The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeeeesh. MLS is just getting handled in the CCL right now, The two teams that I thought had the best shots of going through to the round of 4 both lost badly yesterday. LA Galaxy got absolutely demolished by Santos Laguna 4-0 and DC United only managed a draw at home, going down 3-1 on aggregate. These are some downright embarrassing results, particularly for the Galaxy.

Now, only two games tonight stand in the way of an all Liga MX round of 4, Sounders FC and Real Salt Lake. On paper, based on the score, the Sounders have the better chance, 2-2 on aggregate...but they're against Club America at home in Estadio Azteca and they must win or draw 3-3 or better to advance; that's a tall order for any team in North America, much less a team in preseason that was the underdog from the start. Meanwhile RSL gets Tigres at home...but they're down 0-2 on aggregate, RSL will need to keep a clean sheet and score a tidy pile of goals to advance; did I mention Tigres are in great form after smashing Club America 4-1? For the Sounders, their only glimmer of hope is America's recent run of bad form in Liga MX (such as the aforementioned 4-1 beatdown by Tigres). For RSL, their only comfort is their elevation advantage and the fact that they're traditionally rock solid on defense at home. Honestly, I'm expecting both the Sounders and RSL to be shown the door, unfortunately; an embarrassing for MLS Liga MX CCL semifinal seems inevitable.

Crazy two days in the Prem. Leicester fared the best, getting a point against West Brom. Spurs, City, and the Arse not so much. We all bombed it, City in particular (perhaps justice for the League Cup result over the weekend). One of those few times where I'm happy to cheer on Liverpool.

Some folks are calling this our worst match of the season. I'd say the one against Newcastle may have been worse (and West Ham has been a much better side as of late), but it definitely was not pretty. The second half a little better than the first, but not by much. Fortunately defensively Wimmer and Alderweireld were alright, preventing the score from being much worse. Our midfield was awful and Harry wasn't doing much either. But at least the silver lining is that we only drop one point further behind the Foxes, and maintain the gap between City and Arsenal. Favorable results on Saturday could still spell a 1st place Tottenham.

Well, DC United is another story. I'm glad I didn't bother to watch last night.

Easily one of the biggest, most important matches of my lifetime tomorrow morning. I'll be in the pub with the local supporters bright and early. COYS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't been this disappointed in a draw in a long time. It was ours and we blew it.

Meanwhile Guzan on for Villa. Means if/when they lose, he'll certainly be blamed for it.

In USMNT/MLS news, Jermain Jones has a new team in Colorado, in exchange for allocation cash and the Colorado's first round pick the Revs gave up Jermain Jones, who will be paid in Targeted Allocation Money so that he doesn't take up a designated player spot. For the Revs this is an amazing deal, Jones made it pretty clear he wasn't going back to Boston, at least not for what they were willing to offer him; so for what is basically nothing they get a good draft pick and a pile of cash, not bad. For Colorado, well this just makes me think more and more that they are aiming to sell the club by acquiring any USMNT player they can to jack up the price; Jones does make them better, but it's not like defensive midfielder was the spot they were struggling with. This doesn't really change my assessment of either team competitively either, I assumed Jones wasn't heading back to the Revs; for Colorado Jones' injury and disciplinary issues along with any USMNT call ups almost assuredly means he is missing for at least 1/3rd of the season, and even if he was 100% available Jones alone doesn't make Colorado a big western conference threat. For Jones and the USMNT, this deal means that Jones is out for the next upcoming set of World Cup qualifiers as he serves his suspension for getting physical with referee Mark Geiger, he won't be available again until late April for any team outside of training.

Jones aside, MLS is back baby! WOO! MLS begins again tomorrow with a huge slew of games, the national TV schedule kicks off with a rematch of MLS Cup, with Portland hosting Columbus at 4:30 pm EST on ESPN. The MLS Cup rematch is followed by Sounders FC vs Sporting KC at 7 pm EST and finishes off LA hosting hosting DC United on Unimas at 10 pm EST. Get hyped MLS fans!

IT'S SOCCER SUNDAY!

