mashout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently upgraded to a 10 gal system with a keggle for my mashtun. I've done 2 batches with a mashout on each by adding direct heat (i.e. not through infusion). I'm worried that I could scorch the grain, but it hasn't happened yet as far as I can tell. I could easily do an infusion mashout as part of my batch sparge process, but part of the reason I wanted a keggle vs a cooler MLT is so I could to step mashes and/or mashouts by only adding add'l heat. I'd hate to ruin a brew day because of a scorched mash though.

How do those of you with a keggle MLT peform mashouts and step mashes? Has anyone run into problems with scorching the grain?

I don't have a keggle, but I have done decoction mashes and usually mash out by taking a portion of grain and boiling in another pot. You have to get a long mash paddle and constantly stir as you heat the mash "tun" so that the grains don't scorch, and I mean stir constantly.

I've direct-fired my keg MLT many times with no problems. Just set the burner pretty low and keep stirring. Keep the temperature change at ~ 2 degrees/minute and you won't scorch the mash. I use a pump now to recirculate the wort during steps/mashout - no more stirring. :D

I have a 15 gal pot with a circular copper pipe w/ slits cut into it for the filter for my MLT. I have scorched the grain by adding direct heat even with constant stirring (here, try my "smoked" IPA). The area that scorched was directly under the copper tubing. Now, when I need to add direct heat, I take a metal spatula and stir under the copper tubing. So far, that has worked well.

I would like to get a false bottom for my MLT because I think that may solve the problem. Anyone have experience adding direct heat with a false bottom?

Yeah, I guess I didn't say - my keg MLT has a FB with very little dead space underneath - less than what it looks like in the pic.

I wouldn't have imagined that it would make all that much difference, though. Maybe you had the heat a little too high?

inside_mlt.JPG

i have a similar false bottom. good to know others are doing the same w/ little troubles. pump is next on my list.

Back