need a clamp though, and I still have bags of clamps because I always buy more than I need.

I always used 3/16 ID x 7/16 OD tubing for my beerline because that is what is sold everywhere and marketed for beerline, and it seems to have a pretty standard pressure drop that people use with their calculations.

I like to keep spares on hand for everything, which meant that for both types of tubing, I had at least 100 ft, in some cases 200 ft of spare tubing. I also had to keep those stainless barb nut fittings for new lines of tubing. I don't even know how many of those barb nut fittings I have at this point, well over 100 though.

I never liked having two different types of tubing to deal with, and I did not like having to use the barb nut fittings. I began looking at options that were available, mostly through US Plastics.

I found these acetal john guest fittings: http://www.usplastic...74538&catid=832 along with some that had 1/4 MPT with 3/8 tubing fittings, and I also found 3/16 ID x 3/8 OD poly tubing from US plastics that could fit and seal with the acetal fittings.

I know I've invested a lot in the older tubing and barb nut fittings so far, but I have been gradually using these new John Guest fittings along with the new tubing for the new beer lines I've been installing in the walk-in cooler, and so far for the past few months, I've had no leaks, and they work well.

In the long term, this will be much more convenient for me, as I am gradually going to transition to all one type of tubing and all John Guest fittings. This will actually reduce the number of connectors I have from before - I used to install the barb nut fittings on all tubing, even on pieces I wasn't using at the moment, or for spares. With these John Guest fittings, they only go on the quick disconnects, and I can adjust tubing or change it easier by popping it out, cutting it, or replacing it, then pushing it back in to seal.

The only leftover part is the check valve for the gas line. I use the polypropylene check valves from US Plastics, and for those I still plan on using oetiker clamps, but I don't see an affordable way around this. I looked into the 3/8'' John Guest check valves and they were too expensive for me to put on all my gas lines. It would've been awesome if they were cheaper, but they aren't, so they aren't a viable alternative for me.

I also could not find a long enough John Guest bulkhead to pass through the coffin box, but I may just need to look beyond US Plastics for that piece. I think I've found one, and it is on order.

That was extremely long-winded, but I wanted to share my experience and what I've learned so far from the past 6 years of kegging and working with an ever increasing number of kegs and the frustrations that go along with that - I am at over 100 kegs now, and if any of you have been following the walk-in cooler thread, I now have 14 faucets flowing. I also still have a chest freezer with kegs in it too, along with numerous CO2 tanks and regulators - all of which I intend on gradually transitioning over to these fittings and the new tubing.

Here is a follow up post as well with some pictures:

Here is one regulator that I've converted over:

Here is the manifold that I have retrofitted with new valves and the fittings

Here are what the disconnects look like - they are the standard flared disconnects with the John Guest fittings on them:

Right now I am doing a leak test on everything that I've retrofitted (two set of regulators, and the one manifold). I need to be careful to make sure I don't create new leaks. Depending on how well these two sets go, I may try to retrofit the regulator for the walk-in, along with the manifold. If I can retrofit everything and make it leak-free (right now it has a big leak), then I may feel comfortable leaving the gas on the kegs in the walk-in cooler. Plus with these fittings, it is relatively easy to add in a Tee, or put in another manifold.

Once I've leak tested the manifold itself, I will make the gas lines, and put in the check valves, then do another leak test with the disconnects. I try to do my tests over a 24 hour period to make sure there aren't any leaks, and I only like to do one segment at a time, so it takes me a while to do a leak test.

I have also just ordered another bulkhead, hopefully it will be long enough to go through the plywood side of the coffin box. I'd like to get both my CO2 as well as my beergas to go through the coffin box and into the walk-in cooler through the use of the push-to-connect fittings if possible.

I have to be careful of cost though - I have so many disconnects, regulators, and manifolds (plus three jockey boxes and two randalls), that to retrofit everything at once is pretty expensive, so I will be trying to do this gradually. The next order may only be for 25 pieces, and I may need more than double that still at this point. Plus as I change out the fittings, I will also need to buy more tubing to match these fittings, and I may need another 200-300 ft of line, along with more check valves.

Whew. So far it seems to be worth it for me though, and hopefully I can retrofit the rest of my equipment within half a year or so.

I've used these type fittings exclusively since the beginning..... along with the tubing they are designed for. They are wonderful! Having experience with Sharkbite fittings in plumbing which work with PEX, CPVC, and Copper, it's only natural that I looked for and found these.

H.W.

Yea, I wish I had known about them from the get go! That would have saved me a lot of time and frustration, and especially money! I have dozens upon dozens of swivel barbs that are just sitting in my toolbox now. I also have bought many bags of oetiker clamps, had many leaks due to the worm drive clamps which I also have dozens of now.

