Wisconsin Here I Come

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going back there July30-Aug06...Flying into Madison, spending the day at my moms in Portage and then the next day driving up to the Oconto County area for 4 days after a drive by @ Lambeau Field. We will be going up the 41, so maybe lunch at a brewery?.Which brewery(s) do I have to go to?

Going back there July30-Aug06...Flying into Madison, spending the day at my moms in Portage and then the next day driving up to the Oconto County area for 4 days after a drive by @ Lambeau Field. We will be going up the 41, so maybe lunch at a brewery?.Which brewery(s) do I have to go to?

I really like Titletown for lunch and beer, and then a walk across the street to Hinterland and their upstairs bar. (Hinterland is a pricey dinner place, with gourmet food, but the beer is good and I like their pale ale a lot). Titletown has great food, and really good beer. David, the brewer, is usually friendly and helpful to brewers, and I know Zamial (from this forum- that's his user name) works at Titletown now as well. Titletown is in downtown Green Bay, not too far from Lambeau Field.

I can't think of anything else near or on 41. There is Stone Cellar in Appleton, and that's pretty good and it's not too far off of 41.

Well, Fox River is "meh" at best and the food has gone downhill badly. It's at the mall, so that may be convenient if shopping.

Slab City closed YEARS ago!

I really like Titletown for lunch and beer, and then a walk across the street to Hinterland and their upstairs bar. (Hinterland is a pricey dinner place, with gourmet food, but the beer is good and I like their pale ale a lot). Titletown has great food, and really good beer. David, the brewer, is usually friendly and helpful to brewers, and I know Zamial (from this forum- that's his user name) works at Titletown now as well. Titletown is in downtown Green Bay, not too far from Lambeau Field.

I can't think of anything else near or on 41. There is Stone Cellar in Appleton, and that's pretty good and it's not too far off of 41.

Thanks Yooper...I just might have to check out both places. During my trip, I wonder how many bombers I'll be shipping home?

Thanks Yooper...I just might have to check out both places. During my trip, I wonder how many bombers I'll be shipping home?

I'd try to not miss New Glarus (south of Madison). That's probably the best in Wisconsin.

One thing I'd suggest is going up I39/51. There are a couple of breweries along the way, one in Plover. It's really good, and people like it. http://www.osobrewing.com/Home.php

Point Brewing is popular as well (in Steven's Point). They have a tour, I believe. There are a couple in Wausau, but are newer and I haven't been there (except for Hereford and Hops, which is decent). There is Central Waters in Marshfield, but I don't care for their beers much. Others do, so it may just be me. Legends (Green Bay and Appleton) is terrible, but the food is ok (like an Applebee's type).

I just can't think of anything at all along HWY 41. You could go up I39, and then cut over on 29 to go to Green Bay.

There are lots of breweries and good beer in Milwaukee, if you're headed that way.

Here's a list I found: http://www.wistravel.com/breweries.htm

I have seen a Wisconsin "Beer Map", but I don't remember where. I rarely get to southern WI, but I know central and northern quite well.

I'll second Titletown for sure. Great beer and food. Probably go there 2x a month easily. Hinterland is okay as well but real expensive to eat. That's about it really for around here. (I live in GB and am a nice scooter ride away from Titletown Brewer)

If you're looking for a good bar that serves beer there's The Libertine (Tony's a great guy and from the UP) on Washington St and The Cock and Bull on Main. Best 2 in town for craft beers (IMO).

looking for a place to go for lunch before or after our visit inside Lambeau,,,,,then maybe pick up beers only for the trip up and back. My brother drinks nothing but Miller Light in the can...maybe I can change his palate....he never liked margaritas or fish tacos till he visited us out here in San Diego. Sounds like Titletown is on the list. Hinterland too, but won't go there for lunch

I'd try to not miss New Glarus (south of Madison). That's probably the best in Wisconsin.

