U Brew type shop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InYerMouth

Reaction score
I am just trying to compile a thred on a thought process I have...I know all the negatives of trying to start sellin beer to local pubs and hassles, and equip issues and health codes and licenses and the list goes on!!!

What my idea is (and yes just an idea, def a long ways away) is to set up a homebrew shop that has (in a perfecet world) all the legitimate licenses to brew on premise...and allowing patrons to come in and brew, ferment and bottle on site. I am in a location now that has an awesome rotation rate for people who come in for anywhere between one week to 6 mos and everything in between. (Im talking thousands at any given time) It is a military base and when here for temporary schooling, all of them get extra money that is usually spent at the local bars and restaurants anyway. One issue I see is marketing, but with the right word of mouth and advertising, I dont see why some of these folks would not want to brew their own batch, bottle and take it home when they leave anyway. I could see it an opportunity for alot of people to do something unique that dont normally get involved in the hobby. Right now I am just throwing this out for general discussion, as I am still active duty myself and could by no means run an operation like this on my own...but just trying to get insight from others who may like to day dream a lil.....does anyone know of these shops and how much they charge per batch, are they succesful etc...

I am dabbling in business plans and all that junk because I may one day wind up doing this, just wondering about any success or horror stories, or just some insight..... Until then

RDWHAHB!!

i think it sounds like a cool idea. the only down side would be you having to charge so much for people to come brew there.

My LHBS does BOP, as well as has a full-service supply shop for ingredients, etc.

Pricey, but popular with 'special occasion' brewers.

I know it would prob be alot to offset costs, but I see it as a good foot in the door to eventually go bigger and better....plus if It can be done after military retirement...I will one at least one valid source of income on the down times....lol

Thanks for the BOP website!!

Back