degassing rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I start with a wine whip (well, a cut-up plastic hanger I made myself) attached to a cordless drill, and after a couple minutes of that to get most of the CO2 out, I finish with a Mityvac.
I like it because it actually has a vaccum guage, and can pull a much harder vacuum than the foodsaver or a vacuum cleaner. I pump it down to -23 or -24 inches Hg, then when the vacuum drops to -15 or so I'll pump it down again. After the first few cycles, less gas will come out, and pretty soon it will keep the vacuum pretty well. Leave it like that overnight and you know it's done.

I liked the idea of using the wine savers to create negative pressure over the wine for degassing much more than I liked the idea of stirring until my arms were tired. I tried several ideas that sounded so simple to make it work (drilling the bung, etc.) None of those worked quite as well or as easily as I had hoped. Then ... I had a sudden epiphany that made it all work quite simply. I thought I'd post it for critique, or for the benefit of anyone else who is looking for a way to make it work:

View attachment 36116
View attachment 36117

My brother does this but uses a stopper jammed into a large bore funnel to connect the vac to the carboy.

I use Better Bottles so the whole vacuum thing doesn't work for me. Maybe I need a couple glass ones for the final racking.

I just made one of these. Thanks! The vacuum ejector was purchased on Amazon for $13 and everything else, including the compressor fitting was bought at Lowes. :mug:

Glad that it worked out for you! I figured many people had an air compressor around. This way you turn it on and come back to degassed wine :)

I'm trying to decide the most cost effective route for me. I don't own an air compressor so cost wise I would need to purchase one along with the parts to make a de-gasser, or purchase an aspirator pump. Of course I could use the compressor for other things which is a plus. What would be a good size air compressor? I had a small one before, smaller than a pancake compressor and it burned up when I used it to build my deck. Another option I'm toying with is I have a vacuum pump for HVAC use that can pull 30"mc. I wouldn't be able to use my freon gauges tho so I'd have to add one inline somehow.

I'm trying to decide the most cost effective route for me. I don't own an air compressor so cost wise I would need to purchase one along with the parts to make a de-gasser, or purchase an aspirator pump. Of course I could use the compressor for other things which is a plus. What would be a good size air compressor? I had a small one before, smaller than a pancake compressor and it burned up when I used it to build my deck. Another option I'm toying with is I have a vacuum pump for HVAC use that can pull 30"mc. I wouldn't be able to use my freon gauges tho so I'd have to add one inline somehow.

I would say to get something you can control the vacuum you are pulling. I have both a pump and this rig and i like both :)

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Heavy-Suction-Machine/dp/B001ADA5HY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1347840230&sr=8-14&keywords=vacuum+pump+aspirator

Last edited by a moderator:
I hooked a hose up to the inlet side of my small nail gun compressor , then piped it into the plastic carboy. Bad idea so much suction started to collapse carboy ,sucked water and oak chips into compressor. compressor stopped working. Had to take head off and reset the valves. plastic carboys can't handle but a few pounds of neg. pressure ,I found out the hard way.

When this thread was started last year, I was exactly in your position. I ended up getting a brake bleeder from Harbor Freight for about $28. This works fine for me. It's a manual tool with just one function. I tried the wine-whip, but I think you really have to combine that with fairly long bulk aging. For someone who already has an air compressor or wants a combo bottling pump that would be different.

I just made one of these. Thanks! The vacuum ejector was purchased on Amazon for $13 and everything else, including the compressor fitting was bought at Lowes. :mug:

I know this is an old thread. But can someone post a link to the correct vacuum ejector on amazon?

Back