How close to soil for twine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerhertz

Reaction score
I have 3 rhizomes in 20" planters, all in their first year. My cascades just sprouted. One of them is about 5 inches high, the other just broke dirt. I inserted wooden stakes into the pots and drilled a hole near the top to run twine from the soil to eye-hook anchors at the top of my balcony.

How close does the twine have to be to the soil for the bines to reach and start training? Right now my twine runs about 12" above the center of the pot. Is this close enough? My aggressive cascade doesn't seem to have grown much in the past week, although it's been quite rainy and overcast. I'm wondering if maybe it has nothing to grab onto, so it's not getting any vertical...

In cloudy, overcast days the plants will still wrap themselves but definitely not as vigorously as they do on the warmest, sunny days. It sounds like you have done just fine and just need to wait for the explosion of growth that occurs when the clouds break.

The commercial hop growers bury the twine in the soil next to the rhizome. I use small plastic tent stakes.

I use jute rope and tie it to re-bar that I pound into the ground then up to the eye hook on the back of the house (wifes idea)

I let them run on the ground for a while and then train them, seems easier to me that way.

Full Southern exposure.

A few more months and they'll look like this

2008cascade2.jpg

That distance will be no problem.
I put in steaks that are next to each hill. The plant might have to grow at least 18" before I start to train it.
My Chinooks were pushing 4ft long before I trained them up twine(been too busy).
You're good to go!

I use jute rope and tie it to re-bar that I pound into the ground then up to the eye hook on the back of the house (wifes idea)

How did you afix the eye hooks to the house? I plan on something similar with eye bolts, and planned on attaching them to the underside of the overhang - which looks like what you did. I keep coming back to the issue of not knowing where a "stud" or something solid under the overhang paneling is in order to sink the eye bolts.

Don't depend on the bines to find the twine. Once they get 2-3 feet long wrap them around it.

DSC00849.JPG

this is how I trained mine. It has only been ten days and the plant has now wrapped around the rope five times and is twice as tall. It seems as if they are growing faster now that they have rope to climb

Back