Keg info please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onedon

Reaction score
I happened onto a keg that someone was throwing away, and had some questions. Its a Spartanburg 7.75gal. keg. Is it worth using? Do you have it cleaned? Does it need to be full, or could I fill it with 5gal. of home brew?

Onedon said:
I happened onto a keg that someone was throwing away, and had some questions. Its a Spartanburg 7.75gal. keg. Is it worth using? Do you have it cleaned? Does it need to be full, or could I fill it with 5gal. of home brew?

It would be hard to fill it with homebrew, but you could cut the top out and make it a brew pot, HLT, or even a mashtun....

That thing sounds like complete junk, you should ship it to me immediately. ;-)

Sounds like you might have a nice new brew kettle if you cut the top off.

before you go cutting the top off make sure you read up on it so you dont turn that thing into a bomb (no joke) make sure you remove the tap system so that the pressure inside = pressure outside of the keg (just search, i know i found the info here a while ago)
also, check to see if its got a wooden bung in the side of it....if so you can rule that keg out as a brew pot (IMHO)

Back