Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh pitch, haven't got into reusing yet. I always use uso5 for everything but it only happens in this. Wasn't sure if it was a blond thing. Comes out tasting great though. I usually wait 2 weeks then just keg it no matter what it's done.

I used 1056 and had nothing like that. I did have a sulfur smell for a few days about 1 week in that I had never had before with American Ale yeast though which went away a few days later.

With 1056 this actually came out to the clearest beer I've ever made, could see all the way to the bottom of the bucket and the trub layer from looking down in. I did use gelatin and cold crashed for 5 days though. Pics will come when I crack the first one.

Got this in the Grainfather now. Cheap grain bill and smells awesome! Can't wait to try it! Thanks

Fresh pitch, haven't got into reusing yet. I always use uso5 for everything but it only happens in this. Wasn't sure if it was a blond thing. Comes out tasting great though. I usually wait 2 weeks then just keg it no matter what it's done.

This always happens to me when I use 05 - no matter the beer type. Cold crashing will get rid of it quick.

How well bodied is this blonde? I'm looking for something along this line....but want something with some good mouthfeel and a good bit of creaminess to it. I was thinking the carapils and vienna would provide that. I've read through a lot of this, but can't really read all 500 pages.

How well bodied is this blonde? I'm looking for something along this line....but want something with some good mouthfeel and a good bit of creaminess to it. I was thinking the carapils and vienna would provide that. I've read through a lot of this, but can't really read all 500 pages.

It has good body, but if you want a bit more, replace a pound of 2-row with additional Vienna.

;)

Mine always finishes at 1.007 so I've been trying to mash higher to get the FG higher.

Regardless I love it. It is creamy but malty as well...a malt bomb.

Where do you recommend mashing for best creaminess?

I'm not sure for your system. For mine each time I do a batch I'm mashing a degree higher to see if I can get a higher FG. Probably around 154 or even higher.

This was a 10 gallon batch that I made. 5 in a glass carboy and 5 in a bucket. The picture was from the bucket which I kegged tonight after 9 days.(usually wait 2 weeks for this one but had empty kegs) took a gravity reading and it went from about 1.04ish to 1.01 or underish. It tastes good so I am not bothered by it but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about why this beer does it.
In my experience, US-05 takes longer than 9 days to drop. I've been leaving my beers 3 weeks with this yeast. Haven't made this beer yet though.

I've also been leaving mine with the S-05 for three weeks then kegging, usually between .006-.008, I cold crash the last couple days and its almost crystal clear after a couple days even without geletin.

A month in the keg, fined with gelatin.

Gravity raised mildly to 1.50 and fermented with Yeast Bay Vermont Ale

5Dc8LHS.jpg

So I brewed this 4 weeks ago this Saturday (bottled it 12 days ago) and had to cheat last night and try my first bottle. This was my first ever brew and I'm really happy with the flavor and understand in a week or so it will be even better.

The only thing I'm unhappy with is the clarity & carb level. Will either of those 2 things get better with time?

We've also since brewed another batch of this because it was simple and I wanted to try to get good at this one before we move on to a new recipe. I expected that the clarity would be a bit of an issue so this time I put a pinch of Irish Moss in the boil with 15 minutes left. We also used a paint strainer when transferring the wort into the fermenter to catch any hop residue or whatever that doesn't need to be in there.

Any other tricks to get a bit more clarity? I'm not interested in using a secondary so I believe gelatin isn't an option (am I right?) and unfortunately I don't have a reliable way to cold crash yet.

Thanks! Brew on! :mug:

So I brewed this 4 weeks ago this Saturday (bottled it 12 days ago) and had to cheat last night and try my first bottle. This was my first ever brew and I'm really happy with the flavor and understand in a week or so it will be even better.

The only thing I'm unhappy with is the clarity & carb level. Will either of those 2 things get better with time?

We've also since brewed another batch of this because it was simple and I wanted to try to get good at this one before we move on to a new recipe. I expected that the clarity would be a bit of an issue so this time I put a pinch of Irish Moss in the boil with 15 minutes left. We also used a paint strainer when transferring the wort into the fermenter to catch any hop residue or whatever that doesn't need to be in there.