One thing I'd suggest is going up I39/51. There are a couple of breweries along the way, one in Plover. It's really good, and people like it. http://www.osobrewing.com/Home.php

Point Brewing is popular as well (in Steven's Point). They have a tour, I believe. There are a couple in Wausau, but are newer and I haven't been there (except for Hereford and Hops, which is decent). There is Central Waters in Marshfield, but I don't care for their beers much. Others do, so it may just be me. Legends (Green Bay and Appleton) is terrible, but the food is ok (like an Applebee's type).

I just can't think of anything at all along HWY 41. You could go up I39, and then cut over on 29 to go to Green Bay.

Oso's is literally like like 400 yards off of I39, they have their brewery, a nice LHBS plus an awesome tap house that has like 50 Wisconsin beers on tap (plus non WI). All right next to each other.

Point is sorta half way between a micro and a BMC type of brewery, but the tour is really nice.

Central Waters is actually in Amherst ~roughly 15miles east of Oso/I39 I would guess. I like their beers and they have a nice tap house as well.

I'm trying to remember the actual name, but there is a great bottle shop in Green Bay. Around here, they call it the "Church of Beer", but that's definitely not the real name. I think it's pretty close to Lambeau. Does anybody know the place I mean? That have everything, including Wisconsin micros, as well as stuff that is from out east that isn't available anywhere else in Wisconsin.

I'm from Green Bay and I'm trying to think of where the "Church of Beer" would be. Normally I hit up Woodman's (just off 41 and near Fleet Farm) because their selection is also really good. Ridge Road Liquor is also just down the street from Lambeau, and they have a good selection as well...and I have seen some unusual stuff there.

I'm from Green Bay and I'm trying to think of where the "Church of Beer" would be. Normally I hit up Woodman's (just off 41 and near Fleet Farm) because their selection is also really good. Ridge Road Liquor is also just down the street from Lambeau, and they have a good selection as well...and I have seen some unusual stuff there.

Ridge Road! That's it!!!!

The Church of Beer, because in the UP here we don't have ANY good beer. We don't get beers that are distributed outside of Wisconsin, but our distributors come from Wisconsin so we don't get Michigan breweries either- like Founders or even Bell's!

So when you go into Ridge Road, it's a "praise God" sort of experience- hence the "Church of Beer"! :cross:

I had never had Bell's until I went to visit a friend of mine in Escanaba...so for a while, anyway, they were selling in their own state.

(getting off-topic) No good beer? What do you think of the breweries in Marquette? I've already hit Vierling and Blackrocks and would like to hit up Ore Docks this summer.

I had never had Bell's until I went to visit a friend of mine in Escanaba...so for a while, anyway, they were selling in their own state.

(getting off-topic) No good beer? What do you think of the breweries in Marquette? I've already hit Vierling and Blackrocks and would like to hit up Ore Docks this summer.

Bell's is available in Escanaba and so is Short's (and Founder's)- but west of there it's hard to get. I've seen a few Short's beers in Marquette, but it's hit or miss.

I love the Vierling- one of our premium HBT members is the brewer there (and a friend of mine)- and Ore Dock was "ok" when I was there but I hear they are improving.

I rarely get to Marquette, and of course none of those brewpubs/micros bottle or distribute. When I go up there, I always take an empty growler with me! :D

The Church of Beer, because in my area of the U.P. we don't have ANY good beer. We don't get beers that are distributed outside of Wisconsin, but our distributors come from Wisconsin so we don't get Michigan breweries either- like Founders or even Bell's!

I fixed that for you. Most of the U.P. actually has pretty good distribution. ;)

For everyone out there, "Beer Church" is Ridgeview Liquor, 2265 True Lane in Green Bay. They don't have as large of a selection as Woodman's, but the quality of selection and especially service are MUCH higher. I make it a point to stop in every time I'm in GB.

When you leave the Madison Airport, stop at Ale Asylum, just past the first stop light turn left. If you have never been there before, they just moved in to their new building last fall. Great beer. Your wind pipe will be quite dry after that stuffy plane, need to wet your whistle!

