I just mashed a paper bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I accidentally took brew-in-a-bag to a new level. I didn't realize that there was a brown paper bag in the crushed grains I got from the LHBS until I was stirring the mash after dough-in. I thought I got all of it out but I just finished the vorlauf and found myself still picking pieces out. What do you folks think? Ruined? Or new, dynamic flavor profile added?

i dont think a little bit of paper will harm it. you are going to have to incorporate the paper bag somehow into the name of your brew

I'll go for the "new, dynamic flavor profile added". I doubt it is ruined.

Let us know how it turns out !

Cheers !

Paper bags are excellent for head retention

This guy thought so...
lions-fan-fed-beer.jpg

Just remember when tasting, its not oxidation. Its actual cardboard!

Kidding aside i never got how people described oxidation as cardboard. Lickin cardboard ayy??

I hope it was an organic brown paper bag, because you never know what's in those non-organic bags...could be all sorts of mysterious things.

I couldn't help but laugh as I read this thinking Hmm, Ive had beer wrapped in a brown paper bag, but never a brown paper bag wrapped in a beer!

BTW I vote for "Old Bag Ale"

call it colt 54..........(don't want to infringe on a trademarked name :D)

Back