Did I ruin my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukeman9988

Reaction score
I recently started my first batch which is an English pale ale. After brewing and getting the correct SG I pitched yeast and fermentation started. The airlock was bubbling rapidly for two days and on the third day it stopped. I took a FG and it was within the accepted range. I think I rushed things and transferred into a secondary fermenter after only 3.5 days. Did u rush this and mess this batch up? Or should I be ok? I think I was just over excited since it was my first batch lol

So you're saying that you are worried because how your airlock is behaving, despite the fact that your gravity is fine???

Please read this, and relax. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/primary-fermentation-210755/#post2464002

But yeah in the future, leave you beer alone. Most of us no longer use a secondary and opt for month long primaries instead for most of our beers. It's actually now the recommmended way to do it.

I am sure it is fine. I have had batches ferment out in less time than that. I would just leave it in the secondary for a little while.

As Revvy stated, you'll be fine. In the future, leaving it in the primary for a week, or three, might not be a had idea. Just let it sit in the secondary for while, get ready to bottle it up, carb it up, and enjoy :):mug:

Yes you did...ok, that is my generic response whenever I hear that question...now I will actually read your post...

Ah, you will be fine. Here are some thoughts to ponder. You want to give the beer enough time on the yeast to clean up off flavors after fermentation is complete (if you give the yeast everything they need to be really healthy an ale will finish in 3-5 days) so I give my beers around 10+ days before kegging. Secondaries are are useful for bulk aging and that is about it, don't worry about them except for a select few styles otherwise all you accomplish in using them is oxygenating finished beer (bad) and reducing the amount of yeast available to clean up the off flavors (also bad). That said, you transferred the beer so quickly there is still a lot of yeast in suspension to do the finish work for you. Let the beer hang out in the secondary until the yeast falls clear and then bottle (use an online calculator to determine how much sugar to bottle with as the generic 3/4 cup your directions tell you often leads to poor results). Hope those thoughts help and assuage your concerns...welcome to the obsession, err hobby.

So you're saying that you are worried because how your airlock is behaving, despite the fact that your gravity is fine???

Please read this, and relax. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/primary-fermentation-210755/#post2464002

But yeah in the future, leave you beer alone. Most of us no longer use a secondary and opt for month long primaries instead for most of our beers. It's actually now the recommmended way to do it.

Revvy, I wasn't worried based on my airlock. I understand its purpose. I was worried that I transferred to early

Back