Every club playing with matches throughout the day. MLS Live is fired up on NYRBvTFC and I have OCSCvRSL and CHIvNYC lined up and ready to multi-stream. Rocket League is running on the other monitor. This is going to be a day just jam-packed full of soccer. Prepare for sensory overload.

A few observations from the day of crazy MLS action. All of this, of course, comes with a fair bit of caution that none of this is truly predictive of how the season will go.

Seba Can't Stop, Won't Stop
Sebastian Giovinco scored a penalty and had an assist in Toronto's season opener win vs NYRB, if he's aiming to repeat his MVP season this isn't a bad start to the attempt. Toronto FC looks good overall in their first match beyond Giovinco too, not a bad start. For a team that retooled to be more defensive this offseason, NYRB certainly don't look it, for their sake they better hope BWP fines his scoring boots next game.

Neagle Scores But LA Runs Rampant
Well, that's one hell of a spanking to open the season for LA. Sure they were at home, but this was a clear warning shot to the rest of MLS, don't underestimate the Galaxy this season. Offseason offensive acquisition centerpiece Lamar Neagle scored a goal for DC United, but it wasn't enough as LA scored 4 unanswered goals in the second half. If this is how DC United look without Bill Hamid then this could be a very long season.

Oniel Fisher's Red Card Was A Rookie Mistake
Up until he got the first MLS red card of the year, Oniel Fisher looked like he might be an amazing young right back talent for Sounders FC, but a rookie mistake saw him sent off with a red card just before the end of the half. To be clear, this was a 100% rookie mistake, when he got up you could see Fisher shouting "but I got the ball"; but you can't go in with studs up and both feet flying and you especially can't do that after MLS specifically announced that they were going to clamp down on that. Fisher will learn, but it's a harsh reminder of why so many teams prefer experience over youth. For Sporting KC, there has to be some real concerns about offense, despite playing a 4-3-3 against a 10 man Seattle their only goal came off a lucky deflection/bounce and they didn't really seem to know what to do against an opponent looking to play defensively. Rumor has it they are trying to add a designated player striker to help fix the offense issue, for their sake they better hope he performs.

The Impact Are Nacho Piatti's Team, Not Drogba's
For all the talk of Drogba, the Impact were without him due to playing an opponent on turf, which Drogba apparently doesn't want to do. No matter, because really the Impact are Nacho Piatti's team, not Drogba's team, Piatti scored a brace and got an assist on a sans Drogba Montreal Impact side in Vancouver to start the season, if you love to see big individual performances, I suggest you keep an eye on Ignacio Piatti. For Vancouver's part, the two goals have to be encouraging for a team that struggled to score last year, but if it comes at the expense of defense Vancouver is in for a rough year.

Well, my Saturdays just got more interesting. Local Spurs supporters club is setting up a Spurs-themed side in the local rec league, and I'm joining up. Thrilled to be getting back on the pitch. Of course I've played one time in the last 15 years, so I'm sure my ball handling skills are absolutely terrible, but this is a rec side and all skill levels welcome. I'll probably get it back quickly with some practice.

can't understand this decision.
winnable competition.
chance for a big time trophy.

Nor can I. I normally trust Poch because when he makes a move I don't understand or agree with it seems to work out well. This time I just don't get it. Put out our strongest side for this, as Dortmund did. And then play the 2nd line against Aston Villa where we'll still make short work of them.

Though, even our better players on the pitch weren't good. This was absolutely dreadful. Completely and totally overrun.

And I wasn't even able to watch, just listen while at work.

Against another side I'd have (faint) hope we could reclaim it at WHL, but not against a side like Dortmund.

The bigger issue, this shows that while we've got good enough depth to do well in Europa as well as the league, we can't play our first team for everything and we are going to get slaughtered in the CL.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope this was a fluke night. But it stings.

So how about that kid Cyle Larin? Two goals and an assist in two matches. I'd love to see a sophomore win the Golden Boot instead of falling into the typical slump.

However, as a homer, I'd much rather Magee or Keane win it.

Didn't watch as I was taking an exam/driving home from said exam, but at least DC United didn't get whomped this afternoon.

