Nelson Sauvin Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWalk

Reaction score
So I have 8 oz. of these New Zealand hops coming my way next week and was hoping to hear some ideas about what type of brew to use them in. I'm planning on throwing at least a half ounce into a Pale Ale I'll be brewing next week but would love to hear some suggested styles or maybe even a recipe or two utilizing them

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I'd like to throw a bunch in a pale. I'd probably go with that and maybe one other hop that would compliment it, but from the description, it looks like they'd stand pretty well on their own.

I was thinking of using it with some Fuggles but I'm not real sure. I may only use the Sauvin for the pale ale and see how it turns out. With 8 oz I'll have plenty left over to fool around with later on anyway. Perhaps a wacky stout of some sort.

I have been using these for a few years now. They really are still a hidden gem and it surprises me that they have not blown up more. I think half the problem is the bogus description that says they impart wine like characteristics that maybe turns people off.

I never did much experimentation with them, After i got my first pound of pellets and got a smell of them my mind instantly told me that these are the hop to use with IPA's & Pale ales and never wondered. They pack a lot of punch, you don't have to use a crap ton to get good results in the in the flavor and aroma department it always come through really good in the finished beer.

WHERE CAN ONE BUY THESE? I sent an e-mail to the NZ hops people asking if anyone in the States was selling them and got no reply.

I'm interested in the Riwaka and the Motueka variety. Where do I send my money?

I ordered some hops from CraftBrewer. Made a pale ale with Galaxy for bittering and Rakau for flavor/aroma. Tastes like mago/passionfruit. It's crazy.

Nelson Sauvin

I had this in a pale ale. It took some time getting used to for me. The distinctive grape flavor made it seem as if I was drinking that old drink "Champale." Brings me back to days in the service. Champale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

c31.jpg

How in the hell are you guys ordering these hops?

A fellow brewer here in town ordered close to 4 pounds of them and has been weighing them out for anyone looking for them. I can ask if he has any left.

Mine are going into a standard pale ale as well as a wacky stout I'm working on right now. Should be interesting to say the least.

Bring this thread back from the dead to see the updated opinion of people who had ordered these hops. I have a small amount on the way to try out so wanted to hear back from you folks who have tried them. Thought?

I have had Nelson's in a single hop IPA. They are very good with a very different flavor than any other hop I have ever had. The gooseberry flavors are produced and give a taste that is both good, and very unexpected. I drank half of the glass before I could wrap my head around the hop flavor I was tasting. It is just that different than what I am used to. I have to say I like them a lot. I will be brewing with some soon.

Ed

Thats a great hop. Never really tried it in a brew, but i have had the pleasure of tasting it in a commercial example. It was Brewdog IPA if i'm not mistaken.

I just brewed a single hop IPA with them, something like 4oz in the boil and 4oz dry hop (trying to emulate Nelson IPA from Alpine).

The result so far is outstanding. A very sweet mango/berry scent with a ton of the same for flavor plus a bit of resin and pineapple.

I really like this hop.

Also, Austin Homebrew and Brewmasters Warehouse have them I believe.

Reporting back on my early results. Made a basic APA, 1.052, 40.7 IBUs, 21 liter batch. Used 14 grams as First Wort hops, 14 grams at 30 min., then 21 grams each at 15 and 0 minutes. All Nelson Sauvin. For me, that's a pretty typical hop usage. And with this hop, it packed quite a strong punch, more than with other hops.

It's very, very pungent. Very strong character. It's great, though. LOVE it. It very much reminds me of some sort of American hop, with a lot of that American character but I can't say it reminds me of any one hop. It does have some of that cat piss (in a good way!) character. My wife says it reminds her of elder flowers. It definitely has some grapey notes in the flavor. It's also got a strong bittering. It's a little more on the harsh side like a lot of American hops. Now, I don't mean that as an insult at all. Some hops are too clean for bittering. This is not one of those.

For anyone who may be scared off by the Sauvignon Blanc notes online, ignore that. It tastes very much like hops! This is great for American styles. I think it would go amazingly well with Amarillo, which is what I think I'm going to do with them. Probably also go great with Chinook and Simcoe.

Highly recommended for people who like pungent American hops.

"...I think it would go amazingly well with Amarillo, which is what I think I'm going to do with them..."

I was given some advice from another brewer that it's also really good used as a 'booster' for other hops. I used sauvin:columbus 1:5 in an American Stout and it was amazing - it's kinda like adding salt to food.

"...I think it would go amazingly well with Amarillo, which is what I think I'm going to do with them..."

I was given some advice from another brewer that it's also really good used as a 'booster' for other hops. I used sauvin:columbus 1:5 in an American Stout and it was amazing - it's kinda like adding salt to food.

Yeah, sounds about right. I'm going to make an Imperial Amber and will be using Sorachi Ace for bittering, then Simcoe, Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin for aroma/flavor. Of those aroma additions, it'll be 1/4 Simcoe, 1/4 Nelson Sauvin and 1/2 Amarillo. I think that should work quite well. I love Columbus too though. Great hop!

Another bump on this bad-boy. I'm using this hop exclusively this Sunday. I got something nasty in store. Old world, meets new world meets New Zealand, meets Chardonnay, ***** slaps Champagne, makes men grin, and women drop undies.

That's if all goes as planned.:cross:

i'll be brewing a Widmer Brewing Drifter Pale Ale Clone...Nelson Sauvin is the key hop that gives it its magical, guava-like quality when paired with Summit hops.

Here's a description on the Widmer site about Drifter Pale Ale.

Here's some ideas on clone recipes.

Hey, I'm going to brew a Nelson Sauvin IPA this afternoon. I'm not sure if I should use only Nelson hops or throw in some Cascade too? What do you guys think, can it stand on its own?

Latest posts

Back