Has anyone had no signs of carbonation after 7 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byrdbrewer

Reaction score
Title says it all - I bottled a sorghum beer, a recipe I have brewed several times before. usually after about a week I have good signs of carbonation, and its just a matter of giving it another week or two to really push teh co2 into the beer fo a good long lasting carbonation. This last batch I made, I just tried one after 8 days in the bottle and there is just the faintest sound of a hiss when opened. Has any one had a beer that showed no signs of carbonation after 7 days, and turned out fine? of should I open, dump into a bucket, pitch, and re-bottle?

6 lb sorghum syrup
1 lb rice syrup solids
SG 1.064 ish
FG 1.010
Safale US-05

Um....most of my beers (with the exception of wheats) don't have alot of carbonation after a week. Heck...some stouts have taken over a month. Relax and be patient.

Yup. Ive had some that are carbed in a week (let them sit two anyway) and some that are not. Its a bummer, but you just gotta do the basics, Make sure its carbing warm enough, and wait! Check at two weeks, you may have to wait three or four :mug:

Um....most of my beers (with the exception of wheats) don't have alot of carbonation after a week. Heck...some stouts have taken over a month. Relax and be patient.
ya that was my initial thought, but this recipe is very crisp and clear and usually has good signs of carbonation early, so I wasnt sure if maybe I fermented out my yeast, or if there is any types of contamination that could have killed my yeast, or if its just a unique batch and is on a slower carbonation pace. Im thinking because of the very faint hiss when I opened it, that you are right and it is just carbing slow, but man that hiss was so faint I couldnt tell if it was in my head lol.

Let her go...I have gotten mixed results. Some take a 1 week and they are pretty carbed and some take 3 weeks. I had one that didn't have nothing after a week but at 3 weeks it was nice.

My 12oz bottles of my recent Imperial stout took 6 weeks to fully carb (house temp was a little below 70F). They definately had no signs of carbonation after a week.

The larger bottles imperial stout are still carbing and its been 10 weeks.

I wouldn't even begin to worry until 3 weeks. Even if it has some carbonation after 1 week, it will be green tasting usually. 3 weeks in the bottle always tastes much better than 1-2. People who get brews faster are usually force carbing C02.

I had a batch I made up and there was no carb after 1 week. I waited 2 weeks and still nothing. I took some advice from another online brewer.
I chilled the bottles and then dropped in a couple of priming drops in each qt. bottle and one in the pint bottles. I let them reach room temperature and waited 1 week for a taste test. After 1 week there was some carbonation but not optimum. I waited 2 weeks and taste tested again. It was perfect.
Or I suppose, you could wait 4 weeks. I just didn't feel confident that it was progressing toward full carb. Also, same as you this was a batch (amber) that had been fine in the past. I wondered if there was enough yeast left in the beer to carb out the added sugar. I think the yeast has to start up again. At what point does the yeast go dormant?

I have this same issue now with a Scottish ale I brewed and is now just over 2 weeks in the bottle with very little carbonation. I cold crashed it to clear it up then let it come to room temp before adding priming sugar and bottling. Pretty sure the cold crash is the biggest cause for the slow carbonation. This is only my second brew so I guess you live and learn. I'll try it again after 2 more weeks. as a side note this beer has a pretty high ABV at 7.8%, not sure if that affects the yeast or not.

Back