Also this.

YOU HAD ONE JOB

Last edited by a moderator:
A few thoughts on the week of MLS action:

New Season, Same Sounders Injury Problems
The Sounders' new season has opened with two losses and a lot of injuries, at a certain point you have to wonder why injuries continue to be such a major issue for the club; either it's due to coaching staff pushing too hard or training staff doing poorly, but either way they need to find a way to fix this. The season is young, but 6 dropped points can kill you come playoffs time. As a note, injuries in Saturday's match include Jordan Morris, who took a head-to-head clash with Chris Wingert that sidelined him, probably with a concussion, he may miss next week's match.

Are Houston That Good?
Houston's second game of the season is a 5-0 thumping of rivals FC Dallas, once again scoring a bucket of goals (their opener was a 3-3 draw vs New England), does this mean the Dynamo are a dangerous, offensive team now? Not necessarily, let's not forget that this is the start of the season, and that San Jose thumped two teams by multiple goals last year in a similar manner and missed the playoffs. Nonetheless, Owen Coyle has to be pretty happy about his progress in turning this team into an offensive force.

Patrick Vieira Had the Pirlo Problem Figured Out, Until He Didn't
NYCFC's coach through 40 or so minutes, seemed to have figured out the "Pirlo problem", dealing with a midfielder that couldn't or wouldn't defend. With a 3-4-3 formation that was really more of a 3-1-5-1 formation with David Villa as the lone striker up top, Vieira added a high press tactic to keep Toronto pinned into their own half, and it worked...for a while. But once Toronto figured out how to beat that high press, in part due to excellent passing from Michael Bradley and Giovinco, they scored 2 goals and looked (at times) likely to score another. It's possible this could be the formation of the future for NYCFC, and if they can tighten up at midfield then I think it could work.

Well, I didn't know you could do that. Portland Timbers just traded future allocation money to Vancouver for Darren Mattocks, apparently that's a thing you can do.

Darren Mattocks Trade

The trade gives Portland a maybe great maybe not striker who is fast as hell, but it also means they could need to really slim down the roster next season. Perhaps the Timbers are trying to win another cup this year before going into a rebuilding phase.

Anybody catch the Bayern Munich/Juventus match? I didn't watch any of the original 90 (that whistle blew as I was walking in my door, and I'd been listening to Barca make Arsenal look silly before that), but did watch the extra time. Sheer madness. Come back from trailing by two to win by two in extra time.

However, not good for the Premier League's coefficient. Chelsea is out, Arsenal is out, only Manchester City remains, and they're not in good form. Meanwhile at least one English club goes out of Europa tomorrow, probably two (as much as I'd love to believe we could overcome our own deficit against Dortmund, it's not gonna happen, and indications are that Poch plans to play the 2nd line again). Fortunately as long as we don't slump it in the Premier League, and finish first or second, we'll be in the Champions League no matter what. But it may spell bad news for Manchester City (unless by an odd stroke they win the whole thing in the Champions League) even if they finish 4th.

Anybody catch the Bayern Munich/Juventus match? I didn't watch any of the original 90 (that whistle blew as I was walking in my door, and I'd been listening to Barca make Arsenal look silly before that), but did watch the extra time. Sheer madness. Come back from trailing by two to win by two in extra .

It's a shame, Juventus played their hearts out and played some quality football, for about 60 minutes then they completely lost steam and Bayern methodically broke them down. Great game though

That went about as expected. Still didn't put the best line forward, still lost, but at least we put up a little fight this time and at least we scored a goal. But still in all ways outclassed. But I'm sure the experience can't hurt, as long as it's not a distraction from the league.

I figured this was the place to share the 'Dry Side Supporters' hop based logo. They're a sub-group of Emerald City Supporters who are based in the 'dry' side of the state, ie east/yakima valley etc.

vvCsjw1O.jpg

Cant believe barsa played so sh*t today and cant even believe Mathieu is still playing in there. Well,at least both Madrids are far from the top of the table anyways

So...Tim Howard now plays for the Colorado Rapids...yay?

