Anyone use grape tannin in mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
I bought some on a whim at my (not so) local home brew shop (45min drive). It was cheap and I'd seen it listed in a few recipes somewhere.

I'm pretty new at brewing and making mead and I'd like to know when you might use tannin.

Thanks

I think the only time you'd want to use it in a mead is if you were making some sort of a pyment. I didn't know you could buy tannin separately, I've normally left the skins in the must and fermented whenever I want some of that flavor. So needless to say, I've never used it in meads before. I don't think it would be *bad*, per se, to use it, I just can't say what the results would be.

You may see a mead recipe with tannin listed- I can't think of any right now, but I'm sure there are some.

Tannin is what gives red wine its "bite". I also use the powdered tannin in my apple wines, for some complexity. Be careful- that stuff is potent! I use like 1/8 tsp in 5 gallon batches.

some mead makers 'swear' that you need the tannin to balance the mead sweetness.

I'm not one of them.

adding tannin isn't a sin, but its probably fairly uncommon among the recipes you'll find.

some mead makers 'swear' that you need the tannin to balance the mead sweetness. I'm not one of them. adding tannin isn't a sin, but its probably fairly uncommon among the recipes you'll find.
Those would be my comments as well. I had my first (and last) experience using tannin in a pear wine I made in 2000. After 8 years, the tannin 'bite' is still too much for me... :(

I have a number of "quick meads" that use tannin in the recipe..the recipe describes it's need for tannin for taste and to help in clearing.

I have a number of "quick meads" that use tannin in the recipe..the recipe describes it's need for tannin for taste and to help in clearing.

This recipe calls for grape tannin.

Three Week Quick Mead

I have a batch of it going now. Will post when it has been 3 weeks. Not sure how good it will be but I'm willing to try it.

I think a lot of old recipes call for tannin often in the form of tea not just to add mouthfeel to it but I think tannins are supposed to help clear mead (bind to and precipitate excess protein in the honey). my only experience with it was a 1 gallon batch of mead that called for 1 cup of strong english tea, I dumped it after a long wait because its flavor was best described as cigarette butts.

Amiaji---I made that exact quick mead recipe and just finished drinking my last bottle a couple nights ago. It ends up being a sweet, fairly strong honey taste, that is pretty hot fresh out. My last bottle was not as "hot" as my first..so I think once you bottled, if you could let it set a couple weeks before drinking it would be perfect. But it ain't bad right out. I'll make it again.

Dan

Do you think that recipe will work with lalvin d47 instead of the yeast they say you "must use?" They both have 14% EtOH tolerance.

Do you think that recipe will work with lalvin d47 instead of the yeast they say you "must use?" They both have 14% EtOH tolerance.

D-47 is my personal favorite mead yeast. I have had issues with it crapping out at 12% though..even with nutrients and such. I have never tried staggered nutrient additions with it.

Remember...I's mead...not brain surgery, and there is definitely more than one "right" way to make it.

I'd say "yes" & this is why:

Lalvin ICV-D47 (Côtes-du-Rhône) : This is a low-foaming quick fermenter that settles well and forms compact lees at the end of fermentation, although when left on the lees, ripe spicy aromas with tropical and citrus notes develop. This strain tolerates fermentation temperatures ranging from 50° to 86° F. and enhances mouth feel due to complex carbohydrates and high polysaccharide production. Malolactic fermentation proceeds well in wine made with ICV-D47. This strain is recommended for making wines from white varieties such as Chardonnay and for rosé style wines. It is ideal for persimmon, peach, nectarine, paw-paw, and mango, as well as aromatic wines such as rose petal, elderflower, anise and woodruff. It is also an excellent choice for producing mead if supplemented with yeast nutrients, especially usable nitrogen. Its alcohol ceiling is 14%.

Regards, GF.

Back