Cherry Wheat Primary Time Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a cherry wheat Saturday night and my OG was 1.041. I used Cooper's Ale yeast and Monday's SG is 1.008. That's just two days in primary. How long should I keep the beer in primary before racking to secondary before kegging?

I assume you mean FG was 1.008. I would say wait till FG was the same for 2-3 days. Did you get really high fermentation temperatures, or over-pitch? Are you planning on force-carbing via shaking or just leaving it on gas for 2wks? If you just leaving it on gas I would keg and skip secondary. That is unless you are adding cherries in the secondary.

Cherries were in primary. SG = standard gravity to me, so yes OG is 1.008. Temps were good, I pitched 1 15g package. I plan to shake carb too.

If its done give it 5-7 days in the secondary, the shake. If I was you I would just rack to the keg and leave it on gas for 2 wks allowing it to clear and carb at the same time. That is if it does not screw up your setup.

I'm going to do a secondary just because I don't want a lot of crap getting into the diptube in the corny.

Back