Mistakes. Read one, leave one.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottling up a batch. Got it all capped and put away, came back to do clean up, Hmmm whats this liquid on the stove, yep didn't add the priming sugar.

My first time using my DIY hop spider, I wanted to weigh the bag down to make sure the hops were fully immersed. I had trouble finding something stainless and heavy enough and ultimately used a gas post from my keg. Guess what got thrown away with the hop gunk...

I've been kegging for years and brewing a holiday ale. So many people wanted to try it I decided to bottle. Everything was going great until I realized I needed more caps. Put the bottling cane in an empty pint and proceeded to the garage to find more caps. After a little while I returned to the kitchen and about a gallon and a half on the floor. It turns out the little spring inside the bottling cane couldn't withstand the weight of the beer in it. Dogs loved it though.

Brewed a 4.5L starter for an Oktoberfest lager, forgot to account for the size of the starter in the batch volume. Carboy is filled to the curve, krausen is currently threatening the airlock.

Brewed a 4.5L starter for an Oktoberfest lager, forgot to account for the size of the starter in the batch volume. Carboy is filled to the curve, krausen is currently threatening the airlock.

Fermcap to the rescue!

It's day 3, the krausen doesn't seem to be rising any further, it's a lager at 45° F so I don't expect a vigorous fermentation anyway... I'm gonna risk it and let it ride. :) The StarSan in the airlock is foaming out the little holes in the lid like crazy.

Bottling up a batch. Got it all capped and put away, came back to do clean up, Hmmm whats this liquid on the stove, yep didn't add the priming sugar.

Not sure if that's better or worse than me bottling the next batch of beer two weeks later and halfway through realizing something seemed different: I didn't do priming on the first batch (which had been conditioning for 2 weeks already).

Mixed up a cream ale and a blonde because they weren't labeled. The cream ale got the fruit and the blonde (boiled with rose hips) didn't. Two weird beers.

Also, recently racked a IIPA before its time and dry hopped. I'm usually super anal about checking gravities and temps and all that, but it's back to krausen after adding the hops, and not just CO2 coming out of solution either. Pretty unusual for me.

Checking gravity in my basement(which is damp as hell). Infected all three batches, mold not bacteria or wild yeast. Three batches dumped lesson learned.

I was racking into my bottling bucket and didn't notice the spigot was open until I saw Breakfast Stout flowing out of it all over the kitchen floor. I always double check it now.

When I first started using a wort chiller I left the tube on the end loose in a bucket. I turned the water on and it started flopping around like a fire hose, so I went to catch it and ended up with some weird looking burns on my arms.

I passed out after the bittering addition on version 2 of my Hopped & Confused hybrid lager somewhere around 3:50pm on Fat Tuesday. About 5:3Xpm,I awoke & finished the brew,being a partial mash/partial boil biab. Here it is today;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PICT0004-3_zps96125983.jpg.html] [/URL]
Had a thick,pillowy head right to the bottom of the glass. Carbonation was good too,as can be seen if you look close. It's a 5MP camera,but doesn't do close ups real well. Last night,even the top of the lacing was over 1/4" thick. Nice spicy crispness from the WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast & German & Czech hops. Not bad for an oopsie...:ban:

Before I picked up an autosiphon, I was trying to get my siphon going to transfer to the bottling bucket. I used water to start it but it didn't work so I ended up sucking to start the suction. I wasn't paying attention and got a mouthful of beer, I panicked and spat into the bottling bucket. Rather than toss the whole batch, I just went on ahead. Beer was good. I called it Beer mit Spucken (Beer with Spit).

Just got home from a long horrible day at work only to discover that one of my keezer taps sprang a leak. There was hard cider everywhere. All over the top of the bar, underneath it, inside the freezer box and coffin box, all over the floor in two different rooms... Everything is a sticky mess, and now I'm out ~4 gallons of delicious cider. I just want to cry. Oh well, guess I'd better start the disaster cleanup....

Using the same amount of priming sugar in smaller session beers (under 1.040) you would in a normal batch. About my 5th beer I made a English Mild Brown that tasted like brown seltzer water. Lesson? Lower Gravity, Lower Carbonation = tasty session beer.

Didn't take FG before priming and bottling my first Saison. I remembered just in time to have just enough left in the bottling bucket to measure.... 1.040!!! Luckily no bombs, but I did condition them in ice coolers just in case they blew.

you bottled at 1.040 and the bottles didn't explode?

My brain fart: Bottling 10 gal using one bottling bucket, pulled the wand off didn't shut spigot, and proceeded to rack the second half of batch on the priming sugar... wasn't paying attention till my socks got wet, I lost about 1-1/2 gal. I tasted it off the floor ( I know I know ) wasn't sweet at all. So I ended up with 3-1/2 gal of beer primed at 2.7vol for 5gals so far I've lost 7 in my large Rubbermaid container it's an amazing sound when they go off!!!!

My brain fart: Bottling 10 gal using one bottling bucket, pulled the wand off and proceeded to rack the second half of batch on the priming sugar... wasn't paying attention till my socks got wet, I lost about 1-1/2 gal. I tasted it off the floor ( I know I know ) wasn't sweet at all. So I ended up with 3-1/2 gal of beer primed at 2.7vol for 5gals so far I've lost 7 in my large Rubbermaid container it's an amazing sound when they go off!!!!