Tim Howard Officially Signed by Rapids

The move all but guarantees Howard starting time, but I'm not sure it's a really good fit for either him or the Rapids. For the Rapids, they're spending a lot of money on a position they are pretty solid at, keeper. They've got one designated player "on loan", but if or when said player comes back they'll need to pay down their salary using allocation money of some sort, and they've already paid down Jermaine Jones' salary that way, so something will have to give.

On Tim Howard's side of things, while this does get him back between the sticks, the Rapids aren't exactly a marquee team and it's unlikely that getting the starting spot on the Rapids will get him back into things for the USMNT. That said, he was almost certainly on his way to being cut by Everton, so financially this does make sense.

I still think the Rapids are angling for a buyout.

USMNT roster for the next bunch of World Cup Qualifiers has been announced:

USMNT Roster

There aren't any big surprises here nor any real snubs, though a key addition to watch is Fabian Johnson who went off injured for his club. Altidore has also been battling an injury and might play. The roster can be changed between the qualifiers, as a note. The USMNT face Guatemala in Guatemala on the 25th before heading back home to Columbus, OH to face Guatemala again. The USMNT are currently in 1st with 4 points, winning both of these games guarantees they advance to the next round (aka the "The Hex").

I wish Beckerman wasn't on the roster

He is old and slow. I wish Kitchen or someone else was on ther. Or just not have a true CDM

What I kind of want to see if Fabian is healthy (JK is probably jsut checking his health though) is a 3-5-2

Cameron-Besler-Brooks
Yedlin-Bradley-Mix-Fabian
Nguyen/Nagbe
Jozy/Dempsey

A few thoughts on the week of MLS action in the week before the international break.

The Emerald City Sees Red
I'm trying not to harp on Seattle news too much, but in the first three weeks it seems there's always something going on with them. In this case, fans, players and commentators were all pretty angry about a dive by Bolanos that got his team a penalty. (Here at 0:52 if you want to see yourself Vancouver vs Sounders highlights) Referee Mark Geiger also made some pretty obvious gaffs outside of this call and the second penalty was questionable as well. The Sounders may have bigger things to worry about though, despite running an offensively-minded 4-3-3 none of the three star forwards have scored a goal yet, all of the offense has come long shots from midfielders; that shouldn't happen in a 4-3-3 so heavily balanced in favor of talent at the front. The Sounders are at 0-3-0 now, they'll have two weeks to regroup and they best use that time wisely or they could be in danger of remaining in the basement all season.

LA Soundly Win the First Leg of the Cali Classico
The Galaxy and the Quakes renewed their rivalry this weekend in the first leg of the Cali Classico that San Jose won last year. Simon Dawkins was sent off with a red that I thought was a little harsh, but not incredibly harsh early in the second half, and that loss of a man doomed the Quakes. The Quakes have other opportunities to get some revenge later in the season though and they do seem to be a better team than last year.

The Crew Can't Seem To Get Going
The Columbus Crew are another team that seemed to have strong offensive power coming into the season that seem to have fallen flat. Two goals in 3 games and still winless, if the Crew want to have a chance to make a return to MLS Cup they need to step up and start scoring goals, their defense isn't strong enough to keep them afloat without goals at the other end of the park. The good news is that they have two weeks to fix things, for their sake Greg Berhalter better figure out how to reignite that fire.

Sporting KC Are Perfect on the Season, But Are They Actually Good?
Sporting KC has 3 wins in 3 games and seems to be rolling along, but they've also done so off of some pretty odd circumstances. Their first two games saw the opposing teams get red cards in odd spots, and the second game saw a pretty badly missed offside call on their second goal. In their game tonight against Toronto the lone goal came off of a missed Brad Davis offensive foul, though the referee missing the call was understandable as it looked shoulder-to-shoulder in real time. Outside of playing a man up though, Sporting KC have looked downright average and their physical style will come back to bite them at some point in the season and almost did when Roger Espinoza saw red in the waning minutes of tonight's game. Of course, Sporting KC have been missing their main creator in Benny Feilhaber, who should return after the international break according to what he said on the broadcast today; that might make them look as dangerous as their place in the standings says they are.

Back