Brass users?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknoty

Reaction score
i read palmers book and he talked about how to get rid of the lead in the yellow brass by using a sulution of peroxide and white vinigar. all my bulkheads that are on the bottom of the pots are teflonned and installed for leak testing. can i just uninstall them and dip the parts teflon and all in the fluid or does the mix eat the plumbers tape away?

I personally wouldn't worry about it at all...
To answer your question: Almost nothing eats teflon.... its basically as inert and indestructable as polymers get. It will be fine if you dip the whole assembly.

Listening to JP talk about Brass on a BrewStrong episode a little while back I wouldn't be worried even if you didn't pickle your brass. The % of lead in there, is very minute, and to think that your wort is only touching 1/10th of that. In a nutshell he said it really isn't necessary to pickle your brass.

Listening to JP talk about Brass on a BrewStrong episode a little while back I wouldn't be worried even if you didn't pickle your brass. The % of lead in there, is very minute, and to think that your wort is only touching 1/10th of that. In a nutshell he said it really isn't necessary to pickle your brass.

+10,000 Don't worry about it at all. Your tap water has run through lots of brass on it's way to your home. Any additional exposre in your kettle is negligible.

I'd worry more about the alcohol going through the liver than the lead from the brass :)
You could run the pickling solution through the fitting in the kettle if it bothers you.

Just my opinion.

the from lowes claimed to be lead free but i have been getting alot of stuff from other places too.

With all the childrens toys from China that have been recalled in the past few years for lead, I think the lead in our brass fittings are the least of our worries. ;)

can i just uninstall them and dip the parts teflon and all in the fluid or does the mix eat the plumbers tape away?

Too late. You already de-leaded them into your beer.
If you didn't notice any heavy metals poisoning it's because the amount is patently trivial. To trivial to bother about. And that's why you didn't do your self any harm.

Sort of like all the rest of the world using brass fixtures in their homes are not suffering from heavy metals poisoning.

....it's because the amount is patently trivial. To trivial to bother about. And that's why you didn't do your self any harm.

Sort of like all the rest of the world using brass fixtures in their homes are not suffering from heavy metals poisoning.

+1
plus ten characters

Latest posts

Back