You are eatin' a beer s@#t sandwich there bro. Sounds maddening.

Cooled my brew to pitching temp outside in the snow. Got cold really quick but unfortunately let all sorts o bacterial low life's into my yeasties gated beach community :p had I dump the whole thing, was undrinkable :p

I made a blackberry extract, for using in a flavored beer recipe, by stuffing an empty Corona Extra bottle full of blackberries and topping it off with vodka. The advice I got (on HBT) for making extracts said to shake well multiple times a day for the first week or so. In hindsight, I can see this was to ensure alcohol from the vodka kills any chance for infections. Well.... One day, right as my dinner guest were parking outside and I was busy straightening up my brew room to show off my stuff, I noticed the blackberry extract bottle had slowly leaked and made a sticky mess. Puzzled, I decided I'd pop the top and recap it. BANG! Worst of all, my brew room = laundry room, and there was four loads of clean laundry waiting to be folded. Instant drying blackberry stains in every corner of the room.

IMG_20130417_210915_031.jpg

The first time I used an immersion chiller. I hooked up one end of the hose to my bathroom sink, the copper coil in the brew pot sitting on my toilet and the outlet hose laying in the bathtub. Well I thought when I turned the water on the outlet would just lay in the tub and drain nice and easy. What actually happened was the pressure was way higher than I thought it would be and the outlet hose started whipping around like one of those dancing blown air things at a car dealership and spraying me and my entire bathroom with near boiling water. I wish I would have been taking videos for the lulz.

woknblues said:
You are eatin' a beer s@#t sandwich there bro. Sounds maddening.

For sure.....only good out if it, it's less than half the batch....

On my recent first hop boil, I put 1/2oz of pellets into a 2" tea ball. Very little exposure to the wort, very dense stuff to scrape out of tea ball.

On my recent first hop boil, I put 1/2oz of pellets into a 2" tea ball. Very little exposure to the wort, very dense stuff to scrape out of tea ball.

I tried to dry hop in a tea ball and ran into the same problem as you. Those hops can really expand and then become compacted. No wonder the beer didn't turn out well. I dry hop in muslin bags now :)

Just got home from a long horrible day at work only to discover that one of my keezer taps sprang a leak. There was hard cider everywhere. All over the top of the bar, underneath it, inside the freezer box and coffin box, all over the floor in two different rooms... Everything is a sticky mess, and now I'm out ~4 gallons of delicious cider. I just want to cry. Oh well, guess I'd better start the disaster cleanup....

After several hours of cleaning, I tore apart my keezer to look for the source of the leak. Couldn't find anything at all. Then after I put it back together, my brew-cat jumped up on top of the coffin box and started playing with the tap handles.

I'd better go dig a hole in the back yard to bury the little SOB...

hunter_la5 said:
After several hours of cleaning, I tore apart my keezer to look for the source of the leak. Couldn't find anything at all. Then after I put it back together, my brew-cat jumped up on top of the coffin box and started playing with the tap handles.

He just loves the product you made! Is that so wrong?? Lol

He keeps rats away from your grain. Keep him around.

After repeatedly failing to close the spigot after iodine washing, I told myself I wasn't going to do that again.,I was fine until the liquid level of the ferementer came up to the level of the valve, and I soon stepped into a puddle... Better luck next time.

I constructed my new bottling bucket and was just having a blast bottling. I had so much fun that I inadvertently bottled a small batch that was *way* too early. It was at FG but had buttloads of suspended yeast and hops. Nearly 1/2" of trub and hop gunk at the bottom of each bottle, bitterness that would make your lips pucker so bad that you'd swallow your face.

After 2 months of trying to age that swill into submission I pulled out the opener today and put it out of its misery and down the drain. Nasty to clean all that hop matter out of the bottom of the bottles.

stvo said:
My brain fart: Bottling 10 gal using one bottling bucket, pulled the wand off didn't shut spigot, and proceeded to rack the second half of batch on the priming sugar... wasn't paying attention till my socks got wet, I lost about 1-1/2 gal. I tasted it off the floor ( I know I know ) wasn't sweet at all. So I ended up with 3-1/2 gal of beer primed at 2.7vol for 5gals so far I've lost 7 in my large Rubbermaid container it's an amazing sound when they go off!!!!

Moved everything to the fridge today gonna wait a week to open a few see what happens.... the damage below

image-2628682991.jpg

image-1905270532.jpg

image-888635267.jpg

I have not once, not twice, but three times forgotten to add my bazooka filter to the mash tun before adding the grains and water... 153F water and I have to stick my hand in and screw in the filter, I fear it may be becoming a habit. Since it's preboil I just use a rubber glove and a bucket of cold water to chill my hand and then jump back in but damn is it ever hard to find that port when your hand is heating up.

I was bottling a saison and Belgian dark strong the same day. I used my auto-siphon to take a sample of the saison and then transferred the siphon directly into the BDS to to do the same. Yup, I transferred some 3711 yeast into the BDS. Fermentation restarted in the bottles....... boom!

My buddy came over to help me brew. We started drinking a lot of different beers. Next thing you know I forgot that I was filling/heating the HLT and another buddy comes over and says, "Hey that's an awesome waterfall you got in the garage! Is is supposed to smell like gas in there?"

Oops.

Back