Commerical Kegerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsoxfan24

Reaction score
I just got the okay to purchase or build a kegerator from the wife. :ban: I've been thinking about buying the Haier BrewMaster, which was rated kegerators.com best kegerator. I want to be able to use 1/2 barrels and cornies. With the Haier at Menards for $499, I'll eventually upgrade it to a three tap system.

Has anyone had any experience with the Haier? Or other suggestions for me?

I don't have any kegging equipment at the moment and am still bottling.

I picked up mine at Costco a couple years back for $449. I had to take off the thermostat and turn a set screw to get it cold enough. Other than that, It's pretty good except the occasional defrosting of the cooling plate in the back of the unit and if I ever want to go 1/2 barrel again, I'm set to go.

Maybe it was borked, which could explain the $200 price tag you got it for.

Bought my Haier used and have been very happy with it.

My one complaint: the wheels are cheap--- don't hold up well to being pushed around with 15 gallons of beer in it. Then again-- I imagine that the designers never figured someone would load it up and push it around between a bunch of different parties at a hotel.

I think the price is just fine, but you're not exactly getting top quality faucets/reg as far as I can tell. I went the chest freezer route and I'm pretty darn happy with it. There are a lot of different models to choose from and they all have different internal dimensions which should solve whatever usage you intend. It will be a little more expensive but you get to choose your faucets, regulator, etc.

kornkob said:
Maybe it was borked, which could explain the $200 price tag you got it for.
Nope, it was just on clearance. It worked, it just never worked well until I fixed it up.
kornkob said:
My one complaint: the wheels are cheap--- don't hold up well to being pushed around with 15 gallons of beer in it.
Bobby_M said:
you're not exactly getting top quality faucets/reg

Further proving my point that it's a cheaply made kegerator...

I noticed the cheap faucet and regulator on the Haier. Both of which I would replace. As for the overall quality of the Haier, I've heard mixed review about the product. Most have been positive though.

I'm going to look a little more closely at the freezer opinion. I found a bunch pretty cheap on craigslist. And after modifying the freezer, the price will be cheaper overall than modifying the Haier.

But I don't want to think about it too long, I really am looking forward to drinking my homebrew out of a faucet. I'll let you know what I end up doing. I'm about 50/50 at the moment. Where before, I was leaning more toward the Haier.

kornkob,

Can you Haier fit 3 cornies and the CO2 tank? I was thinking of going the 3 faucet route. Bears rule!!! :)

I know this is late. But I'm going with the chest freezer and conversion. I perfer the customization opinions and the energy effeciency of the chest freezer.

wsoxfan24 said:
I know this is late. But I'm going with the chest freezer and conversion. I perfer the customization opinions and the energy effeciency of the chest freezer.

Can't go wrong with a chest freezer...although if you still want to use 1/2bbl kegs, you'd better be a power lifter or have a hauling system set up to lift a 160-pound keg into it. :eek: Other than that, you won't be disappointed. :)

I do have to say that I love being able to roll my kegerator over to a neighbor's place. Just this past weekend I took it over to a party the guy across the street was having so he could throw a keg of commercial beer in it for his party.

that's what i use jockey boxes for. i have a full size fridge as my kegerator (top freezer, bottom fridge portion can hold 6 soda kegs)

Cherry Picker.

I wouldn't even THINK of trying to do it manually.

I stand up the keg from the trunk of Freddie, the Mercury, strap thru the handles, and lift out of the car and into my frig. I can hold the strap/keg into the open fridge with one hand and lower the ram of cherry picker with the other.

But this IS in the hot rod shop.

Back