Need advice on my dead guy's disapointing hops flavor/aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillWilly

Reaction score
I am almost ready to bottle my second batch of beer. Three weeks in primary and I just pulled a sample to measure the gravity.

Like my first batch, I enjoy tasting the different steps and was rather disappointed in my beer's hop flavor. I brewed a Rogue Dead Guy clone kit. Don't get me wrong...it tastes great. Just was thinking it would have a stronger hops aroma/flavor.

I don't think it's a ruined batch of beer. Just disappointed. Any ideas on how I can help it out? I'm thinking about dry hopping, but I've never done this and would not know where to start. Any ideas or advice?

Also, any thoughts on what went wrong?

A Dead Guy is about as far from a hoppy beer as you can get! It's supposed to be a "maibock styled ale" and so it's supposed to be a malt bomb with no hops flavor or aroma.

Instead of "fixing" this beer, why not make a hoppy beer next time if that's what you want? By making a Dead Guy clone, adding dryhops now will just mess it up.

Yooper said:
A Dead Guy is about as far from a hoppy beer as you can get! It's supposed to be a "maibock styled ale" and so it's supposed to be a malt bomb with no hops flavor or aroma.

Instead of "fixing" this beer, why not make a hoppy beer next time if that's what you want? By making a Dead Guy clone, adding dryhops now will just mess it up.

To be honest, I've only had the beer a couple of times a few months ago. At least you talked me out of 'tinkering' with a perfectly good beer.

Next up is an IPA. No doubt I will want it super hoppy.

This....
If it's not hoppy,at least you know you did it right.

Dead guy is ok, but not my favorite Rogue by a long shot.

I brewed the Dead Guy clone a few weeks ago. I did primary for two and secondary for two and I dry hopped in secondary with 2 additional oz of cascade that I had in my frig. After two weeks in secondary, the hops had all fallen and the beer cleared up considerably. I kegged and drank within 3 days and I was pleasantly surprised by the fruitiness and hop aroma. The beer itself wasn't explosive in terms of taste, but it was very nice to drink. I dry hopped just for the heck of it, I like hops lol.

image-3641043496.jpg

This is day 1 in secondary

Back