Glass blown equipment your thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCat

Reaction score
I am thinking of blowing some glassware for myself (some glass airlocks, a couple wine thiefs).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the demand for such? Would it be worth while to blow a few extra? I know plastic is much more durable, but there isn't much that feels/looks as nice as a piece of glassware. It has been years but the thought of blowing lab glass again just sounds fun.

Jon

i think glass air locks would be cool
i would like to have one for my yeast starter flask

I don't know how much demand there would be for blown glass airlocks since they are mostly aesthetic andyou generally keep that stuff hidden away. Now some thick tap handles on the other hand....

Pics and prices...

Depending on the amount of labor involved and cost of materials, you may have some sale opportunities. Keep in mind that as a group homebrewers are a frugal bunch but for some things (See bmbox's boxes) it's worth splurging.

No pics, no prices, still trying to decide if its worth doing more than a few. I would have to go with Borosilicate glass, so the stuff could be heated/cooled repetitively without worry. I am frugal as the next guy, but everyone wants something nice sometimes.

Hand formed or wrapped around a jig?
Custom neon sign making is a big money
item. A person a few blocks away does
this as a business in San Francisco.
he had to make a sign, "No Pipes or Bongs Made here".

Put me down for two 6.5 gal. carboys. I'll order more if the price is right and they are of acceptable quality. I would also like to order two 5 liter Erlenmeyer flasks. How much would those cost?

Put me down for two 6.5 gal. carboys. I'll order more if the price is right and they are of acceptable quality. I would also like to order two 5 liter Erlenmeyer flasks. How much would those cost?

Yeah, how about a 6 gallon handblown carnival glass carboy? :rockin:

I won't be blowing any big pieces (ie carboys) or pieces that are commonly available in glass (flasks). I will order some Borosilicate lab glass this week, and draw up some designs.

I'd like to see some pics even if you don't decide to make any more than a few for yourself.

Which brings us full circle back to the bong issue. What do you think?

I still say the glass tap handles would be a cash cow. They go for $50-75 online, but they can't be nearly that expensive to make

How about a glass autosiphon? :) (This would be so sweet, but I'm sure it is not doable)

I do think a glass wine thief would be sweet, I could boil it in a tray in the oven to sanitize it if I wanted to. Even better is if I could take it apart to pressure cook it to sterilize.

No pics, no prices, still trying to decide if its worth doing more than a few. I would have to go with Borosilicate glass, so the stuff could be heated/cooled repetitively without worry. I am frugal as the next guy, but everyone wants something nice sometimes.

I appreciate you thinking of us. Actually glass blowing is pretty cool. A neighbor when I was growing up used to do it as a hobby. It facinated me. He made some beautiful things, some of which my mom still has to this very day.

1228149124821-1741251596.JPG

121_small.jpg

119_small.jpg

That bank of tap handles looks oh so nice. I might be interested in some of those.

Yeah like all 24 of them for me.
They would look great lighted by a
white LED placed into the center at
the base glowing in the dark. No Kinko.

There's a place in Berkeley Calif.
in the free News Paper Stand section
titled "Good Vibrations", it was on
TV plus run by a (?) woman? Say no more.

Slip free grip tap handles anyone?

Put me down for two 6.5 gal. carboys.

Catt22 you just gave me a great idea.
I need one carboy without bottom, one without top and bottom to design an all working glass brewery with mash mixer, etc.:D

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Well, everybody's given you some thoughts about this. Since you're not a Vendor on the site at this point, though, no sales or discussion of sales can take place.

Good luck- I really like some of the ideas put forth in here! I know that glass tap handles weren't what you were thinking, but I sure think they would be cool! Cheap plastic airlocks are under $1, so I can't see myself purchasing handblown glass ones. But glass tap handles? Yeah- that would be awesome.

If you can make some killer glass tap handles, i may have to convert my keezer and stop using picnic taps! Let me know when you have your vendor mebmership and pictures of tap handles for sale!

Back to tap handles... I would consider if they were nice! I have some inserts and am currently looking for items to drill and tap for tap handles. Some nice glass ones would be sweet!

I have buddy who blows soft glass for a living....I may have to see what he thinks. Maybe I can get a nice thief and sample container

...I want a hydrometer test tube!

Ditto. A borosilicate hydrometer test jar would be sweetness for taking preboil gravity samples and chilling them, especially if the walls were thick enough to take the typical knocking about that hydro jars seem to get.

Doubly sweet would be if there were some way to incorporate the rubber/plastic bumpers you see on graduated cylinders so they don't break if they get knocked over.

Back