Any other tricks to get a bit more clarity? I'm not interested in using a secondary so I believe gelatin isn't an option (am I right?) and unfortunately I don't have a reliable way to cold crash yet.

Cold crashing is over rated.

If you just bottled it 12 days ago and you aren't happy with the carbonation level then my guess is that the yeast is still suspended eating the sugar that you put in to carb it. On top of that...if that is the case, then that will also make the beer not as clear.

Give it another few days or a week. Then put it in the fridge to 'cold crash' for at least a day or two.

It should clear up nicely.

I bottled this 16 days ago and had one yesterday. Mine was not fully carbed either and had no head at all for more than 3 seconds. I did cold crash and gelatin for 5 days though. It is however, the clearest beer I have ever made so I would give it time and let it sit in the fridge for a week to clear when it's properly carbed before drinking.

It was delicious though!

I go on the high-ish end of carbonation for this beer. 2.7-2.8 volumes of CO².

Also, if you use one of the high-flocculating yeasts (like Notty) then yeah, it'll clear nicely in the bottle, and you don't have to worry about leaving 1/4" of beer in the bottle. It sticks like glue to the bottom, with a gentle pour (no glugs).

I go on the high-ish end of carbonation for this beer. 2.7-2.8 volumes of CO².

Also, if you use one of the high-flocculating yeasts (like Notty) then yeah, it'll clear nicely in the bottle, and you don't have to worry about leaving 1/4" of beer in the bottle. It sticks like glue to the bottom, with a gentle pour (no glugs).

I should mention that I used Wyeast 1056. What's the general thought on that one in terms of clarity.

Guys. I am about to make this as my first AG. Do I sprinkle the yeast ( using Nottingham) on top, or do I rehydrate it first?

Thanks.

Nathan

Guys. I am about to make this as my first AG. Do I sprinkle the yeast ( using Nottingham) on top, or do I rehydrate it first?

Thanks.

Nathan

I'm about to brew a cream ale with some danstar yeast and I am going to rehydrate because their directions say so. I don't if I'm using safale.

I plan to just put bottled water into a sanitized glass at room temp (64F).

It's really easy to rehydrate the yeast.
Boil the kettle why you start your wort boil.
Pour the boiling water into a bowl
Cover it with glad-wrap
Sprinkle in the yeast when the water gets to 30c/90f°(ish) or as the packet advises.
Recover the bowl.
It's really easy, there's no reason not to. Sterilise your thermometer in the boiling wort pot before you check it.
It doesn't add any time to the brewday.[/QUOTE

Thanks lads.

Job done! yeast in the water and the wort @68 f. About to pitch it. OG is slightly lower than it should be at 1.036. I don't know why it was a touch low? I hit my temps and volumes. This is my first AG and second ever brew............we will see. Bloody enjoyed the whole process
tho. :)

Cooked this up again yesterday. Added 1 lb. of two row for an OG of 1.046. I had a package of Notty that had expired in september 05 but had been kept in the fridge since I've had it. This is one of the few times that I've ever rehydrated the dry yeast. Seemed to take off so I pitched it at 64F. We'll see in a couple of more hours.

Meh, no biggie. You just have to calculate your efficiency now. I added a pound of light DME the day after to up the ABV a bit.
Next time, up your fermentables by 10-15%.

Disclaimer: I'm three time as experienced as you so you should take that into account when considering my advice :)

??? What ???

I added a pound to up it a bit but keep it in a balanced ratio with the hops and ABV. Beersmith said it would be 1046 and it was.

Oh, and the notty did take off quite well yesterday.

I have made this several times. Just went to a slightly maltier shot at it.

Mine always finishes at 1.007 so I've been trying to mash higher to get the FG higher.

Regardless I love it. It is creamy but malty as well...a malt bomb.

I completely disagree with calling it a "malt bomb".

It's very light a hint of sweetness with very little hop or malt character standing out.

Most likely if you enjoy a malty beer you will not be fond of this as it stands. I usually add a extra pound of 2 row or Vienna and a bit of biscuit malt.

It's very light a hint of sweetness with very little hop or malt character standing out.

Most likely if you enjoy a malty beer you will not be fond of this as it stands. I usually add a extra pound of 2 row or Vienna and a bit of biscuit malt.