The only thing is that kuriyama didn't make bev seal ultra until fairly recently. I started brewing in 2005, and started kegging within a year of that. There really just wasn't much information at all about John Guest fittings for brewing purposes back then, and no one that I knew used any sort of non-pvc tubing, the best at the time seemed to be bev 200, and it was already pretty expensive back then.

This is why I try to tell as many brewers about these fittings and this beerline that I can, buy it once and be done. I have bought well over 1000 ft of tubing in the years I've been kegging, and I just recently threw out a few hundred feet of used tubing as I've been doing these upgrades.

I'll probably even try to put the bev seal ultra on the jockey boxes now. The only thing is that I think I'll have to coil the lines outside of the cooler because it won't bend easily enough to actually coil inside. But once I do that, I should never have to replace those lines again.

Nice build!

I am also thinking of making my own tap handles out of stainless hex rod, cutting it down and tapping it for tap handles. This current project takes precedence though, so I am just figuring out costs and tooling requirements. Hopefully I'll have some new pictures soon to post though!

Well, I just finished updating the last two lines. Now all 14 have Bev Seal Ultra 235, John Guest fittings for the disconnect and for the shank, and the 650ss faucets on the front. These are also on stainless shanks, but those aren’t new.

Here are a couple of pictures, one from each side:
22545761802_29371dbe09_c.jpg

22371367740_0942927437_c.jpg

The next project is to make stainless hex tap handles for the coffin box, and probably jockey boxes and direct draw keg setups once I purchase another two 650ss faucets for them. I need to complete the sale of the ventmatic and 425ss faucets. I will be buying a 12 ft hex bar of 303 stainless, have it cut to smaller lengths, drilling, and tapping it myself. It is an easier grade of stainless to work with, so I hope it works out well!

After that, the only items left to convert over to John Guest fittings will be my 5 pass jockey box, a dual body primary regulator, a secondary regulator, and a second manifold. I’ll need about another 30-40 or so of the ¼” FFL to 3/8” tube John Guest fittings for it all, including some more disconnects that don’t have the fittings on yet. If I have a spare $100 in the future, I’ll probably add another two setups to the coffin box, as I already have stainless shanks and spare John Guest fittings, and excess tubing on hand, which would bring up the total to 16 taps on the coffin box.

The only main disadvantage of this setup is that I need to explain to friends how to use the faucets, and to remind them to start slow, and then get faster, but that is a small price to pay in my mind. These are working quite well so far, and there is no plastic taint, which means I don’t have to throw away any beer now! This has been a long journey to get to this point, and I am glad that this tubing and these faucets were released, as this would not have been possible without either of them.

I realized I haven't updated this thread in a while with the most recent iteration of things. I actually thought I would start with a picture of my electric brew system. I decided to use John Guest fittings for my water supply line to the filter, and from the filter to the HLT. I also used Bev Seal Ultra for the water line after the copper.

26947360921_36ec51d211_c.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of how my serving setup is now:
22423526578_6c18bd1df5_c.jpg

23107916573_d853c34919_c.jpg

The only real changes were that I milled my own tap handles from 3/4" stainless hex bar. I drilled the holes and then tapped them. These I used my drill press with, but later ones I bought a chuck for my lathe, and then used a center bit to start the hole and get things centered better.

I also added two glassware racks above to hold all my stemware. I secured it to the walk-in front wall, and then suspended the front of the rack with steel cables. I like the look, and it is better than my first mental prototype of a false shelf. The suspension allows for much more light through, and opens up the space a good amount.

I've also converted all my Jockey Boxes over to John Guest fittings and Bev Seal Ultra tubing as well:
27997276214_c8ee441a78_c.jpg

27998071363_a060316bb2_c.jpg

After using the bev seal ultra and perlick 650ss faucets, I don't expect to ever go back to pvc tubing. In fact, if I do regular maintenance on the system, I don't expect to ever need to replace the tubing. I will say that some pours are a bit foamy, but I've come to peace with it, at least I'm not throwing it away, and I can drink it. It just isn't worth it for me to figure out how to chill the coffin box without bringing too much moisture into the walk-in (I've tried a couple times, and the AC froze up).

I have bought some braided thick walled pvc line to possibly use for my gas lines. I am using some of the bev seal ultra as gas line, and the rigidity does make it more difficult to handle. I haven't used the braided line yet though.

As a sidenote, I just swapped four 20# tanks, and CO2 is expensive now! I spent just over $100 for the swap. I also have two 50# tanks that will need to be swapped soon, and that will most likely run me around $100 as well for both those tanks.

Back