Ever mix different yeasts with different styles of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
So I made a Belgian Dubbel using Wyeast 1214 Belgian ale yeast.

just as an experiment Im taking a gallon of weisse bier wort and using some of this Belgian ale yeast in it.

I want to see if it ends up tasting more like a weisse with a hint of a Belgian or like a light Belgian with a hint of weisse.

anyone ever try this?

Nothing wrong with trying new things. There is a recent thread on using Belgian yeast strains with IPA's, etc... Some people who have done it have had excellent results.

I agree with McKBrew. There is a lot of good flavors that can be had through blending yeasts. Both White Labs and Wyeast sell blended varieties, so you may just come up with a great combination.

Ed

I just made a ten gallon batch of an imperial chocolate stout. since I figured on two tubes of white labs for ten gallons, I went with one tube of english dry ale and a tube of california. I made a starter for the dry english and just pitched the california. (guy at homebrew store recommended I do that to increase the amount of dry english at the start due to its higher attenuation.) The beer turned out great.

Latest posts

Back