I will second O'so Brewing in Stevens Point/Plover. The LHBS right next door is actually very fairly priced, and the giant row of taps at the taphouse is enough for anyone. A great stop right off Hwy 51.

When you leave the Madison Airport, stop at Ale Asylum, just past the first stop light turn left. If you have never been there before, they just moved in to their new building last fall. Great beer. Your wind pipe will be quite dry after that stuffy plane, need to wet your whistle!

Here, here! I second that. Ale Asylum is a great little brewery. I stopped there on my last trip to Janesville in March.

If you do go to Milwaukee, go to Lakefront Brewery. We went this past Friday. Great tour and beer. Make sure you have a DD. they encourage drinking on the tour. Cheers

image-3706483931.jpg

We fly first class, so my wind pipe will not be dry.....we do get in around 430 and maybe get an early dinner......but that may be too early for my mother. Anyone know about taking beer on the plane instead of shipping it?

We fly first class, so my wind pipe will not be dry.....we do get in around 430 and maybe get an early dinner......but that may be too early for my mother. Anyone know about taking beer on the plane instead of shipping it?

You can take as much beer in your checked baggage as you want.

Since you can't bring liquids in your carry-on (beyond 3 ounce little tubes of toothpaste and such), you just wrap them securely and put them in your checked bag.

Do you have that backwards? 41 is about 50 miles east of 51/39. If you want to hit Oso and Point you would need to take 51.

I'm going up the 41.never said anything about going up the 51 We are taking the 33 to the 68, to the 49, to the 151, to the 26, to the 41, then Lombardi Exit. Gotta love those country roads. A cow behind every barn.

If you are going to portage, you will end up going north on 51 at least for a little while. That would be the reason to divert up to Oso/Central Waters/Point breweries.

Also, I hate to break it to you but 51, 151, and 41 are all freeways, not country roads with cows behind every barn. 26, on the other hand... BTW watch out for the cop in Rosendale.

I'm going up the 41.never said anything about going up the 51 We are taking the 33 to the 68, to the 49, to the 151, to the 26, to the 41, then Lombardi Exit. Gotta love those country roads. A cow behind every barn.

Ah, well, nothing for breweries/beer on 41. It's just a plain old freeway.

If you are going to portage, you will end up going north on 51 at least for a little while. That would be the reason to divert up to Oso/Central Waters/Point breweries.

Also, I hate to break it to you but 51, 151, and 41 are all freeways, not country roads with cows behind every barn. 26, on the other hand... BTW watch out for the cop in Rosendale.

nope,,,,,you do not go up the 51 at all from Portage to Green Bay, unless you want to go a longer route...Scotty just go with the flow...a lot of our travels are country roads....33, 26, 32,the trip from Green Bay to Oconto County. FYI I was born in Green Bay and lived all over Wisconsin till 1977.
Sparta, Lacrosse so don't tell me I don't know country roads,hehe

I'll reiterate Ale Asylum. I recently heard that in Madison, their Hopalicious APA now outsells Spotted Cow. That's a big deal. Bedlam IPA is killer too, and it's only available during the summer.

Speaking of Hinterland, has anyone else had their white IPA? I had it last weekend and it was awesome!

Ridgeview Liquor is great - close to Lambeau as well. I can't leave that place without spending more than 50 bucks. Good selection of Belgian styled beers as well.

My family is from the Esky area (Bark River) and with Bells opening a brewery (from what I hear) in Esky - I'd expect the UP to get better distro on average.

I think I may have to pick up some of the Wisconsin Craft beers and have a "Beer Tasting" Party for all my BMC relatives, so they know what they are missing out on. So what are 10 or so beers I need to buy?

Did the stadium tour and hall of fame two weeks ago. Good stuff. Hopefully you took in some training camp also.

Went to Titletown Brewery, had the Honey Ale and Beelers brown.....it was ok beer. In my hometown(Portage) I was able to find some Founders Breakfast Stout.....now I have to wait till fall.

Back