Bought 4 kegs, need help with o-rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertvrabel

Reaction score
I just purchased 4 used kegs as they had a deal at my LHBS on them 4 for $80 :)

I've taken apart one of the corny kegs and I'm aware that I need to replace all the o-rings on them. I found the wiki that says these are the o-ring sizes on mcmaster.com https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/O-ring .

Question 1: Do I need to purchase all 4 different types of o-rings? I guess i'm confused what Weldless o-ring for 1/2" bulkhead is. Should I buy them on mcmaster, or just goto my LHBS and ask for all the o-rings I need?

Question 2: Do you normally cut 1/2 off the dip tube when you first get them, since it reached all the way to the bottom?

I went to my LHBS and said "I need the o-rings for a pin lock keg" he said "I'm not sure which one you need for the posts so here are both sizes, try the smaller ones first."

That was it, cost me like $5 or so and took about 5 minutes to change after getting my room mate to help remove the posts. (One of us to hold the keg, the other to turn the post.)

The o-rings for the diptubes were different, they were the same size but not as flat. I just made sure it was really tight when I put the posts back on and will pressure test it when I get a chance.

Did you lube the o-rings when you replaced them? Its a good idea to take a little off the dip tube.

I'd buy from McMaster and then have a lifetime supply of O-rings.

No tube snipping on mine, except for the 15 gallon one that I use to ferment in. If you cut the tube you will miss out on a bit of beer. If you cold crash prior to kegging you won't have much of a sediment issue on your early pours.

I haven't cut any of the tubes on my 13 kegs....they work fine. First pull gives you a glass full of sludge, everything's golden after that.

Back