Electrical Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppylikerabbits

Reaction score
So the other day I had my Central Air unit replaced and what do you know.. there happened to be a 220v Motor in the fan.. So i took it out.. now here's the delema..
I'm able to get the motor to run on 110v using the black and white wire. However it seems a bit slow.. 1075rpm @ 20% (hoping that is correct). How would i wire this up to actual 220v (dryer outlet) or would this be alright as it sits to run my mill? here is the attached wiring diagram. I'm able to work with 110v all day every day but i cant grasp the 220v. Unless it would be the same connection to 220v.....
I also know i can put a SPDT switch in-between the yellow and purple wires for CCW and CW rotation.

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

One leg of the 230 goes to COM, the other leg goes to HI (1075 RPM is the HI speed) no neutral connection, ground to GRN/YEL. I wouldn't run very long on 120V except for a quick test. The switch you need for reversing is a DPDT. The motor probably could be wired to a 240V, 4-Wire dryer outlet but I think they are usually 30A, so lower amperage protection between the outlet & motor would probably be advised, but I don't know the code - maybe an electrician will chime in here.....

One leg of the 230 goes to COM, the other leg goes to HI (1075 RPM is the HI speed) no neutral connection, ground to GRN/YEL. I wouldn't run very long on 120V except for a quick test. The switch you need for reversing is a DPDT. The motor probably could be wired to a 240V, 4-Wire dryer outlet but I think they are usually 30A, so lower amperage protection between the outlet & motor would probably be advised, but I don't know the code - maybe an electrician will chime in here.....

Excellent answer!

Maybe SP4T for the speed, to also include OFF.

Back