Belgian Trippel FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
Howdy

My recipe sheet doesn't seem to indicate what the FG should be.

My SG was 1.080 and I took a reading yesterday and now I'm at 1.020...been in bucket for 1-1/2 weeks.

I'm going to take another reading tonight to see if it has moved but what should my FG? I'd like to rack it to a secondary tomorrow if possible

Another perfect example of why brewing software is useful. The FG will depend on your recipe, without that nobody can say for sure, but if you plug your recipe into brewing software it'd tell you.

Offhand, 1.020 for a beer with such a high OG doesn't sound too bad, but no matter what, you're better off checking the OG several days in a row and racking to secondary only after the SG reading is stable for 2-3 days.

Diablotastic said:
Howdy

My recipe sheet doesn't seem to indicate what the FG should be.

My SG was 1.080 and I took a reading yesterday and now I'm at 1.020...been in bucket for 1-1/2 weeks.

I'm going to take another reading tonight to see if it has moved but what should my FG? I'd like to rack it to a secondary tomorrow if possible

The BJCP style guidelines suggest 1.010-1.016, but from 1.080, 1.020 seems totally reasonable. If it doesn't move, I'd say you've hit it.

An authentic tripple should be quite dry, you are aiming for at least 80% attenuation. This is why using simple sugars is a big part of brewing Belgian Abbey ales, the sugar is easily fermented leaving a dry beer.

Funkenjaeger said:
Another perfect example of why brewing software is useful.
:off:
You know, I've been looking for a good hobby to take up after graduation (homebrewing doesn't take up enough time) and I think this might be something fun to do. Thank you sir, for that bit of inspiration! :rockin:

Back