Chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born Brewing Co.

Reaction score
I am in the beginning stages of planning a chest freezer kegerator. I converted an upright fridge a few years ago, but have a question about chest freezers. I know the walls of chest freezers have freon lines, but do the tops? I'm guessing that they don't, as all I have seen are plastic hinges holding the tops on.

I am assuming the tops of chest freezers are just sheet metal, foam, and plastic and I should be safe to drill anywhere on top for the tower installation.

Thanks Guys!

You would be correct. No refrigerant lines in the lid of a chest freezer, just a metal outer skin, an plastic inner liner with some type of foam insulation sandwiched in between.

John

Most examples I've seen of people who converted Chest freezers added collars to them and ran taps throught there. I guess alot of chest freezers aren't tall enough for the kegs and hoses to all fit in well.

Latest posts

Back