The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough. I like those ideas. I just feel Vegas would be a better choice over Arizona. More appeal, closer to other cities. Just my $0.02

Well I'd take Texas over either of them. You're bound to wind up with some people who'll be upset cause there's not a stadium close to them. I think covering NYM, either DCM or Miami, Texas, St. Louis and a big west coast market would work the best. LA or Seattle would probably be my picks for western cities.

I have to say, reading this article, I love Klinsmann and hate whoever is bitching

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1381628/report:-some-u.s.-players-lose-faith-in-klinsmann%27s-leadership?cc=5901

It's not like US Soccer was some kind of power house before Klinsmann took over. His early returns have already seen them win for the first time ever in Azteca and beat the Italians for the first time ever, on Italy's soil.

To me it honestly sounds like someone new needs the captains arm band, If this is the kind of clubhouse Bocanegra is cultivating, maybe it's time for some new blood to take over. I hope it's Mike Bradley. Just watching him play he looks like a leader.

I hate players who make excuses like "we're not the Germans or Spaniards" cause the Germans weren't the Germans too long ago. The Germans used to be Stout defense and counter attacks, but Klinsmann changed them. He can do the same here. The old guard who's not willing to change won't like it, but we'll cultivate young stars who can TCOB.

I especially hate the fact that people are bitching about the German-American's getting playing time, you know why they're getting playing time? Cause they're putting in the work. Regardless of that as I recall 3 Germans played the last match, Johnson, Chandler, and Jones. 2 of them deserve to start cause no one is better than them (Jones and Johnson) and Chandler is close to Johnson but only started cause Cherundolo was hurt. It's not like he's starting Terrance Boyd at striker or something like that. He's putting his best team forward. I disagreed with benching Boca, and maybe I was right on that one (cause Gonzalez and Cameron looked brutal) but in the end the players have to perform as well. Right now everyone who likes to grumble about Klinsmann needs to look back at what happened under Bradley.

2 times we had a championship won, that we promptly pissed away in the second half. 2009 Confederations cup, we beat the Spaniards in a shocker (they didn't have their A game TBH) and had a 2-0 lead at half, which was quickly given away to a 3-2 loss. Then the true travesty, the 2011 Gold Cup, first off we didn't win out group, I know Panama is a good team, but we shouldn't have lost to them. Then we have the Gold Cup Final. US gets out to a 2-0 lead, and promptly lets Mexico score 6 and 13 minutes after the second US goal, then Mexico adds 2 more in the second half as the US was severely impotent. Until it happens, I refuse to believe Klinsmann would let up 2 goals with a lead.

I'm really excited to see what will happen in the qualifiers. There's a ton of injuries so I think Klinsmann will be forced to be highly creative with the lineup. I wonder if he'll consider going with like a 3-5-1-1. Maybe stick 3 big guys in the back with Gonzalez, Cameron, and one of Goodson or Besler.

I guess given the injuries this is what I'd do

LCB - Besler
CB - Cameron
RCB - Gonzalez
CDM - Edu
RM - Zusi
CM - Jones
CM - Bradley
LM - Shea
CF - Dempsey
ST - Altidore

I will be out of town friday night, struggling to find a bar that will show the game rather than NCAA basketball.
Wish me luck. I'll need it.

Some bar will do it. Maybe only on one TV if they have like 20 haha.

I will miss the beginning since I won't be home til at least 8:30 but I should catch the whole second half.

BTW I really hope Klinsmann uses Shea, either as a starter or sub. Need a kid with his ability on the squad. Until Landon decides to stop being a baby, Shea is the best wing we have.

Would really like to see Ozzie Alonso get the call up. There isn't an MLS forward that doesn't fear the guy. And the English teams that have come over like him too. Makes Beckerman look like a little kid in comparison. He's a citizen now.

Haven't really watched Alonzo, but I'd be hard pressed to think he's better than Jones or Bradley Maybe he'd be better depth, but I don't think he's the missing link. What the US needs is a CB more than anything else.

Alanso been in the top 11 for MLS the past two or three seasons. Pair him with Bradley and you own the middle. Best defensive center middie out there that is american.

I like Jones and Bradley together. I think they play well off each other.I don't like CDMs especially in a scheme like the US's they'd need more attacking players to really utilitze a CDM. Only shot of that is if Shea turns into a star and Landon comes back you could then do a 4-2-3-1 with

CDM - Alonzo
CDM - Bradley
RAM - Donovan
CAM - Dempsey
LAM - Shea
ST - Altidore

But given the current makeup, I wouldn't think a pure CDM would come in handy right now.

I like the 4-2-3-1 but you need the men to run it. Germans for example with Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Ozil, Gotze, Schurrle, Podolski, etc. have tons of midfielders that can fit into the formation. US doesn't have the attacking mids yet. Unless like I said, Landon stops being a baby and Shea develops.

Good result - but am I the only one who thinks it was stupid to schedule this match in colorodo? With all the fields with dependable weather to select, why colorodo?? Silly

There were two reasons:

1) They wanted to play at altitude so they can get ready for Mexico City next week.

