My major score today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
Today, while passing by a bar, that is now closed, that is owned by a friend of my family, I noticed a 20 lb CO2 tank outside of the building. I stopped to talk to the owner to see if I could purchase it from him. Once we got to talking, he told me he had 3 tanks (1 full, 1 half full, one empty) and 2 Sanke kegs. I told him I was willing to buy them all. He refused to take payment and GAVE it all to me. He said my father had done some work for him, for free, years ago.

Now I am well on my way to kegging. I just need a second hand chest freezer and some corny kegs.

One of the kegs is black plastic. Is there any other use for this thing except as a keg?

With a little work you could make it a fermenter. If you search you can probably find step by step directions.

Good score!

Wow thats awesome! You could sell 2 of those 20lbers and be on your way to kegging....

Sorry I don't have any advise about the plastic keg..

Is the "black plastic" keg really completely plastic or does it just have a rubberized coating.

If the latter, then you could (very labor intensively) remove the coating OR you could convert it to an electric Liquor Tun.Ther are lots of threads on here about adding a heating element to a keg.

As for the bottles of gas. I'd keep them all (read stingy bastid) I have 2 20lb tanks that I switch between and frequently I wish I had a 3rd for parties.

I have one of those rubber covered kegs and plan to ferment in it some day since if I tore off the covering it wouldn't have a skirt anymore.

I have one of those rubber covered kegs and plan to ferment in it some day since if I tore off the covering it wouldn't have a skirt anymore.

Interesting to note.

admittedly, I have only seen one of the rubberized kegs. After scraping around on it with a pocket knife it was determined that it was a regular sanke keg with rubberized coating on the top and bottom skirts. YRMV.

This is the first time I have seen a keg like this. I guess it is just a coating but it looks practically brand new, so I do not want to go cutting on it.

I also just talked to a another friend and might have a line on 5-6 pin lock cornys for free.

Now I just need the brewing gods to line me up with a used chest freezer.

Latest posts

Back