Does the mesh of a hop bag matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a difference in their hop extraction (IBU's, aroma, flavor) or residue (trub) from using different hops bags?

I have two different styles of hops bags -- one has a very fine, close mesh and is vinyl-type of material. The other appears to have less fine mesh and is closer to a cloth type of material. Don't know how I came into possession of two but I have noticed a little less predictability for my hops bitterness and aroma lately and that seems to track with the use of the bags.

I have these both, and have not noticed a difference.

I generally use the big tight-mesh one on my hop spider, and the smaller cloth-like ones for dry hopping.

I have a 5G paint strainer bag I use for the mash. the rest are muslin sacks in two sizes,depending on whether I'm using pellets (small hop sack) or whole leaf (muslin grain sacks). I've done both pellet & whole leaf loose in the boil & didn't detect much if any difference other than qualities of flavors between whole & pellet.

I use a Fine nylon bag... never have any issues with my plate chiller having hop matter in it. I actually circulate wort into the bag some during the boil. I've seen where where people mention a slight 10% loss of IBU's and doing the circulation seems to being back that loss. You have to watch the flow into the bag as it will begin to fill above the pot level if you go too fast.

Yeah,they say 10% loss,but I could never taste much if any difference...

If you're making something like a light ale, you're looking at 15-20 IBUs. With the mesh bag it'll end up like 13.5-18 IBUs.
Big, hoppy ale? Your 50 IBUs will be more like 45. IIPA? 90 IBU becomes 81.

As if anyone's gonna taste this.

"hey bill, I am detecting about 10% less bitterness in this ale you made. did you by chance use a fine-meshed bag for your hop additions" - is something nobody has ever said, ever.

Back