This is the absolute best thing of home brewing your own beer. You can tweak it and make it your own and make it exactly how you like it!

I use mostly American Ale yeast and this could be why.

It smells like a light beer but tastes very malty and is very dry to me.

When I gave my buddy a glass full he said it tastes like cereal.

I also do BIAB so maybe that brings more malt flavor as well. My efficiency is also 80% almost always. For this brew anyway.

I use mostly American Ale yeast and this could be why.

It smells like a light beer but tastes very malty and is very dry to me.

When I gave my buddy a glass full he said it tastes like cereal.

I also do BIAB so maybe that brings more malt flavor as well. My efficiency is also 80% almost always. For this brew anyway.

Could be, maybe your 2 row is different as well. We get specifically Canadian 2 row. During the mash I get an oatmeal or hot cereal type smell but it doesn't normally come through in the end product.

Almost three weeks bottled and perfect carbonation. This is a fantastic beer!

Brewed as is on the recipe except with 1056 Ale Yeast. 5 day cold crash with gelatin added day 2 of crash.

Ha....well I screwed up my LHBS order online this morning, and I ordered Munich rather than Vienna. Not only that....but I intentionally upped the amount by 0.5LB (substituting for 2 row).

Any idea how much this will change the final outcome? It's already boiling now, and I'm sure it will be a fine beer.

Ha....well I screwed up my LHBS order online this morning, and I ordered Munich rather than Vienna. Not only that....but I intentionally upped the amount by 0.5LB (substituting for 2 row).

Any idea how much this will change the final outcome? It's already boiling now, and I'm sure it will be a fine beer.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong since I am just starting to get the hang of this but....

I believe Vienna and Munich malts are the same until the last step during the kilning process. Munich is a little more malty tasting due to it being a darker kiln, which is also going to make your color a little darker with the increased 0.5 lb as well.

Which Lovibond Munich did you get, light or dark?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong since I am just starting to get the hang of this but....

I believe Vienna and Munich malts are the same until the last step during the kilning process. Munich is a little more malty tasting due to it being a darker kiln, which is also going to make your color a little darker with the increased 0.5 lb as well.

Which Lovibond Munich did you get, light or dark?
Light...I also decided I'd take the extra 1/2 oz of each hops and do a 20 min hopstand. Figured the recipe was already off, let's see what happens.

OG came in at roughly 1.040...Natty pitched at 65F. Sitting in a low 60s basement.

Light...I also decided I'd take the extra 1/2 oz of each hops and do a 20 min hopstand. Figured the recipe was already off, let's see what happens.

OG came in at roughly 1.040...Natty pitched at 65F. Sitting in a low 60s basement.

You pitched some Natty Light?? :D

Made a variation using centennial for bitterness and citra for flavor/aroma.

It was 4 yesterday. The water bib was frozen, so I had no choice but to do a no chill. 11 gal from boil to pitching temp took a long time!

The temp dropped below 200 pretty quickly so I took advantage of the opportunity with a hop stand. About an hour later, it was at 150 so I pumped into the fermenters and moved them to the driveway so the wind would knock the temp down.

Once it dropped to 68, pitched US05. Ended at 1.048, should be fantastic in a couple of weeks!

Hey All,

Wondering if anyone can tell me why my beer has a slight feeling of what I can only describe as hot alcohol? This was my first ever brew so I'm sure there are too many factors to go over. Is there something more common than others?

Hey All,

Wondering if anyone can tell me why my beer has a slight feeling of what I can only describe as hot alcohol? This was my first ever brew so I'm sure there are too many factors to go over. Is there something more common than others?

Worst case scenario is that it's fusel alcohol. You'll know it for a fact if drinking a significant amout gives you a headache in short order. Those flavors will generally not fade with time, unfortunately.

Most likely culprit is fermenting too warm. What beer/yeast was it and how warm was your ambient temp?

Another possibility is you didn't pitch enough healthy yeast, and it produced the fusels out of stress.

Final possibility is that the beer is simply young/green, and the other flavors haven't come forward or blended with the alcohol flavors. That's not fusel, and if it's the case it WILL improve with time.

Kind of depends on your circumstances. You'd have to post more details for anyone to narrow it down.

Back