Christmas Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Looking for your help and suggestion with this years Christmas Ale.

Here is what I have so far.

St. Nick's Winter Warmer Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.50
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.06
Anticipated SRM: 11.1
Anticipated IBU: 49.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
88.9 12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
7.4 1.00 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
3.7 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 44.5 90 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 2.9 15 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 1.8 1 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.03 0.0 Dry Hop

1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon 1 min
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger 1 min
1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg 1 min
1/8 tsp Ground Allspice 1 min

Mash Temp
-----
152 degrees

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 American Ale/Chico

Or

WYeast 1028 London Ale

Thanks for your input

CHEERS:mug:

I made something a little similar...preferred mine to be a little maltier, so subbed out the 2-row with Maris Otter, and threw in a little Munich.

Winter beers I buy seem to have a certain spice to them I cant put my finger on. What is it? Also my local home brew shop gave me hops to put in my brown nut ale after like two weeks. I only have a primary so should I just add them directly to the primary in two weeks?

Winter beers I buy seem to have a certain spice to them I cant put my finger on. What is it? Also my local home brew shop gave me hops to put in my brown nut ale after like two weeks. I only have a primary so should I just add them directly to the primary in two weeks?

From what I have read the four spice combo that I am planning on using seem to be pretty common in winter brews.

As for adding hops to the primary, I would say without any other option go for it. I would just make sure you are done bubbling or will use most of that awesome aroma you are looking for.

Good luck

last 5-10 mins of the boil.

Agreed!

This is on the line up for this week. I'm planning to brew this Thursday and Than next week I will be brewing Biermuncher's Centennial Blond which I will be pitching on top the happy Wyeast 1056 yeast from my holiday batch.

Agreed!

This is on the line up for this week. I'm planning to brew this Thursday and Than next week I will be brewing Biermuncher's Centennial Blond which I will be pitching on top the happy Wyeast 1056 yeast from my holiday batch.

i think you may get some unwanted or carry over flavors from the holiday beer if you are pitching onto the cake going to such a light beer.

i think you may get some unwanted or carry over flavors from the holiday beer if you are pitching onto the cake going to such a light beer.

Good point!

Maybe I'll do a quick yeast wash then reuse them following day after I hit it with a quick starter overnight.

I'm brewing this tomorrow.

We are boiling :)

I'm planning on only adding cinnamon and nutmeg to the boil. I will add allspice to the secondary to have a better control over the spiciness of the final product.

Back