dangit! Serious suckback...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
so i was racking my recently brewed porter into the secondary with some diced up vanilla beans and makers mark, and i open the spigot on my primary (ale pail), and start draining away, then i realize that i never took the blow off tube out of the water, so i think sucked a few cups of water from the blow-off into the brew.

Hopefully it will turn out alright, hydrometer sample tasted fantastic!

I don't use a blowoff, so I am not sure. But, from what I have read and been told, the stuff from blowoff and what gathers around the edges produces some really significant off flavors. That being said, it leads me to believe those flavors would appear instantly...so if the sample tasted great, you are good. Who knows, even if it did take on some blow off, you must might have created the next big thing! Keep us posted!

BTW, where is grayson? Im in Newnan, and only been here a year. Transplant from TX, so I don't really know my way around.

Since your blowoff likely contained wort, you might have a problem there. Good luck!

In the future, consider putting a little StarSan in the blowoff container. I always put a bit in my blowoff setup and airlocks, just for this reason. Starsan will not hurt your brew if it gets sucked in.

Oh yea.... RDWHAHB

Grayson is about 20 min east of stone mountain park. My sister lives down in near Newnan, in Tyrone.

The blowoff never actually accumulated any wort. It was more of a precaution since this was my first porter, and i'd seen some references to their having very ferocious fermentations. mine just bubbled like crazy, but never had any actual blow off.

we'll see what happens.

Back