How does everybody cellar their 100% brett fermented beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
Should I secondary my 100 percent brett c. fermented beer just like I would with a normal ale, or would I get some beneficial flavor development by aging on the lees in the carboy?

Also, will I get significant flavor development if I rack a conventional ale onto these brett c. lees after I package up the 100 percent brett fermented ale? Or would the slurry be too large for aging a beer on?

I don't think Brett C eats long chain sugars slowly to superattenuate a beer and add complexity. I have a few different versions of Brett C beers aging for 8 months or so in carboys, which I'm thinking I shoul have just bottled after a month. There's no autolysis notes. One of them I added maltodextrin, which the Brett c didn't eat, and left the beer sweeter and thicker than I would have liked. The other Brett are better for longer term aging, and attenuation. Brett c is still awesome, but I would put it somewhere between saccharomyces and lactobacillus in it's fermenting properties. My next Brett c beer will be fast and furious, and bottled in 3 weeks or so. As a side note, I bottled a Brett lambicus + lacto at 1.008 after 3 weeks in carboy. After 5 weeks in the bottle it's still at 1.008, so no bottle bomb fears yet on that one either. I still don't know what causes Brett to long term superattenuate, but I'm starting to guess it has to do with enzymes produced by pediococcus.

but I'm starting to guess it has to do with enzymes produced by pediococcus.

I think you hit that on the head, although I also believe that brett in combination with any other bug will attenuate a bit more than brett on its own, most of all with pedio, then sacch

when you get a community of bugs working on a substrate (maltose etc) they can actually specialize in what they do, and may change their pattern of metabolism than if they were a pure culture, then doing this they and can work together to produce different compounds that will be utilized by the different bugs in a chain, which in the end helps all involved

I think you hit that on the head, although I also believe that brett in combination with any other bug will attenuate a bit more than brett on its own, most of all with pedio, then sacch

Brett eats a lot of the byproducts of pedio.

Back