Carbonation Drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Sunday was a busy day during which i had family over, mother's day, racking wine, broken hydrometer, etc. I also decided to bottle my Honey-Amber.

On the ride into work this morning I realized that I may have made a tremendous "dumb-ass" mistake. What you may ask? I can't remember adding my priming sugar to the bottling bucket. Doh! Now, I have done so many batches I can't count and have never done anything like that before. I caleld the wife, and she swears I did add it. I just don't remember it. Once I get home from work, a quick check of my "priming sugar packets" will confirm wether I did or didn't.

If I didn't what is the best was to recover these (mostly flip-lid...thank god)? Coopers drops? How many per fluid ounce (some are 12oz, some are 500ml, some are 750ml, and some are 1L)? Is there a better drop in carbing method?

-Todd

I've started using them on every batch to ensure I have the correct amount of priming sugar in each bottle. I only bottle in 22ers and it works great with two per.

12 oz / 350 ml - 1 tab
22 oz / 750 ml - 2 tabs

For the 5 hundy and the 1 litre you can figure it by the chart on the back of the packaging and split up some tabs.

Sunday was a busy day during which i had family over, mother's day, racking wine, broken hydrometer, etc. I also decided to bottle my Honey-Amber.

On the ride into work this morning I realized that I may have made a tremendous "dumb-ass" mistake. What you may ask? I can't remember adding my priming sugar to the bottling bucket. Doh! Now, I have done so many batches I can't count and have never done anything like that before. I caleld the wife, and she swears I did add it. I just don't remember it. Once I get home from work, a quick check of my "priming sugar packets" will confirm wether I did or didn't.

If I didn't what is the best was to recover these (mostly flip-lid...thank god)? Coopers drops? How many per fluid ounce (some are 12oz, some are 500ml, some are 750ml, and some are 1L)? Is there a better drop in carbing method?

-Todd

If it turns out you need to add carb tabs, go with Munton's, not coopers. Coopers are fine if you're only using 12oz bottles...because it's one tab per 12oz btl. However, if, like me, you have different bottle sizes (and it appears from above that you do), then Munton's works better because the tabs are smaller---and since the sugar amounts are in smaller increments, you can adjust easier for odd bottle volumes. For instance, for normal carbonation you use 4 tabs per 12oz bottle. So for a 500mL bottle, you'd use 5 or 6 tabs.

Evan,

I missed your post. I picked up some Coopers drops at lunch along with a replacement for my broken hydrometer (3rd one this year....bad streak). I am going to have to guesstimate the 1L and .5L bottles.

Well, it turns out my wife's memory is better than mine. I did prime the batch. I will just use the Coopers drops to carb my Belgian Strong...two drops to a belgian 750ml will be perfect.

Thanks guys.

-Todd

Sorry, Homer, I wasn't aware that the Munton's versions came in smaller sizes, or I would have steered you in the direction Evan did. I only bottle in 22's so it hasn't been a prob for me yet.

so how many Munton's tabs/ bottle to properly carb a Belgian Dark Strong Ale?

a. 12 oz. bottles =
b. 22 oz. bottles =

thanks!

Back