2) Denver has the largest number of American Outlaw members.

They didn't cancel the match and we got away with 3 points. No reason to complain, if you ask me.

I am sure that Costa Rica will submit a formal protest to FIFA. I only saw the highlights but I was surprised that let the match go on. That being said, what it actually looks like at field level and through the camera are usually quite different.

I am sure that Costa Rica will submit a formal protest to FIFA. I only saw the highlights but I was surprised that let the match go on. That being said, what it actually looks like at field level and through the camera are usually quite different.

Yup, they said they're going to protest the game. Even though their players begged the ref to let them finish the game. Classy...

Let them protest. They would have lost anyway.

Do agree it was dumb schedule should have played in like Texas, Florida, Arizona or SoCal.

"Honestly, it was robbery, a disgrace, I've never played a game in these conditions," midfielder Cristian Bolanos told Reuters. "You couldn't see the ball ... if we had played without snow, we would have won, I am sure."

Yeah, USMNT came out to play.

The only disgrace here is that statement.

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset currentColor;"> "Honestly, it was robbery, a disgrace, I've never played a game in these conditions," midfielder Cristian Bolanos told Reuters. "You couldn't see the ball ... if we had played without snow, we would have won, I am sure." </td></tr></tbody></table>I bet you can only see snow in Costa Rica in pictures...

It´s a stupid thing to ***** about weather conditions because they are the same to all and a country hosting a match can choose the location of their liking and thats that. Bolivia for instance plays in La Paz at almost 4.000 mts altitude, because they have and advantage doing so... is that wrong? well no. Your house your rules... or USA it´s going to complain because they have to play in the altitude of MExico DF when they can play in Cancun at sea level and meanwhile enjoy some beach time? Nonsense.

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset currentColor;">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Obliviousbrew said:
Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset currentColor;"> "Honestly, it was robbery, a disgrace, I've never played a game in these conditions," midfielder Cristian Bolanos told Reuters. "You couldn't see the ball ... if we had played without snow, we would have won, I am sure." </td></tr></tbody></table>I bet you can only see snow in Costa Rica in pictures...

It´s a stupid thing to ***** about weather conditions because they are the same to all and a country hosting a match can choose the location of their liking and thats that. Bolivia for instance plays in La Paz at almost 4.000 mts altitude, because they have and advantage doing so... is that wrong? well no. Your house your rules... or USA it´s going to complain because they have to play in the altitude of MExico DF when they can play in Cancun at sea level and meanwhile enjoy some beach time? Nonsense.

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset currentColor;">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Agreed - think of the Caribbean matches in large puddles from torrential rain on top of crap pitches, its the way it goes

There whole protest is doomed to failure and here is why:

For the protest to have a chance of succeeding, it must meet specific requirements stated in the 2014 World Cup Regulations. One clause says that when a field becomes unplayable, the protesting team's captain "shall immediately lodge a protest with the referee in the presence of the captain of the opposing team". Costa Rica also had to file written protests with the match co-ordinator within two hours of the final whistle, and to Fifa's administration by registered letter within 24 hours, "otherwise they shall be disregarded", the regulations state.

I don't recall Costa Rica lodging any protests with the referee during the game. In fact when they tried to stop the game all the CR players seemed to want to go on...

I don't recall Costa Rica lodging any protests with the referee during the game. In fact when they tried to stop the game all the CR players seemed to want to go on...

This is very true. And the WC2014 regulations also state that a replay has to be played the very next day. A bit late for that.

Also, in awful news, Jermaine Jones will not be available for the WCQ in Mexico due to an injury. Crap. Who replaces him? Maybe Beckerman, if he plays a holding-midfield role. Or play the 4-3-2-1 with Michael Bradley in the middle of the 3. I'd like to see something like this:

-------Johnson---------

------------Gomez-----
----Demsey------------

-Davis------------Zusi-
--------Bradley--------

Beasley---------Cameron
---Goodson--Gonzo-----

--------Guzan----------

Yes, Altidore got the lucky bounce to Demsey against Costa Rica, but aside from that he hasn't been producing. Give Eddie Johnson a shot. Plus I liked Cameron on the outside and the combo of Goodson and Gonzalez looked solid. And props to Beasley for stepping up to fill in the USMNTs mystery spot.

1-Guzan; 20-Cameron, 3-Gonzalez, 14-Besler, 7-Beasley; 4-Bradley, 6-Edu; 19-Zusi, 8-Dempsey (c), 9-Gomez; 17-Altidore

So only 2 changes, Jones is out after getting his ankle stomped on last match. I guess with Edu in, Bradley will log lots of distance as he'll be the one who goes forward primarily of those 2. Only other change is terrible Goodsen replaced by Besler. Should make for an interesting match. Hopefully Cameron doesn't go too far forward.

Great first half for the US. Dominated possession. Looks like Klinsmann's style of play is starting to take place. Lots of great movement in the midfield and lots of good crisp passes even some great one touch passes. Just need some more chances.

Back